• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First PRS Match

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
This Saturday I am finally heading to my first PRS match. I never have been in any sort of competition with shooting and I have no clue what to expect. I just figured since I am a man of lots of questions, I'll do fine finding my way around. But I was curious what others take as far as a case and mags.

I only have my Pelican hard case which my rifle is broken down in. I noticed in the rules that the rifle cannot be out of the case until at the platform. Not sure what that means exactly. Does it mean I have to put my rifle away when I am finished shooting between stages? Or is there usually a bench, or somewhere that folks leave their rifles un-chambered? Would I be better off going to these matches with a nylon case with the rifle fully assembled?
As for mags? I know they have each stage ranging from 10-12 rounds. I only have one 10 round mag, plus 2 rounds on the side of my rifle for manual feed. Should I have 2 mags, or could I get away with one for now?

Reactions: Dendro
I have never been to a PRS match where they required rifles to be in a case at any time. You will need a chamber flag and they will have areas to stage the rifle with the mag out and chamber flag in. I would get two mags but one mag can get you by and I am sure people will loan you one as well. Everyone is very helpful!

It's likely a range rule where rifles can only be uncased at the firing line. From that point on you should be able to carry/sling it from stage to stage. Some matches you'll have guys uncase at their truck. It's range/match director specific. Carrying the rifle from stage to stage should be covered at the safety brief. Likely tell you to carry it w/ bolt open and muzzle down or up and no mag inserted.

Yes, get a second mag at the very least. I prefer a minimum of four in case one goes down. It also helps to have several mags loaded and ready for your next stage. You might even have a stage with a mandatory mag change after x amount of rounds. Generally the MD will allow you to just drop the one mag you have and reinsert it if you only have one mag. Depends on how "official" the match is.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
Get a second mag just because mags do fail.

As for casing between stages, I’ve never seen that. The small matches around here we just leave them pointed down range and on the ground with muzzles along the firing line. Some of the nicer ranges/ matches will have a rack

Don’t panic about the mag. You can use your 10 rounder and single feed the other two…IF YOU GET TO THEM….which, frankly, you probably won’t. There’s a lot going on at your first match. Don’t try to shoot all the allowed rounds. Focus on getting hits when you do shoot. You can’t miss fast enough to win anyways. Take what you have and you’ll be fine. I take three mags to every match. 2x10 and 1x12.

can you cut and paste that rule section, or say the match, sure someone will clarify for you.

Ill agree with everyone so far. Also if you have binos take them if not ask to look through other peoples to find the targets before its your turn to shoot. Let your squad know you're new and ask to try gear. Everyone will let you.

If you dont have a dope holder on your rifle take a roll of tape and a marker or pen to right your data and stage plan on. You can tape it to the bell of your scope or your wrist.

Reactions: NewsShooter
It's likely a range rule where rifles can only be uncased at the firing line. From that point on you should be able to carry/sling it from stage to stage. Some matches you'll have guys uncase at their truck. It's range/match director specific. Carrying the rifle from stage to stage should be covered at the safety brief. Likely tell you to carry it w/ bolt open and muzzle down or up and no mag inserted.

Yes, get a second mag at the very least. I prefer a minimum of four in case one goes down. It also helps to have several mags loaded and ready for your next stage. You might even have a stage with a mandatory mag change after x amount of rounds. Generally the MD will allow you to just drop the one mag you have and reinsert it if you only have one mag. Depends on how "official" the match is.
Well this I gotta work extra hard for then. Lol! Sako TRG mags are 200 a piece. This will be fun. 😂😂😂

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
It's your first match. It's going to be fun and you're likely going to not be amazing.

You can get the second mag if you want, but if you can't get one before the match, don't worry about it. You'll likely be timing out a ton anyway. If the rule is to have it in a case, as mentioned, get a soft case. I'd prioritize that just for convenience. Unless they specify a hard case. Get the lightest, easiest soft case your local sporting goods sells that will fit.

