• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first precision rifle

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
I'm getting married this summer and my birthday is coming up soon, so I decided to splurge on something I've been interested in getting into for quite some time now - a precision rifle setup. I wanted something that would be of decent quality and last quite a long time as I probably won't be able to afford something like this again for a long time.

This rifle seemed to have everything I was looking for - tactical box magazine setup, scope mount, nice stock with cheek riser, fluted chrome lined barrel, and most importantly - a good reputation (at least from what I've read).

Not completely finished yet (still missing a few minor accessories), but here she is:

<span style="font-weight: bold">FN SPR A5M</span>
.308 winchester
FN TBM (10 round)
24" fluted barrel w/ chrome lined bore
Badger Medium Rings
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50

2be0178c-7e84-42cd-be7c-283fd215cff1_zpse69c967f.jpg

Re: My first precision rifle

Very nice rifle man! I have been married for 8 years now and I have just gotten into long range shooting so you have got a big head start on me. Congrats by the way.

Good looking rifle, enjoy it! Are you planning to get a bipod or shoot off a bag?

Awesome setup. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Also, congrats on the upcoming wedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome setup. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Also, congrats on the upcoming wedding. </div></div>

Thank you!

Nice rifle. Next one when you turn 50!
Good Luck

Very nice!!! I went back and forth for a few weeks between a fn spr a1 or the aac-sd. Wish I would have went with the spr to be honest. Let us know how it shoots!

Thanks guys. As soon as I get the opportunity to take it out to the range I'll report back.

The test target that came with the rifle had a .21" 3 shot group at 100 yards - so I'm hoping that's a good indicator of what this rifle is capable of.

She sure is pretty!

I'm trying to load up on enough guns my future wife won't notice when I get a new one.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The test target that came with the rifle had a .21" 3 shot group at 100 yards</div></div>

Any idea how they test fire these? Are the actions in the stock and vised in? Are they even in the stocks?

I had an A5, fantastic rifle right out of the box. You wont be disappointed. I will own another for sure. An SPR in 7CM sounds pretty awesome to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The test target that came with the rifle had a .21" 3 shot group at 100 yards</div></div>

Any idea how they test fire these? Are the actions in the stock and vised in? Are they even in the stocks? </div></div>

I'm not really sure how they test it, all I know is what I see from the log book and the test target. They test fired a total of 15 shots - half with Black Hills match and half with Federal match.

But what their testing procedures are I couldn't tell you - I'm sure a call to FN would be the best bet.

aww man, you put a SS scope on that thing?

thats a small 3 shot group, but make sure you shoot 5 shot groups to know the true capability.

J/K nice looking set-up. let us know how she shoots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scissorhands</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

thats a small 3 shot group, but make sure you shoot 5 shot groups to know the true capability.

J/K nice looking set-up. let us know how she shoots! </div></div>

I went back and forth on my glass choices, but the 5-20 SS HD seemed to be the best overall bang for the buck.

Do you think the SS was a bad choice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scissorhands</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I went back and forth on my glass choices, but the 5-20 SS HD seemed to be the best overall bang for the buck.

Do you think the SS was a bad choice? </div></div>

No, I think he was kidding. . at least I hope so. The SSHD is a perfectly good scope. I ran one on a full GAP build and it treated me perfectly fine.

IMG_0233.jpg

Aint no shame in my game for running an SS.

Looks great! Still trying to decide if I am going to get an FN A2/A4 or a 700V 26" heavy and throw it in a McRee...

Help me decide with a range report of this beast~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scissorhands</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you think the SS was a bad choice? </div></div>

No, I think he was kidding. . at least I hope so. The SSHD is a perfectly good scope. I ran one on a full GAP build and it treated me perfectly fine. </div></div>

Good to know - thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! Still trying to decide if I am going to get an FN A2/A4 or a 700V 26" heavy and throw it in a McRee...

Help me decide with a range report of this beast~ </div></div>

Thanks - I'll definitely post my results after my first range trip. My range is closed until March, but the first chance I get I'll be out there.

My only complaint is that its a heavy rig, but I expected that so I can deal with it. The fit and finish is superb and its just a solid rifle overall - more than makes up for the weight.

Its got a great trigger too.

I was just ribbing you a bit. nice looking rifle you got there. Hurry up and go shoot, let us know what she does.

This may sound weird to say, but for what it is its not that heavy of a rig. People just seem to compare them to hunting rifles, which are built to be light and fire a dozen times a year and go to the safe until next hunting season. A day of solid practice, you will be glad it isnt an 8# rifle after putting a couple hundred down range. especially running it w/o a brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may sound weird to say, but for what it is its not that heavy of a rig. People just seem to compare them to hunting rifles, which are built to be light and fire a dozen times a year and go to the safe until next hunting season. A day of solid practice, you will be glad it isnt an 8# rifle after putting a couple hundred down range. especially running it w/o a brake. </div></div>

That's a good way to think about it. Very good points.

Very nice and reasonably priced component choices. I think you did your research well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJimFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice and reasonably priced component choices. I think you did your research well. </div></div>

Thanks. I knew I wanted a FFP scope - I narrowed it down to the NF F1 and the SWFA SS HD, but after reading all the raving reviews about the SWFA I decided it was wiser to save a little cash and go with the SWFA.

My first choice would have been S&B, but I had a really tough time justifying the price tag. The SWFA seems to be a great pick though - I love it so far.

very nice WAY! i think you did a hell of a job thinking about what you want/needed in a rifle and scope, think you have years of enjoyment out of her!! when you get to the range post some pics man would love to see what you can do with her!!

The SWFA is GTG. I had one on my old rifle and really liked it. After having the FFP reticle I can't go back to SFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJimFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice and reasonably priced component choices. I think you did your research well. </div></div>

Thanks. I knew I wanted a FFP scope - I narrowed it down to the NF F1 and the SWFA SS HD, but after reading all the raving reviews about the SWFA I decided it was wiser to save a little cash and go with the SWFA.

My first choice would have been S&B, but I had a really tough time justifying the price tag. The SWFA seems to be a great pick though - I love it so far. </div></div>

Coulda gone Bushnell DMR.

Nice rig.
I'm jealous.

Joe

For those interested:

The SPRs are test fired in the stocks they ship with. It is one of the last steps in the build process, as you might imagine. They are test fired for accuracy off the shoulder of a range technician using a bench and sand bags inside the 100 yard tunnel. They should have included the shooters name on the test target and in the gunbook. A Leupold 10x or 16x scope is generally used.

The objective is to give a realistic sense of what the rifle is capable of without running too many rounds through it. It also gives the customer a starting point for ammo and hopefully a feeling of confidence when they open the box. The test target is not a statement of the best the rifle can shoot, just an indication of what it is capable of. I have beat the test target on every SPR I have shot the first time at the range. That does not mean that I am better than the range technician, its just that I don't have to qualify 25 rifles a day and can take my time.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DennisHoward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice WAY! i think you did a hell of a job thinking about what you want/needed in a rifle and scope, think you have years of enjoyment out of her!! when you get to the range post some pics man would love to see what you can do with her!! </div></div>

Thanks - will do!

I have an SPR A1, it just loves 175gr Federal Gold Match rounds, they are real performers. Great choice looks awesome!

I love how the FN bolt comes apart, so nice for cleaning.