• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Real Bolt-Action / Shorty!

AMM0

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
WISCONSIN
www.facebook.com
Guys! I found one! I actually found one!!

Not sure if you guys recall the thread I posted up a few weeks ago. But I wanted a bolt-action chambered in .308 that I could use for deer hunting (or any North American game) here in Wisconsin... but mostly deer. I hunt in the northern part of the state where it's VERY thick and I just didn't want a rifle with a really long 24"-26" barrel. I'm not taking several hundred yard shots where I hunt. If I take a 50-75 yard shot, that would be considered a long shot where I hunt.

That prompted me to look at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle. Since become a 'Hide member last year, it's been the one rifle at the top of my find list. I was initially going to go that route and simply have the barrel chopped down because the 16-18" shorty rifle thread is my favorite thread here on the 'Hide.

So.... that was my plan, until I learned more about a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle that comes from the factory with a 16.5" barrel from a couple of posts here on the 'Hide. So I did a lot of research and learned that this rifle is Remington SKU #85538. It seems to essentially be a Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD rifle with a 16.5" barrel, 1:10 twist and the same 5/8"-24 threaded barrel. It also has the same Hogue overmolded stock in Ghillie Green. It's a rifle exclusive to Sports South Louisiana and to the best of my knowledge, I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> it might be discontinued... but don't quote me on that. Regardless, I signed up for e-mail alerts from over 15 different online gun dealers to be notified when one became available and was finally notified last week. I picked the rifle up from my local FFL this afternoon.

This is my first real bolt-action unless you count the Mossberg .17HMR that I use for small game. This will not be a safe queen. I plan on using and practicing with this rifle as much as I possibly can.

This is basically it. It's as bare bones as it comes right now so I know it needs a ton of work before it's worthy of the shirty rifle thread. But I'll have fun researching the various accessories.
smile.gif
I need glass (obviously). I'd love to add a bipod, muzzle brake and a DBM, if at all possible. There's a lot more I can think of, but those are the the immediates that comes to mind. Fiirst things first is a hard case for it.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post.
What do you guys think??

DSCF4323_zps6f77e7aa.jpg

DSCF4324_zpse8f67e87.jpg

DSCF4322_zps13d93e17.jpg

DSCF4326_zps707223fb.jpg

DSCF4327_zpse6947a68.jpg

DSCF4328_zpsf5872c7b.jpg

DSCF4329_zpsdb5ca135.jpg

Re: My First Real Bolt-Action / Shorty!

Congrats, 16.5" looks short for a precision rifle. I am a little confused why you want a bipod for a hunting rig? I have never needed one and use it for prone only.
Have you considered getting a sling too? It'll help you in shooting positionally with no support.

Well, aside from hunting I'd like to be able to break it out and use it at the range frequently. I'm a member of a local gun club here where I've got access to a range very close to where I live. I was assuming the bipod would assist with range accuracy?

I wouldn't change anything on it out the gate. That's a pretty slick rifle and thanks for sharing!

too clean... at least rub some dirt on it!!!

very nice rifle. have fun with it.

I think it's a beaut, and sounds perfect for the application you describe. I'd like one like that, but maybe with a 18" tube. Enjoy, and give us a range report when able.

One warning from one who's been there, a 16.5" barrel with a brake on it is deafening! It's a very handy barrel length for a suppressor, though.

Forget the bipod. I recommend buying a medium PRS tripod and the SP1 saddle. Easily collapses to bipod height for prone, while also stabilizing the rifle when sitting, kneeling, and even standing when hunting.

Great choice on the rifle by the way!

Like the rifle. I have been looking for that exact one to for a long time now. Would you mind shareing were you got the rifle from? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! And thanks for lookin' at my pics!

LONELY WOLF: I'm gonna need to do some research and find the items you referenced. If you think they would fit my application better, I'm all ears. I'll do some Googling and see what I can find and appreciate the tip!

Looks good. I have not ben able to find one, so I am thinking about having my AAC-SD chopped.

Great purchase, now mount a badger base,badger rings and a bushnell 10x mildot mil turrets scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: takashi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats, 16.5" looks short for a precision rifle. I am a little confused why you want a bipod for a hunting rig? I have never needed one and use it for prone only.
Have you considered getting a sling too? It'll help you in shooting positionally with no support. </div></div>

Umm.... My hunting rifles are my precision rifles, one in the same.... I have taken numerous game and non game animals (varmints) while my rifle was rested on the bipod... The only time I take offhand shots is at very close distances (within 100 yards) and that is because I have spooked the unseen animal while moving into my observation postion.

