• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Rifle

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
So after much time and persuading i finally got my first rifle.
I did alot of reading here on the hide and elsewhere i decided, because im a beginner id get a Remington 700 SPS Varmit in .308. I then ordered an EGW 0MOA Base, and Burris XTR 1" low rings (1/4" i think?). Well i got the rifle all set up, sighted it in and shot some cheap Winchester 150gr Softpoint hunting rounds at 100 yards, I personally shot about a 1" group, but i figured it was me, muggy day, bugs, laying in the dirt shooting off a sandbag etc. I believe that i still have a ton to learn, and i guarantee this rifle can out shoot me. But i looked around the crown and noticed this (see pics below.) Im not sure what it is. Before shooting that day i cleaned the gun, Boresnake, Two - Three patches of Powder Solvent, Brass brush 5 times, dry patches, 2 with rem oil, and two dry ones. Oiled up the action a tid bit around the moving parts, and went. Any idea what this is? Im new to the shooting world, and haven't been exposed to the barrel problems. Should i just clean the gun again? I dont want to overclean it, nor did i "Break in the barrel"
Any help would be appreciated! Going shooting tomorrow and hopefully i can shoot a decent group, regardless ill post it here.

(The cloth is wrapping some mouse pad cut ups, so i can get a better cheek weld until i upgrade the stock.)
Rifle4.jpg

Rifle1.jpg

Rifle3.jpg

Rifle2.jpg

Re: My First Rifle

I'd say put a few more rounds through it, get the barrel broke in well and if it still shows up after you have shot it and cleaned a few times then deal with it. I dont think it will still be there after some more rounds through it. Great gun though.. Ive got the same gun in a 204 and I love it..Tac driver straight out of the box.. One other thing Im not sure what everyone else thinks about this but I never oil my bolt action rifles. It all seems good cause you want everything to work smoothly but the one thing oil does well is collect dust and dirt and and then it likes to bind things up... You wont ever wear out your bolt because you dont oil it... Just my preference thats all..

Great Rifle

Ahh ok. I guess i learn something new everyday.
With my experience in, (going to get flamed in this) Paintball (not the tacticool urban sniper ghost warrior paintball) the bolt wears out quickly if not properly oiled. Seems like it would just make sense to make things smoother on the bolt in a rifle.
Thanks

Yeah everything you've ever learned tells you to keep it lubed but there isnt any real heat friction build up when you operate your bolt. If it was your AR I would say yeah keep that thing oiled up. You got heat, you got friction and you can get wear. Just doesnt happen in a bolt rifle unless you can operate it like a maniac. All my bolts are kept bone dry.

My barrel was the same way when I purchased my SPS-V. You just need to realize its a factory barrel and not a Bartlein, Kreiger, Broughton, etc. More work is put into those barrels than a factory barrel from Remington. If you were able to put a camera down that tube, you'd be amazed at the many flaws within the barrel.

Don't get me wrong, they are still great rifles and mine has never given me any accuracy issues. Just shoot the crap out of the barrel and when you notice accuracy is depreciating, then switch out the barrel. Have fun with the rifle... You'll enjoy it!! Just get yourself a Mcmillan stock, AZ Precision bolt knob, bed it yourself, and you'll be set for a long time!

Dont worry about the barrel. I only clean mine about every 300 rounds or so. Even then i just run patches of butches bore shine until the patch is mostly clean.

Get a Bell & Carlson medalist stock. I think there $209 at Stockeys online. I just changed my stock out after two years to an A5 it was a great stock. If I purchase another SA Remington I will reuse that stock. It is a huge upgrade to the factory stock.