Take your time and just break as clean of shots as your current skill level allows. Don't worry about the time.

If you enjoy it enough and make matches something you do a lot of, almost everything you are doing or prefer now is going to change 50 times as your skill and knowledge increases. So there's no need to go nuts and try to get all your equipment perfect before you first match.

Make sure you have enough ammo and make sure you don't make any safety violations. After that, break as many clean shots as you can before your time expires. Decide how to progress after.

Run what you brung, and you will have tons of ideas for things you want to change.
TRG mags can be source from PX or Beretta sales at good discount to "new" pricing.

Last edited:
I read somewhere to go to your first match with no expectations. That's how I went into it, got lucky and shot probably better than I should have. The people were all awesome. You'll have a blast.
This is what I have heard. Looking forward to it!!!
It's your first match. It's going to be fun and you're likely going to not be amazing.

You can get the second mag if you want, but if you can't get one before the match, don't worry about it. You'll likely be timing out a ton anyway. If the rule is to have it in a case, as mentioned, get a soft case. I'd prioritize that just for convenience. Unless they specify a hard case. Get the lightest, easiest soft case your local sporting goods sells that will fit.

Take your time and just break as clean of shots as your current skill level allows. Don't worry about the time.

If you enjoy it enough and make matches something you do a lot of, almost everything you are doing or prefer now is going to change 50 times as your skill and knowledge increases. So there's no need to go nuts and try to get all your equipment perfect before you first match.

Make sure you have enough ammo and make sure you don't make any safety violations. After that, break as many clean shots as you can before your time expires. Decide how to progress after.
This is awesome info. Thanks!!!

I will say that I have been practicing long range with my 6.5CM every week for 2 years now at a private range hitting from 100-1,125 yards consistently. But mostly prone, or off a bench. Got all that dialed to a "T". But positional I have tried and I realize that's a whole other world of practice! Plus I never timed myself between shots. And I can see mass, nervous jitters hitting as it gets closer to my turn. So I'm in for a fun, first world rude awakening. If there's such a thing. LOL!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Focus on making good shots. If that means you only get three shots off in whatever the time for the stage is, that's fine. Then measure your success on how many hits you got off the shots you took. There will be a lot going on in your head while you're on the clock the first time. Just focus on being safe, go slow, and make good shots first and foremost.

Have fun!

Focus on making good shots. If that means you only get three shots off in whatever the time for the stage is, that's fine. Then measure your success on how many hits you got off the shots you took. There will be a lot going on in your head while you're on the clock the first time. Just focus on being safe, go slow, and make good shots first and foremost.

Have fun!

I 2nd this. Taking your time and snagging impacts will serve you better than rushing through the stage to beat the timer and racking up misses. Move at your own pace and take quality shots.

I will say that I have been practicing long range with my 6.5CM every week for 2 years now at a private range hitting from 100-1,125 yards consistently. But mostly prone, or off a bench. Got all that dialed to a "T". But positional I have tried and I realize that's a whole other world of practice! Plus I never timed myself between shots. And I can see mass, nervous jitters hitting as it gets closer to my turn. So I'm in for a fun, first world rude awakening. If there's such a thing. LOL!
Go to this thread and read post #25. It’s the best, single-location, summary of what’s important found on the hide.

Go to this thread and read post #25. It’s the best, single-location, summary of what’s important found on the hide.

Wow! Amazing info! I’ll be using this as a guideline for sure.

Is dialing the turrets a rule that must be used? My scope has the Tremor 3 reticle and I know it like the back of my hand. I only shoot using the reticle. Unless I try to reach past 1200 yards.

Is dialing the turrets a rule that must be used? My scope has the Tremor 3 reticle and I know it like the back of my hand. I only shoot using the reticle. Unless I try to reach past 1200 yards.
You don’t have to dial. Sometimes it’s better not to. *Most people do. Some even dial wind. Whatever you are practiced at.

It depends. On stages with just a 2-3 targets from only one position, I’d probably dial. But multiple targets that need to be engaged and re-engaged from different positions, dialing takes time so in that instance I’d probably dial for the first target then hold the difference for the remainder.

Time management is a big deal in PRS. Being able to quickly get into position and acquire the target is something I work on during dry fire. For example, one of the drills I do is practice getting into position and get on target using objects in my field from 300-600 yds away. I start from standing with all gear in hand like you’ll do at a match, and practice getting into different positions such as prone, or off a porch railing or top of my tripod. I started with 15 secs as my par time to get the first ‘shot’ off, then dropped it to 10 sec to challenge myself. Shooting NRL22 or PRS22 has really helped with time management and building a solid position from different kind of props.

Pretty much every new PRS shooter I've known did all their practice from a bench or prone, and the combination of position-building and time management came as rather shocking revelations to them.

If you have not practiced moving into position on a prop - barricades, barrels in various orientations, tank traps, you name it - with a timer running - do so as much as you can between now and match time... even if that means substituting a kitchen chair, step ladder, or what have you for typical stage props. Simply practicing moving into position and stabilizing the rifle on whatever improvised prop you can imagine is useful even if you don't put your crosshair onto a "target." Just moving and transitioning are skills to develop. You can get a good idea of the kinds of positioning and movement scenarios you'll encounter by looking at NRL22 courses of fire (COF) here.

A few other hints:
  • Tell the RO you're shooting your first match. You'll get a lot more guidance!
  • Recoil management: if your rifle jumps so far off target under recoil that you cannot see your hits or splash (assuming target is against something that will produce splash), your positioning and technique need work. Expect this, especially if you have little or no experience shooting from props.
  • Scope magnification: set it somewhere around 12-15x to start so you'll have enough field of view to find targets quickly. In the first stage of my first match, I had my scope cranked to max (20x)... couldn't locate targets... and when I did find one it was the WRONG one.
  • Return your scope to zero after every stage. Especially in rimfire matches, I and countless others have started a stage with a full revolution cranked onto the elevation turret. Oopsie.
  • Before each stage, take time to locate targets and landmarks near the targets to help you quickly locate them. If you have a half-decent set of binoculars or a spotting scope on a tripod, take them/it along. It's incredibly frustrating to get positioned on a prop and find yourself unable to locate targets.
As others have said, accept the fact that you will time out on some - maybe all - of the stages. It's far better to make a few solid, aimed shots than try to beat the clock. If the competition bug bites you, you'll learn very quickly that the ability to hit an 8" target at 400 yards kneeling behind a barricade or a 12" target at 700 from a picnic table is arguably more important than hitting a 24" target at 1000 from prone.

Enjoy.

I read somewhere to go to your first match with no expectations. That's how I went into it, got lucky and shot probably better than I should have. The people were all awesome. You'll have a blast.
Makes one of us. I went to my first match MARS match and hit 1s and 2s on the 10-12rd stages.

Brought a BMR with a Crimson Trace .22 scope. First rifle match ever! First real shooting since qualifying with my A1 in Basic. The price difference between the BMR and the B14R was too big to swallow at the time.

I DID manage to hit some longer range targets out of sheer luck. ...even tho I'd love to call is skill. That BDC reticle in the 4-12 scope was all right out to 100yds, but after that, it was a WAG. Wind calls? What's that?!

That set off a domino stack of 'well this scope isn't right for the PRS job' so I changed scopes to something with a Christmas tree reticle. That lead to 'this rifle isn't right for the PRS job' and changed rifles. Found out that that rifle (At-One) wasn't quite the right thing and changed rifles again.

If I knew now what I didn't know then, I'd have a 1.20" straight barrel in a chassis for that 2nd rifle (CZ 457) instead of 2 CZs in KRG Bravos. Still may, but since the former At-One is now the trainer rifle (suppressor) I'll need 2 of everything that I upgrade

OP: unless you're practicing off barricades somewhere, shooting off barricades isn't the same as shooting off benches at the range. I'm still trying to get to where I build the positions that you see in someone like Phil Velayo's videos with little to no wobble. It takes practice. Unless you're just gifted somehow, you're going to suck.

