• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first stick,,,,,,Thank's to the Hide!!

slayer 2c

Still working on it
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2011
    Lost.........
    Hi all! I wanted to take a moment to introduce my new stick to all you here on The Hide. It might not be the greatest AI or a customer Gap nail driver, but every bit of it is mine and every bit was chosen with help from here on The Hide.

DSC03579.jpg

I started with a Rem 700-AAC after doing a ton of research here and listening to all the advantages and disadvantages of all the platforms in my price range I decided that the 700-AAC was the best start for me. I am new to this sport and like all new guys I have that 1000 yard shot in my dreams, and I thought the 1:10 twist would be best to stabilize the 175gr out to those ranges. Small disclaimer, I’ve no plans to even try the 1000 yard line for a long time; I’ve got no delusions of my skill yet! In time I shall ring that 1000 yard gong but not yet, and not for a while.

After deciding on the AAC I read every post that had anything to do with the rifle I could find. The one thing I realized was that the supply of the 700-AACs seemed to be running low so I turned to the Hide for help finding my new rifle. I had tried every local gun store, Cabelas, Bud’s, and a thousand other online stores with no luck. That’s when Hide member punkpigpen posted up that a store in Jamieson PA had one in stock for $599. A couple of e-mails, a phone call, and an hour and a half drive and I had my very own 700-AAc and was on my way.

One thing I had read a ton of reviews on was how flexible the standard stock was, and after buying one and feeling it for myself I realized I needed to replace it right away. So again I turned to the Hide and read everything I could on every stock out there. After listening to many opinion I decided the best thing for me and my budget was to find a take off in the for sale section, and I got a smoking hot deal on a Pss from Hide member Angry_Pirate who was such a great guy he threw in a Harris 6-9 bi-pod for free to help out this New Guy.

Once I had the new rifle in the Pss stock I had to turn my attention to the dreaded optics debate. I watched Lonewolf’s video on bedding the rail and read a ton on the differences between the cheap rails and the good ones and after few minutes of debate I purchased the Seekins Precision 20 moa rail from SWFA.COM. A few Days later Bin laden’s head got a new hole and I learned from a Hide member that SKD Tactical is having their SUCKIT sale. I was leaning towards 2 scopes at the time both with 30mm tubes and was looking for rings to fit them, I had my eyes on Seekins rings to match the rail, but the sale was too good to pass up so I ordered a set of EGW medium rings from SKD. At last the time was up and my money saved up for optics. After reading 100’s of posts, and dozens of reviews I went with the new Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm. Once again I turned to the Hide and the Hide delivered, that’s right the Midway discount coupons saved me $50 on my new scope and caps!!

Once I had assembled all my optical components I could hardly wait to get out and see what she could do. All I needed was ammo, and I wasn’t going to shoot crap walmart ammo. So back to the Hide I came and in all my reading I had crossed paths with Southwest ammo’s name a few times so I decided to place an order for 100 rounds of their Run N Gun ammo. Southwest had run out of supplies to make Run N Gun, so they sent me 100 rounds of their match grade 175’s instead. I think the pictures show how happy I am with those!

Along the way I also needed a rifle case and a data books, once again both came from the Hide in the forms of Storm Tactical and 3rd Generation Shooters Supply. Both great places to deal with, more help than I could of ever dreamed of. Hell Mark from Storm Tactical took my order for my data books at 0400 his time while driving to LA for a training op their SWAT team was doing.

All in all I wanted to say Thank you to all members of the hide, you all made my rifle possible, and your knowledge has really taught me a ton. I’m going to keep chasing that one hole group, please forgive any of my dumb questions and thank you in advance for all your answers. Even you guys who like to break the new guys stones.
    wink.gif

And for all you guys who always ask for the range report I’ve included the pictures below of today’s outing. The center group was shot from a borrowed Lead Sled Solo, which in my opinions BLOWS!! I ditched the Sled and shot group #3, made a 1up, 2left scope adjustment and shot #4, then shot #2 and finished with #1. I’ve got a rear bag and a stock pack coming, hopefully that’ll help me with my cheek weld and rear support. I’m pretty happy with my results, they’re not as good as some I’ve seen but they made my day!!!

DSC03578.jpg

DSC03581.jpg

Thanks again,
    Jeremy

Re: My first stick,,,,,,Thank's to the Hide!!

Wow, thats nice! I love rifles. I CC a handgun, but if I had my choice I would rather strap on a rifle anyday. Good shooting.

I keep looking back at your pictures and I don't see any sticks.....I see a nice rifle but no sticks.
    wink.gif

Congrats slayer, looks like you did it right. You researched, asked questions and built your rig using The Hide as a source of info and quality componets. IMHO, this site worked for you as it was designed for, a fount of knowledge us boots can use to improve ourselves as shooters.
    Now go shoot the shit out of it!!
    grin.gif

Congrats man, got my first rifle thanks to the hide this year also. Couldn't be happier with my 700SPS, it has shocked me on many occasions.