I have the exact rifle, my first as well. I have the EGW 20 MOA base and rings and they seem to hold my Mark 4 in place very well. My only advice is to bed the factory stock and chop of the "pads" that the barrel sit on (which I did) or replace with the $200 B&C which I just did a few days ago. The bedding made my 6 inch groups turn into 1 inch groups. The only reason I replaced it is because the angle of the comb was too much for me and I had about 3/4 of an inch of cardboard duct taped on to get my eye in the right place. If you're interested in my bedded stock PM me.
Don't worry about the stuff with your barrel. It'll work it's self out. You wouldn't believe how rough mine was and the reamer (I'm guessing?) lines were horrible. After ~400 rounds it has smoothed out significantly. It's a great system for the money and I've rang steel at 1k with it. Can't beat it for a first rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kk.
Cant see myself spending 800$ on a stock though!
Already looking at AZ precision knobs </div></div>

800?? mcmillans are like 500..or so the website says

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Staghead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kk.

800?? mcmillans are like 500..or so the website says</div></div>

Bare stock? yes - $500.
Add bedding and some McM options (cheek piece, cups, etc.) - easily $800.
Add "good" bottom metal - $$$$.

Kevin

Yeah trust me ive looked into McM.
Ill stick with the idea of a B&C Later on, Still need to look at upgrading the glass, Simmons 3-10x44 is adequate for what i use it for now. But i plan on a 5-20x50 mil dot scope later on, again comes time and money.

Thanks for the replies guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Staghead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kk.

800?? mcmillans are like 500..or so the website says</div></div>

Bare stock? yes - $500.
Add bedding and some McM options (cheek piece, cups, etc.) - easily $800.
Add "good" bottom metal - $$$$.

hold on? granted im a noob here but are u saying i couldnt buy a bare stock and drop my savage bbl and action right into it? my factory dbm isnt compatible?? my reason for asking is this..theres an a5 on gunbroker for 410$ perhaps it will shoot well as is and not need any bedding?

Kevin </div></div>

just shoot it as is and buy more ammunition to practice with. It is better for more practice at first and once you get good at it then you can look at buying stocks and other precision related items - IMHO

I think the exact same way.
Shooting it as much as possible now, and upgrade later on.
By that time ill have a good idea of what i want/need.
And can use the equipment id like to get more proficiently

The reason i posted the pics of the barrel is because i was worried it was corrosion

Ill post up pics of the shooting i did today. Needless to say im a little disappointed. 2-3 inch holes, in no particular group.
When i first shot the rifle i thought it was just me. But today i had a much more solid rest,and shot basically the same group.

I have come to the conclusion.
150gr Winchester SP ammo isnt a good round for my gun.
The trigger is stock, and heavy, so that may be the case.
The Stock isnt bedded or free floated in any kind of way.
I plan to get the trigger done, and order some FGMM 168gr soon
Hopefully ill see an improvement.

So i am finally gettig around to posting this range report for my .308

The black dots over the shoot n c were from the first outing. Not very good but i figured it was just me.
The holes on the right covered by blue masking tape are from when i initially shot, and i noticed my POA POI had shifted. So i corrected and fired some rounds. Scattered. I was on a very steady rest, very comfortable,and i felt confident about all the shots. but was irritated that it was off. I just remounted my base with Loctite, and my scope.

This sat. my buddy is letting me shoot his 150gr Hornady SST's.out of it. If i see no improvement then ill get some 168gr FGMM. If there is still no improvement then it must be the scope

Pretty cheap (~100$) Simmons that is the better half of 3-4 years old. And was used on my dads Rem700 7mm Mag, So it may be off.

I dont have the $ to get a new scope yet, and we have no temporary replacements lying around.
frown.gif
So ill post a pic of sat. groups and go from there. 150gr Winchester SP worked just fine in my dads 7mm MAG
frown.gif

I am still new at this, but i can hold a 1" group at 100 yards with relative ease with a much heavier caliber rifle, so its not me.
123.jpg

I would have to say it is the scope for sure. It looks like you have something bouncing around in there. Its even more likely because its a simmons that was taken off a caliber that has significant recoil. It doesnt take much to rattle those things loose...

Is that the simmons in the pictures that you posted? The only thing Ive ever had happen is the scope wasnt completely secure in the rings or to the base, just make sure everything is tight.

Yeah thats it.
Im trying to rule out all other variables I remounted the scope and secured the base with blue loctite. Like i said the scope is 3-4 years old, been on a 30-30 and a 7mm mag, banged around tree stands etc.