Those small groups you shot at the range? Yeah, they're nice, but much much harder to do when you have one shot on several targets at varying distances from one position, then you need to move and do it again. On the clock. With your squad watching.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. You're shooting against yourself, not the other guys.

M

edited to add: I've found a few traffic cones, a bucket or two, I break out a ladder, I shoot off the backs of a few different height chairs and the top of the gas grill for practice. All stuff around the house or found. My position building has gotten better, but I'm still not winning matches. ...then again, I'm shooting against guys that have been doing this far longer than my appx 18mos

Last edited:
I noticed positional was mentioned. If your range has a PRS type barricade, use it. If not, build one, or build a portable makeshift barricade.

Shoot 1" stickies @ 100yds. Every single shot, break and rebuild the position. You can take a followup shot if you like, but no more than one. Just to practice making a follow up. Don't shoot any other distance......it won't help. If you can't hit targets at 100yds where wind has almost no influence, you can't hit them further where it does.

Eventually work up to using a shot timer.

If you get to where you can consistently hit 80%+ 1" stickies from Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone @ 100yds under time......you will crush most of the field at any match. Without any other training such as wind or other things.

I noticed positional was mentioned. If your range has a PRS type barricade, use it. If not, build one, or build a portable makeshift barricade.

Shoot 1" stickies @ 100yds. Every single shot, break and rebuild the position. You can take a followup shot if you like, but no more than one. Just to practice making a follow up. Don't shoot any other distance......it won't help. If you can't hit targets at 100yds where wind has almost no influence, you can't hit them further where it does.

Eventually work up to using a shot timer.

If you get to where you can consistently hit 80%+ 1" stickies from Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone @ 100yds under time......you will crush most of the field at any match. Without any other training such as wind or other things.
Yes, my range has several obstacles to train from. We have a roof top, ladder barricade, tires, benches and one of those star-like barricades (LOL). They've been sitting there next to me all this time and I just started to use them two weeks ago. That's when I made up my mind to give PRS a try. I should invest in a shot timer I guess.

I’m fortunate that my range makes the props that are commonly seen at matches available to members to practice on. But at home I don’t have access to all that for dry fire. But I do have a step ladder, 5 gal bucket, saw horse, and lastly my tripod which can be set at different heights. I use those different props to dry fire from, working the bolt and breaking the shot (no live ammo on me). The step ladder is pretty versatile using the different rungs. For targets, I commonly use the insulator caps on fence posts as my ‘targets’.

As noted above, sometimes it’s hard to see the target with your naked eye, esp when it’s all shot up and blends into the background. Finding a landmark close to the target that I can see with my naked eye is what a lot of people do. The main club I shoot centerfire matches has dirt mounds, different shades of vegetation, draws, and a few roads out there that I can use. For example, Target 1 is at the bend in the road, Target 2 is just uphill of a clump of dark green sage brush below the top of the ridge, Target 3 is to the left of the draw and just before a light tan dirt mound. Write down the stage description’s target engagement sequence on a piece of tape that is stuck to your forearm, memorize those landmarks and use them to help you find your target. Keeping your magnification down also helps for a wider field of view. Lastly, point your rifle in the general location of the target when you get into position, look over the top of your scope to line it up with your landmark, then get behind the scope and the target (or landmark) should be in your FOV. I probably spend 10-15 mins per day X 3 times a week (or more) doing this in dry fire from one of my upstairs windows or off my back deck that overlooks my field.

I’m fortunate that my range makes the props that are commonly seen at matches available to members to practice on. But at home I don’t have access to all that for dry fire. But I do have a step ladder, 5 gal bucket, saw horse, and lastly my tripod which can be set at different heights. I use those different props to dry fire from, working the bolt and breaking the shot (no live ammo on me). The step ladder is pretty versatile using the different rungs. For targets, I commonly use the insulator caps on fence posts as my ‘targets’.