I should add that most of the time the bipod has been used it was positioned on a rock or stump while I was in the standing, sitting, or kneeling positions. It keeps $500-$700 stocks from getting all scratched up. I also carry a set of wooden shooting stick to use while calling coyotes, works good for sitting position while in the tall grass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great purchase, now mount a badger base,badger rings and a bushnell 10x mildot mil turrets scope!</div></div>

A fixed 10x scope probably isn't the best option for short range hunting like he's doing. I would go with a lower powered adjustable like the 2.5-10x vortex viper pst or something similar.

Or the Midway exclusive Weaver tactical 3-10x40, great scope for the money!

You guys just answered my next question.... Badger base and Badger rings? I was looking at various bases and rings last night before I slumped over my laptop in a sea of websites of Remington 700 accessories. hahaha.
smile.gif

Is the 20MOA base the norm for this gun? I did a few searches and it seems like that's what everyone is utilizing.

I'm sorry for the newbie question... I just want to make sure I take my time and do this right the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should add that most of the time the bipod has been used it was positioned on a rock or stump while I was in the standing, sitting, or kneeling positions. It keeps $500-$700 stocks from getting all scratched up. I also carry a set of wooden shooting stick to use while calling coyotes, works good for sitting position while in the tall grass. </div></div>

This was my thought process, as well. I was thinking the bipod could be propped up against a stump or tree branch while I'm whitetail hunting. Just as another means of steadying the rifle.

That's a great rig for what you described that you wanted it for. If you trigger isn't consistent, then you might want to change that, but that's all I would change.

You may also want to reconsider the rings you are considering. Reason is, that on that stock those rings on top of a rail might set the ocular lens of the scope too high. When your cheek is welded to the stock, your eye will not line up with the lens, so you'll have to adjust by lifting your head. That's bad for consistent accuracy. I'm not 100% sure about this combo, just check first.

Another option is a set of Talley one piece light weight rings mounted directly to the action. Combine those with a scope that has a small objective lens such as a 44 MM, and you'll be very happy. Not to mention that its a lot less money. Best of luck.

So... do I essentially need to obtain the scope first and then look at what base would suit both the scope and rifle together?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So... do I essentially need to obtain the scope first and then look at what base would suit both the scope and rifle together? </div></div>

A 20MOA base is a 20MOA base.

The scope you get will dictate ring size, either 1" or 30mm, low or medium height.

It's also worth looking at Seekins rings and bases, cheaper than badger and I actually like them more.

PRS
Precision Rifle Solutions

Lots of positive feedback to be found on Sniper's Hide if you do a search. Great affordable product. I love shooting from a tripod, but it is different than a bipod. I would try it first if possible.

Nice find, grab a bipod from crossgun in the group buy area and use the savings for glass :) fwiw I love my weaver grand slam (not the tactical model)3-10x40

I just ordered Dead Nutz mounts for my Savages, got the Nikon M308 that comes with a 20 MOA mount, will sit on top of the EGW non MOA base for my new sps Varmint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GrantA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice find, grab a bipod from crossgun in the group buy area and use the savings for glass :) fwiw I love my weaver grand slam (not the tactical model)3-10x40 </div></div>

I have a grand slam as well and love it. Glass was impressively clear for its price, I also snagged a very unique version with ffp/mildot/ and target turrets. It's my favorite optic to date. But that's also possibly due to me not spending $1500+ on glass.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!!

I'm really appreciative for everyone being so helpful! I got a bunch of PM's from everyone who tossed in their two pennies, as well. Much appreciated!!

So..... the very first thing I did was order a case for it. It's currently propped up in my closet still in the box which isn't any fun at all. I love the Pelican cases, but just couldn't justify that kind of cash for a gun case (even though I know they're completely insane)

So I went with this one: Boyt H4-series

I scored it online at Bass Pro Shops for $99 with free shipping which seemed like a good buy and the reviews I found online on other websites seemed positive. <span style="font-style: italic">*shrug*</span> We'll see. I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week and will post pics when I get it set-up.