• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My first scope/rifle, mid range, need suggestions!

Oliveralan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2009
SW MT
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and relativly new to long range shooting. I am buying my first rifle within the next 2weeks. Will either be a Trued Remington 700 SPS-V LH or a fully custom rifle by Louisiana Precision Rifles built on a Stiller Predator action. So im pretty much set on the rifle, but not sure yet what scope i want to mount. Also, i don't want to spend thousands of dollars on the glass. The rifle will be chambered in .308, and I plan on using it for shooting out to 300yards on a regular basis (my piece of land only offers up to 300yard shootable distances), boar hunting, deer hunting, and the occasional trip to the range to shoot 500-1000 yards. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm currently thinking about buying a used Leupold Mark 4 but these still cost around $800... I'm looking for something under $600. Another option i wuld really like the scope to have is it being able to re-zero after sighting in, and/or marking showing what rotation your on.

Thanks,
Oliver

Re: My first scope/rifle, mid range, need suggestions!

That's tough with the $600 budget.....

For nothing more than a few hundred yards, but with a decent reticle (Mil-Dot), I'd check out the Leupold Mark II line:

Something like this:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...0mm-adj-obj-t2/

You should verify it's got enough MOA travel for you to reach 1K with your load and your base.

If you're concerned about the turret having rotation marks, after your zero, I'd just use a sharpie. I use a silver one under my NF knob to mark my zero.

Yea, i was looking at the Mark II series, probably what I'll go for, or the Millet TRS1. This is a newbie question, but if i was to mark my 600dollar scope with a sharpie, and then decided to use a different load, wouldnt the mark be in the wrong place?

You zero your scope with a load, then zero out your turret cover (so it reads zero).

Just below the cover you mark the turret housing/body with a line to mark what rev the turret is on.

When you change a load you will probably be a .5 or 1 MOA off, which is 1 or two clicks on the turret, and won't change where that silver shapie mark belongs (atleast ... it won't change it any noticeable amount).

Your goal with the silver sharpie is to prevent you from being a complete revolution off from your zero, not to show you where your zero is - that's why you zero out the cap.

and you can zero out the cap with any rifle scope? or only ones like the Mark 4 that specificaly say you can rezero the turret after sighting in?

never mind, question answered. Thanks SN13

Take a look at the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44mm MD, the sightron scopes have been getting great reviews. Plus you can get this one shipped for about 650. Pretty much every review rates them better than leupold.

MILLETT or a SS

MILLETT tactical is super nice and if you can get them a SWFA Super Sniper will work fine too.....for the money spent.
Borth are nice but the MILLETT ius a newer design and 35mm tube.. awesome for the price.
If you can get one SS in ebay get it.... it surely works.

Eduardo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44mm MD, the sightron scopes have been getting great reviews. Plus you can get this one shipped for about 650. Pretty much every review rates them better than leupold. </div></div>

Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44 MD SF is about $560 and right now Sightron has a $50 rebate.

what about taking a look at some of the scopes from the Falcon line? They are within your budget and good for the price.

Eat some raman, spend an extra $300 clams and get a USO ST-10. Then you take it to the range. Shoot your favorite ammo load, and mark down your data. Send the data to USO, and get a laser marked ballistic knob for your scope just for that load in your rifle. Remember this: Raman is GOOOOOOOD!

thx for all the suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 Mildot. It seems to be a great scope for a low price. I may buy a real nice one in a while, but the trued Remington SPS-V LH im buying is already costing me near 2grand. Since im just starting to purchase my own equipment, i also need a range finder and some good binoculars. So im already at about 2600-2800dollars. Once my bank builds up again, ill purchase a nice Leupold Mark 4 or NF. This sound like a feasable plan?

With hunting use in your list of useage would you be looking for a second focal plane scope? If so there are lots of options as others have mentioned. For a first focal plane scope you really only have one choice the Falcon 4-14x44 FFP or the supposedly coming out soon Falcon 5-25x56 FFP. Both are surprisingly good optically and seem solid mechanically.

HTH

Considering most typical North American game is taken at less than 300M, it would be whatever scope works for you. At that range and closer, it is only a matter of an inch or two on the hold, so no dope change is required for ranging or shooting

Sir
my 2 cents
I shoot a Supersniper 20X out to 1000yds without any issue- have maybe 500-600 round on the scope and no issues - good value. Not the best but good for the money.

I would Recommend against the nikon, i have the exact same scope and i am not very impressed i think you would be a lot happier with a falcon or SS if you like fixed power. another thing about the nikon the mil dots are set to 12 power so if you want to use the dots for ranging you have to make sure the power ring is right on the mark. most others it is on the highest power so all you have to do is make sure its turned till it stops.

My suggestion is Sightron SIII. They are better than Mark 4 but at a much lower price. I recently bought a bushnell 4200 6-24x50T tactical model because of all the great reviews in value and clarity. I am finding out my 2 Sightron SIIIs are better.