As noted above, sometimes it’s hard to see the target with your naked eye, esp when it’s all shot up and blends into the background. Finding a landmark close to the target that I can see with my naked eye is what a lot of people do. The main club I shoot centerfire matches has dirt mounds, different shades of vegetation, draws, and a few roads out there that I can use. For example, Target 1 is at the bend in the road, Target 2 is just uphill of a clump of dark green sage brush below the top of the ridge, Target 3 is to the left of the draw and just before a light tan dirt mound. Write down the stage description’s target engagement sequence on a piece of tape that is stuck to your forearm, memorize those landmarks and use them to help you find your target. Keeping your magnification down also helps for a wider field of view. Lastly, point your rifle in the general location of the target when you get into position, look over the top of your scope to line it up with your landmark, then get behind the scope and the target (or landmark) should be in your FOV. I probably spend 10-15 mins per day X 3 times a week (or more) doing this in dry fire from one of my upstairs windows or off my back deck that overlooks my field.
That's good practice being able to do it everyday. I try to fit dry fire in around my kids. Not easy this moment in time. But soon they'll be old enough to not want my attention so much. Which will suck, but it does free up some practice time.

Reactions: ECK
Yes, my range has several obstacles to train from. We have a roof top, ladder barricade, tires, benches and one of those star-like barricades (LOL). They've been sitting there next to me all this time and I just started to use them two weeks ago. That's when I made up my mind to give PRS a try. I should invest in a shot timer I guess.
Shot timers are fine, but I’ve found that a stop watch is fine. Stages vary from 90 secs to 105 secs to 120 secs in length. Usually when I practice I break it down into shorter segments (saves ammo) and lets me focus on one or two things. For example, I start off with a 10-15 sec par time to go from standing with all gear in hand to getting into position on a barricade and getting the first round on target. Do that a few times, then move to another drill. Such as: 1 target two shots from two different tips on the tank trap, total of 4 shots with a par time of 40 secs. When you can get all your hits in 40 secs, drop the time to 30 to challenge yourself or practice on a smaller steel plate or one that is further out. Then set up another drill using multiple targets to practice holding as well as dialing.

Unless checking dope or zero, I usually try to spend the majority of my live-fire time shooting positional off the various props. If you have a tripod, add that into the mix to practice using it for rear support while the front of the rifle is resting on the barricade.

I know you’re mainly focused on centerfire but have you considered rimfire? I got into that a couple years ago as a way to practice for centerfire, but now I find myself shooting way more rimfire matches (NRL22 and PRS22) each month. The same skills translate over, the one big difference is the centerfire plates are usually harder to see since they are further out (and managing the recoil).

Shot timers are fine, but I’ve found that a stop watch is fine. Stages vary from 90 secs to 105 secs to 120 secs in length. Usually when I practice I break it down into shorter segments (saves ammo) and lets me focus on one or two things. For example, I start off with a 10-15 sec par time to go from standing with all gear in hand to getting into position on a barricade and getting the first round on target. Do that a few times, then move to another drill. Such as: 1 target two shots from two different tips on the tank trap, total of 4 shots with a par time of 40 secs. When you can get all your hits in 40 secs, drop the time to 30 to challenge yourself or practice on a smaller steel plate or one that is further out. Then set up another drill using multiple targets to practice holding as well as dialing.

Unless checking dope or zero, I usually try to spend the majority of my live-fire time shooting positional off the various props. If you have a tripod, add that into the mix to practice using it for rear support while the front of the rifle is resting on the barricade.

I know you’re mainly focused on centerfire but have you considered rimfire? I got into that a couple years ago as a way to practice for centerfire, but now I find myself shooting way more rimfire matches (NRL22 and PRS22) each month. The same skills translate over, the one big difference is the centerfire plates are usually harder to see since they are further out (and managing the recoil).
This is very fine advice for practice drills. I will definitely use this method at my range from now on. Still need
To acquire a tripod. In the works. I haven’t thought of going 22. May hit me at some point.

