• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First, Real Precision Rifle: A 20" AR-15. What Next?

Will_Power

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
An Okie in Orygun
Much to my detriment, I've been the sort of guy who has really dicked around with different types of rifles without being serious about any of them since getting into firearms several years ago. It took me a while to pull my head out of my ass, but now I'm committing to taking my marksmanship seriously.

I finished up this build earlier this month and am looking forward to learning on it... and maybe getting in a little coyote hunting once my skills get up to snuff.

Photos

Precision_Port.png

Precision_Starboard.png

Build List

• 20" 1:7 SDM-R White Oak barrel, .223 Wylde chamber, M4 feed ramps
  • BE Meyers flash hider
  • PRI flip-up gas block
  • Seekins SP3R flat-bottomed handguard
  • Harris BRM-S bipod affixed via a PWS KeyMod Bipod adapter (set the bipod far back; has been replaced with a Noveska TRX mount)
  • Anderson forged lower
  • Gieselle SSA-E trigger
  • BCM lower parts kit
  • Rock River Winter Trigger Guard
  • YHM EZ Pull extended takedown pins (it's a little thing, but I love them)
  • LaRue A-PEG pistol grip
  • White Oak milspec forger upper with M4 cuts
  • Wilson milspec, staked, and HPT/MPI bolt carrier and bolt
  • BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 (large) charging handle
  • Mappul MOE Rifle fixed stock (with additional QD socket kit that it doesn't come with)
  • Magpul backup rMBUS rear sight
  • Leupold Mark 2 one-piece picatinny scope mount
  • Primary Arms 4-14x44m FFP Mil/Mil scope (yeah, it's a cheap $230 scope, but I have yet to read anyone that's had a problem on a .223-.308 class gun - lots of good reviews, and I've been pleased with it so far. Clicks could be a little more firm, but the glass is better than I expected. It'll do for now until I upgrade later this year).
I've been picking up some of the Prvi Partisan 75gr .225 Match HPBT ammo - reports that I've read all are pretty favorable after the addressed the low velocity issues a few years back. It's plenty cheap and allows me to stack it deep and shoot it plenty (which was the entire reason for going with a run of the mill AR-15 rather than a 6.5 Grendel or something in .308 or the like).

So what's next?

I'm taking an Appleseed class in June with this rifle. Seems to be a bit of variability with the quality of instructors and the gamification of their Rifleman testing, but regardless, an Appleseed shoot seems like a great starting point for something like myself.

A data book is a definite, must-have purchase, right? I'll be picking up one of the Impact premade module data books this week along with a rear bag. Since I'm doing my best just to get my breathing and finger work down at 100 and 200 yards, is there anything else I need to purchase, particularly?

I really don't want to be all high-speed, low-drag presumptuous with this. I'm here to learn and not portray myself as anything else than an ignoramus.

That's a nice looking build and a good choice on parts for a first-time AR platform. The .223 is a fun caliber to shoot and really shines out to 500 - 600 yards with the 75 grain pills. You've got the right idea to start with a rig and caliber that will encourage practice, practice, practice... Let us know how she shoots.

I will admit I giggled when I saw the thread title but that's a very nice rifle. I like those Moe rifle stocks and want to build a 20" similar to yours. I prefer the 68-69 grainers myself but most of my 223 shooting is 200-300 on pdogs in big wind. IMO, with a rifle that fine I would work up a handload.