• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My First Rifle

Matman2010

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
Kansas
Well guys, I have been looking around and always wanted to get a precision rifle of my own. I saw that a lot of people where having really good luck with the Remington 700 SPS-varmints so I picked one up in November of 09.

I have worked some loads up for it and was able to get a .35" 3 shot group at 100 yards with the factory stock and a SS 10x42. After noticing the POI shifting when the stock flexed or anything I decided to go ahead and order one of the Bell and Carlson Medalist/Tactical A2 stocks. I have yet to shoot it, but when I get more bullets in I will post some group pictures.

Rem700SPSV001.jpg

Rem700SPSV003.jpg

Rem700SPSV005.jpg

Build Specs:
Remington 700 SPS Varmint
EGW 20 MOA Base
Burris Rings
SS 10x42 Rear focus
Bell and Carlson Medalist/Tactical A2 stock

Future plans:
CDI BM w/ ACIS Mags

I need to lower my scope about 1/4" but I think the scope will hit the base if I try to go any lower, Does anyone else have an SS 10x42 rear focus w/ Burris 30MM Tactical rings on a 20MOA Base? Does it fit?

-Matt

Re: My First Rifle

Looks like a nice rifle! I can't wait to pick up mine.

Thaanks guys, I'm thinking I might just have to get another one in .243 if I don't get my dpms lr-243 to shoot tighter groups.

i'll take a shot at your scope mount questions. i'm pretty sure the low burris rings will work for you.
i have a remmy varmint with a egw heavy 20 moa base and low burris tactical 1" rings; they hold a nikon manarch scope with a 42mm odjective. the OD of the objective is 1.95ish. i have plenty of room for scope caps.

Well, I'm not worried about the objective hitting the barrel, Im worried about the scope coming into contact with my egw base, with the way I have the scope set forward I think that I will have to pull the scope back some so that the rear focus will clear, but then I think the objective will hit the base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matman2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I'm not worried about the objective hitting the barrel, Im worried about the scope coming into contact with my egw base, with the way I have the scope set forward I think that I will have to pull the scope back some so that the rear focus will clear, but then I think the objective will hit the base. </div></div>
ah gotcha. too many factors in our differing set ups to give you a good answer there. if you have a good shop around that stocks alot of rings they'll usually let u bring in your gun and test fit a few sets.

Here's mine, it's a 20X, these are not Burris rings but they are low,on a 20moa EGW base, the scope fits, and there is about 1/8th inch clearance at the focusing ring.
It dose not leave much room to move the scope forward or back to adjust for eye relief, but it fits me just fine.
Curt

100_9679.jpg

What kind of rings are those Netz? I could come back just a little with my scope, so it might all work out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Netz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine, it's a 20X, these are not Burris rings but they are low,on a 20moa EGW base, the scope fits, and there is about 1/8th inch clearance at the focusing ring.
It dose not leave much room to move the scope forward or back to adjust for eye relief, but it fits me just fine.
Curt

100_9679.jpg
</div></div>

Yo son thats tight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Netz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine, it's a 20X, these are not Burris rings but they are low,on a 20moa EGW base, the scope fits, and there is about 1/8th inch clearance at the focusing ring.
Curt

100_9679.jpg
</div></div>Are your rings on backwords? the nut seems to be facing the wrong way.

no trigger guard and bedding screws sticking out of the bottom and the primer/bondo? say maybe he just did it for illustration but they do face the opposite side of what i was taught.

nice savage. new recoil lug, new barrel too??