IIRC you’re getting ready to shoot your first match. I acquired things for my kit over a period of several years once I got a chance to see what other guys were using and figured out what I needed. I didn’t win the lottery so I went slow, one item at a time.

IMO, rifle/scope, 2 mags, bipod and something to calculate your dope is the bare bones minimum you need to shoot a match. Shoot a match or three, check out your squad mates gear, ask question, most guys will let you play with their stuff.

Not really in any order but this is what I would focus on getting:

Kestrel 5700 w/ AB and link -for dope and environmentals. You can probably get away with an app on your phone and ask others what the temp, humidity, density altitude are, but you see a lot of guys packing Kestrels at matches for a reason.

A role of 2” painters tape and a pen. Tear off a piece, write your dope on it and stick it to your arm. Or bungie up a Velcro tab to your scope and get some small plastic cards to write your dope on and then stick it to the bungie tab. I use hotel room key cards and cover them in painters tape. Or Cole Tac sells the above.

Armageddon Gear Schmedium bag with heavy fill. If I could only have one bag this is the one I would buy, carry, and use. I use it to shoot off of on most props and also use it as a rear bag when prone.

10x42 (or higher mag) binos. Use those to find the targets and to gauge the wind while waiting for your turn to shoot. And spot for others but then you’ll also want a tripod for stability. But see below on laser range finders.

Next I would look at getting a tripod. Two section or three. Two is faster to deploy, three is easier to store in your pack. For a while I didn’t have a head or leveler on mine, just used laid my Schmedium on top of the apex to shoot off of or rest my binos on.

A Laser range finder might be handy to have at some point, but most PRS matches give you the ranges for each stage, plus plenty of people have them so you can do without your own for a while. But if you do want your own, I reccommend a pair of 10x42 binos with LRF built in, even handier if the bino can pair to your Kestrel so once you range a target the display also shows your dope. Not really needed for most PRS matches but very helpful for NRL Hunter style matches where you have to find/range/engage on the clock. Sig or Vortex both make perfectly serviceable binos with LRF.

Last, a pack to carry all your gear in. Maybe some snacks and extra clothes depending on the weather.

The above ought to give you plenty to research and spend Christmas money on…

IIRC you’re getting ready to shoot your first match. I acquired things for my kit over a period of several years once I got a chance to see what other guys were using and figured out what I needed. I didn’t win the lottery so I went slow, one item at a time.

IMO, rifle/scope, 2 mags, bipod and something to calculate your dope is the bare bones minimum you need to shoot a match. Shoot a match or three, check out your squad mates gear, ask question, most guys will let you play with their stuff.

Not really in any order but this is what I would focus on getting:

Kestrel 5700 w/ AB and link -for dope and environmentals. You can probably get away with an app on your phone and ask others what the temp, humidity, density altitude are, but you see a lot of guys packing Kestrels at matches for a reason.

A role of 2” painters tape and a pen. Tear off a piece, write your dope on it and stick it to your arm. Or bungie up a Velcro tab to your scope and get some small plastic cards to write your dope on and then stick it to the bungie tab. I use hotel room key cards and cover them in painters tape. Or Cole Tac sells the above.

Armageddon Gear Schmedium bag with heavy fill. If I could only have one bag this is the one I would buy, carry, and use. I use it to shoot off of on most props and also use it as a rear bag when prone.

10x42 (or higher mag) binos. Use those to find the targets and to gauge the wind while waiting for your turn to shoot. And spot for others but then you’ll also want a tripod for stability. But see below on laser range finders.

Next I would look at getting a tripod. Two section or three. Two is faster to deploy, three is easier to store in your pack. For a while I didn’t have a head or leveler on mine, just used laid my Schmedium on top of the apex to shoot off of or rest my binos on.

