• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first reloading attempt was a failure, what now?

This is not a failure. Failure is when you go to pull bullets with the inertia puller and only the lead comes out leaving the jacket still in the case. #BTDT

Reactions: iceng
We've all done it in one way or another. Over charged vs. undercharged vs. not charged. Small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers (1/3 didn't go bang! I fed them through again and the all went bang!) Forgetting the primers, these don't go bang! at all. Incorrect (long) case trim length for bottleneck cartridges...at least they don't chamber. Bullet crimping. The list goes on.

Handgun cartridges use such small amounts of powder it is easy to double charge one, usually followed by one with no powder. (Always perform a visual inspection of charged cases before seating bullets.) At least when you double charge a bottleneck cartridge you have powder up into the funnel and powder spilled when you remove the funnel. Put down a sheet of paper to catch the overflow to make it easier to clean it up.

I tend to load in batches of 3-5 when working up a load. Once I've zeroed in on a load its batches of 20-100 so using the bullet puller isn't such a major task. (I prefer the collet style over an impact puller.) As you gain more experience you will remember all of your "Lessons Learned" and hopefully not make them again ...well... not very often.

I got impatient trying to find someone with a 9mm revolver so I went on ahead and purchased the RCBS collet/bullet puller. It works awesome. It is only taking me about 20 minutes per hundred and I get to keep all the components! Thanks for the advise!

When I start loading these again, do I need to resize, flair, charge, and seat or just charge and reseat?

Reactions: iceng
Load as you normally would. Case prep. You wont need to size, but a case mouth flare will help seating so you dont strip jackets or wrinkles in the brass