Now, for your 1000yard dream. Dont put it off forever, I done a couple 100-300 yard shots, then got up with some other Hide members a few weeks back and bam, ringing steel at 954yards like a champ, and now when I look at 508 yards which was our other target for the day, I think thats just too easy...

Only way your going to get comfortable at 1000, is to shoot at 1000. Get on it!

Thanks all for the kind comments! I'm really stoaked about it, cant wait to get out again.

CleanMoostang, I've actually found a range close to me that has 1000 yards and the shooters there are really nice guys. I'm hopefully going to get out there in the next few months. Right now 100 yards is all I got to shoot too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all for the kind comments! I'm really stoaked about it, cant wait to get out again.

CleanMoostang, I've actually found a range close to me that has 1000 yards and the shooters there are really nice guys. I'm hopefully going to get out there in the next few months. Right now 100 yards is all I got to shoot too.

</div></div>

I can understand that!

Like I said, until I get up with these guys I was maxing out at 300 on a good day, but once you get with some good guys who dont care to lay it out for ya and spot you, you will be shooting like a pro.

Until then, get a dot drill or other shooting target and work on some groups, find the best factory ammo or load for you. It makes the differences half a mile away!

congrats thats a GREAT start. and you'll learn a ton

Good luck very nice

Very nice post. You did it right by reading and asking questions. This is your first rifle but it won't be your last. Everyone had to start somewhere.

I echo LegionX: GO SHOOT IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK! Congrats on a sharp looking new rifle bud.

C_K

I still have my old rigs. Don't see how anyone can get rid of the ol' warhorse. Congrats on your new rifle!! I see a custom rifle in his future.

Congrats! Nice to have other new shooters posting their information and similar experiences. Go out and shoot the living daylights out of it and keep us all updated!

-Travis

Thanks again all. I can't wait to get behind her again! I got my eagle stock pack and rad tac rear bag yesterday. took me a little while to get the eagle adjusted correctly, needed one layer of mouse pad to get it just right, but now it's absolutely perfect. I had to work before to get proper sight picture behind my scope, but now as soon as I put my head down it's right there dead center of my scope.

Question: CleanMoostang posted up about working on dot drills as a way to get myself better. I found Dot targets but what id the proper way to work through the drill? Is it a fire a 5 shot group on each target drill or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

J

Very nice man. Be proud of that build. I am pretty new to the 'Hide myself. I have found the place to be loaded with some of the nicest, most out going guys I've ever met. People willing to offer advice and lend a hand in some cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Question: CleanMoostang posted up about working on dot drills as a way to get myself better. I found Dot targets but what id the proper way to work through the drill? Is it a fire a 5 shot group on each target drill or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

J</div></div>

J, the dot drill is to work on your skills engaging targets individually. With the Hide's dot drill you throw a cold bore round on the paper, and then engage each dot individually, forgetting about groups and focusing more on duplicating each shot on a completely different target. For a better explanation, see LowLight's post below.

Practical Tactical Practice

-Travis

Travis,

Thanks a lot man!!! I was looking for that explanation for an hour last night.

J

Cool write up and I'm glad your happy with the rifle.It's a nice stick you got there!Goodshootin'

~R

Your first 'stick'? My kids have been playing with sticks since they were 2, though only the 5 yr old is cool enough so far to refer to his legos as "a bit of kit."

Enjoy your rifle.

Mommy wouldn't let me play with sticks as a kid! She said I'd shoot my eye out.
    frown.gif

it is good to see someone on the hide who actually uses the advice they seek. too many ask and then shoot down all the help like they knew the correct answer all along. good job and sign up for the online lessons.

I think the lessons are the next "upgrade" I'm going to purchase. I learned to shoot as a kid, and refind my skills in the military, but I am no expert no matter what SRB says. I have a ton to learn and that was more than 80% why I've got into this sport. I'm chaseing that 1 hole group, but only as a symbol of my own progression in skill.

Thanks as always for all your kind comments.

So I got too get out to the range today and try out the dot drill! I must say I really like the challenge of it. Now since my last visit to the range I have added an Eagle stock pack with a layer of mouse pad to make the eye relief perfect and now I do not have to fight to get aligned in the scope. I also added a Red Tac rear stock bag, which really helps a ton.

I started by verifying my zero with a 5 shot group on this target.

55900651.jpg

As we can see the group is getting smaller!!
    60e73178.jpg

Shots 1-4 all went through the 1 hole, I got excited and rushed the 5th and through it out.

e206ec47.jpg

I adjusted one click up and started in on my dot drill target with a Zero shot. With the shot hitting in the black I started with the dots.

933c7b38.jpg

As you can see I still have a ways to go but overall I really enjoyed the drill and will be adding it to my regular drilling. I was doing really well until the end and like above I hurried and tossed out the last shot.

Nice shooting and great looking rifle !

Nice looking rifle. That store in Jamison, PA wouldn't of happened to be Tanners Sport Center would it?

For a beginner to the sport (me), that looks like a GREAT dot drill.

Enjoy your rifle. Looks like she is a keeper.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nice rifle. Looks almost exactly like mine.</span>