A Laser range finder might be handy to have at some point, but most PRS matches give you the ranges for each stage, plus plenty of people have them so you can do without your own for a while. But if you do want your own, I reccommend a pair of 10x42 binos with LRF built in, even handier if the bino can pair to your Kestrel so once you range a target the display also shows your dope. Not really needed for most PRS matches but very helpful for NRL Hunter style matches where you have to find/range/engage on the clock. Sig or Vortex both make perfectly serviceable binos with LRF.

Last, a pack to carry all your gear in. Maybe some snacks and extra clothes depending on the weather.

The above ought to give you plenty to research and spend Christmas money on…
I guess I made all the right choices this far. I have the Kestrel 5700 Elite, Vortex range finding binos and shmedium gamechanger. Only things I lack are extra mags, tripod, spotting scope and dope card mount. Pretty much got everything else. Great to see I’m on the right track.

Reactions: ECK
I guess I made all the right choices this far. I have the Kestrel 5700 Elite, Vortex range finding binos and shmedium gamechanger. Only things I lack are extra mags, tripod, spotting scope and dope card mount. Pretty much got everything else. Great to see I’m on the right track.
Scratch that spotting scope right off your list. You have binos.

Look at that, I just saved you $1000!

You’re all set! Agree on skipping the spotting scope. The dope card holders are handy to have. Like I said above, Cole-Tac makes a nice one that bungees onto your scope. I made my own w/ some 1 1/2” nylon webbing, length of bungee cord, velcro, and hotel room key cards w/ painters tape on them. Tear off the tape when done with the stage and re-apply for the next stage.

I hope you do a post match review. I want to get into PRS myself but all I have at the moment is an AR with a match barrel and a 1-8 LPVO. lol. Not ideal by any means.

If you
I hope you do a post match review. I want to get into PRS myself but all I have at the moment is an AR with a match barrel and a 1-8 LPVO. lol. Not ideal by any means.
where are you located?

Not having equipment as MANY matches will have loaner guns and equipment. You provide ammo they will find you a rifle to shoot.

Scratch that spotting scope right off your list. You have binos.

Look at that, I just saved you $1000!
So no spotting scope??? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy not buying one if I don't have to. Was told by some they are good for reading mirages. But I'm assuming from what I'm hearing that this sort of thing isn't needed in PRS?

So no spotting scope??? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy not buying one if I don't have to. Was told by some they are good for reading mirages. But I'm assuming from what I'm hearing that this sort of thing isn't needed in PRS?
I’ve shot literally hundreds of days of matches over the last two years. Never once have I wanted a spotting scope. If someone gave me one, I’d immediately sell it and buy the fanciest binos in the 12x magnification range (10-15) that the money would afford.

If I was an RO of a single target stage or shot at 1000+ all day, I might feel differently. Maybe.

I’m sure someone will have the opposite opinion.

Spotting scopes ised to be everywhere and now all you see is 95% binos. Skip the spotting scope and I’d skip the tripod for now as well. More and more matches are seeming to produce stages where the tripod isn’t used. Again a few years ago everyone had tripods. No I don’t see them much being used.

In SoCal. 80 here today. 😂
Wear sunscreen
Still need to acquire a tripod. In the works.
It’s your first match, don’t buy a tripod yet, just borrow one if you want to try rear support.
There will almost always be an open set of binoculars/spotters open on a tripod to use as people are shooting and losing mags and prepping for the next stage etc… just don’t turn any of their focus knobs.

A tripod is so valuable for stable spotting….so you mentioned seeing mirage…that it would be one of the first pieces of gear I’d go looking for. You don’t need one for shooting. Any match that has a tripod stage is going to give you one to use. What you do need one for is for creating a stable standing height platform for your binoculars so you can actually look at targets in detail, you can watch other people shoot and see their trace, you can get all your shit up out of the dirt, etc. etc.

Maybe one stage in three matches I’ll find some reason to use it as rear support or something. Mostly its a spotting tool. But I’d rather shoot a match with no bipod than without a tripod to put my Binos on.