• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first spotting scope suggestions

I haven’t been able to reach out that far yet. The farthest I was able to hit was around 500 yards. What do you suggest then?

I'll second the binos.
Take a look at the Bushnell Forge 15x and a quality tripod.

If you're trying to spot for yourself, then you're going to have to learn to spot through your rifle scope. There's not time to go from the rifle to any other optic and see the impact.

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
Agreed on binos.

Leupold BX5 10x42 mounted to a tripod. Great spotting setup with experienced corrections out to 1200 yards.

Powerful enough for that range, and light enough to take around with you on a walk/hike/hunt/etc

In my opinion, the sweet spot between price, value and reliability is with Meopta and Kowa.

Athlon is also great for the money and excellent warranty

Save up a little and get a higher end spotter. Sometimes it takes a while but if its something you love to do, it's going to be worth it in the end. For example I got a Swaro STS 80 on ebay for 1250 a few years ago. It's perfect for what I do out to 1300 + yards.

What else I would recommend is scratch the binos, get a phone scope adapter with a decent tripod and that will be your spotter for now, if you're flying solo.

I haven’t been able to reach out that far yet. The farthest I was able to hit was around 500 yards. What do you suggest then?
I’d suggest get someone, friend, wife, girlfriend, who is able to call your shots first to go with your spotting scope. My first quality spotting scope, Swarovski BTX 95 with extender

Take a look and let me know what you think. Just put it up last week. Great scope and condition, I just went a different direction.

And if you're going to look in to binos, I'd look in to image stabilized binos or binos with an LRF built in. Capitalize so that your just not getting a pair that does 1 trick.

I’ve never heard of Meopta,kowa,atholon

Give Doug (@gr8fuldoug) at Cameral Land NY a call, 516-217-1000. They carry all of these brands and he can answer all your questions.

Binoculars And Scopes

I recently bought a Kowa 773 and CF Slik tripod from Camera Land. Very happy with it. Also picked up a PhoneSkope adaptor. I attached my iPhone to the Kowa using the PhoneSkope and its very easy to pan around using the iPhone instead of just looking directly thru the scope. Another benefit is that you can take a picture or video of the subject. Similar to what @skinney_7 posted...

I'm not saying Bino's are a bad option, I didn't read the links, but I'm not a PRS'r, if you're gonna be scanning to locate targets, and you're engaging mid range, sure bino's will be your friend, there's no comparison the mobility and ease of target acquisition they have to offer. Which is why I use them daily, but they're 8X40 or 10X40 or 12X50.
Personally if I'm going to spot, and want to see where I'm hitting at extended ranges, Magnification is your friend, and my spotter is used every time over my 15X56 Santiam HD's or SLC's.
Don't kid yourself, the high power bino's you need to spot, are large, cumbersome, gonna need the tripod, and you're not gonna make them an EDC while you hunt (not if you do it often). They'll be an office piece you pick up and look out your picture window.

52557424435_2ce16a6226_o.jpg

Last edited: