• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first Rifle Kraft Drill

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Today I shot the Kraft drill for the first time. I was shooting a 20" LMT MWS in 6.5CM with factory 140 ELD ammo. I shot off a HOG Saddle tripod with a RRS 40mm ballhead. I will say this drill exposed the weaknesses in my tripod system. I only used the tripod for the standing, kneeling, and sitting position. I used a rear bag and bipod for prone.

I took my time to build each position and still had quite a bit of wobble zone. I felt myself about to make a bad shot and took my finger off the trigger and reset the shot process. I still had 3 shots outside of the 1 MOA area. My biggest challenge was kneeling. I found a stable method that works for me, but I really had to play around with NPA and tripod height. This tripod sucks for sitting. There's too much flex in the system and literally bounces. The legs were spread out almost to the max to clear the center column and have enough elevation for a proper sitting position.

All in all, I think this was a solid good first run at the Kraft drill. I can see why people like the newer shooter specific tripods now. I was only using this tripod for hunting coyotes at night which always meant I was standing. Doing this drill showed the limitations of this tripod. I am sure with more practice it could be done, but given my struggle with it, there's no way I could've managed a 2moa or better at distance under time constraints.

IMG_7138.JPG

The Hog Saddle is typically a pretty solid setup, it isn't as heavy as others, but that is because it is made for portability.
I'm no expert at shooting from a tripod, but I do know that you have to have the technique down correctly.

try it with a gamechanger on top versus clamped into a small ballhead
Yeah, I looked at the specs for the ballhead. It's max load according to RRS is 18lbs, and my rifle is just about 15.5lbs. I plan on getting the 55mm ballhead since my rifle is going to get a thermal clip on device in the near future adding another 2lbs when attached. I just prefer ballhead vs GC since I do more hunting than competition shooting.

Reactions: b6graham
Yeah, I looked at the specs for the ballhead. It's max load according to RRS is 18lbs, and my rifle is just about 15.5lbs. I plan on getting the 55mm ballhead since my rifle is going to get a thermal clip on device in the near future adding another 2lbs when attached. I just prefer ballhead vs GC since I do more hunting than competition shooting.
anvil30? versus a 55mm

might be worth looking at a two vets recon v2 as well

anvil30? versus a 55mm

might be worth looking at a two vets recon v2 as well
I’m still learning the ins and outs of tripod setups. I’ve had the hog saddle tripod for a couple years. First year I used it with a pint sized GC. Then last year I bought the RRS SOAR 40mm ballhead. I didn’t like the rifle free floating on the GC bag during hunts whereas the ballhead allows me to lock it in and look around.

At this point, I’m growing tired of the locking system on the hog saddle. I’ve tried different methods of deploying on the clock, and it’s all slow. The latches are a pain to grab with thick gloves on for winter hunts. The tripod itself is also heavier than the beefiest RRS tripod people use for shooting.

I just wasn’t sure if it was the ballhead being pushed to it’s max load rating or the flex in the tripod that’s giving me less wobble than I’d like. I’d like to think it’s the $150 tripod vs the $450 ballhead that’s the weakest part of the system.