• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Precision Rifle

VermontMarksman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Vermont
Hey guys, this is my first precision rifle, which I just put together and wanted to show off. I am new to long range shooting, and I think this should help me out a bit.
wink.gif
What do you think?

This is my set up:
Remington 700 SPS Varmint BDL .308, 26" barrel
X-mark Pro Trigger
HS Precision Stock with Karsten Cheek Rest
Burris Xtreme bases and Zee rings
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Mil-Dot Scope

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

Ethan

Re: My First Precision Rifle

Nice, but damn that barrel looks long! Chop it down to 20-22"

That rig should last you long enough to be able to really learn how to drive it before you NEED to upgrade. Well thought out starter.

Looks good, did you do the cheek rest yourself, or have it done.

Very nice rifle.. The urge to upgrade will be strong but resist the urge untill your confident that you can utilize the upgrades..

Here is my progression.
.308 VS in a pss stock.
December2007.jpg

Sent it off to GAP to get all done up, shot it for a while then sold it to fund a motorcycle.
100_2669.jpg

Now Im back to square one and I still cant shoot it any better than I could shoot the GAP. I need LOTS more practice.
DSC_0226.jpg

While the long range capabilities are still unkown of this rifle, I knew the GAP was GTG. I did make some great long range shots with that rifle.

heres groups of the GAP on top and the latest .308 on the bottom. Not much different, but thats my skill right now.
100_2367.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I look forward to taking her to the range. And 1eyedjack1, I bought the stock with the cheek rest already installed. I'll come back with some range results as soon as I can.

Nice rifle, and like a previous poster said, it looks well thought out. welcome to long range shooting!

That rifle would probably do more than most of the members on this site are capable of- especially me. Accuracy will most likely be more than acceptable. Shoot it until the accuracy goes to pot(5-10K rounds), then have it done up with a new barrel and whatnot.

The "whatnot" is what costs the long $$$$$.

Nice rifle and it should keep you busy for years to come.

David

I like the set up. I have that 10X Bushnell on one of my rigs. It is a nice little scope for the money. That should be a great rig to get you hooked in the sport.

Compliments on your rifle, very nice!
As a new guy in this field I wish you very satisfactory first visit to range. My first was 3 days ago and I can't wait for the next. I am sure the lady can do the job.