• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first stuck case - need help

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I haven't even finished my first round of loading for my .223, .243, and .308, and I'm experiencing my first stuck case. Please see pic below of the .243 case with decapping rod stuck in the mouth. What do I do from here?

IMG_20130926_150134_804.jpg

Squirt it with some kroil, go pray, come back an hour or so later, stick case in vise, wrap end of rod I leather, grab with vise grips, and pull for all you're worth. Or squirt with kroil, let sit, screw threaded rod back into die, pull out with the press leverage. I don't even know how you ended up with that and holy buckled case, Batman!!

Soaking in Kroil for a good hour followed by use of the press as leverage should get it out, just remember that being smooth on the leverage is more beneficial than a quick jerking of the press arm for trying to get the case unstuck. If that does not work then just cut it, either way that case is scrap.

Once you've gotten your case unstuck you might want to rethink your lube technique or readjust that die as that case is FUBAR!

I knew the case was history, but that's no big deal. I was hoping the F/L sizing die wasn't though.

Once you've gotten your case unstuck you might want to rethink your lube technique or readjust that die as that case is FUBAR!

What are possible causes for this? I'm thinking it has to do with having Imperial Case wax on the neck. I've read that it could cause the neck to cave in. Now I know that is actual fact and not just intarweb lore! Any other possible causes? This is why I'm using used dies that I got for free at this point in my short-lived reloading career. I'm looking to learn from my mistakes though. All help is appreciated. Smart-ass responses included.

It almost looks like you tried to form a 308 case into a 243 case and it didn't go so well...

Personally I don't care for imperial size wax, I prefer the Hornady Unique. It is thinner, doesn't build up nearly as much, and it cleans up much more easily. Thankfully that is an easily salvageable die.

Ha. I got a case stuck bad once. Full length die. It grabbed the web. Broke the case rim clean off when trying to extract. Got it out with no damage to the die. You could take that and wiggle it around to expand the brass and pull it out.

Sent from GS3 Synergy

It looks like your decap rod was not screwed in enough, causing the neck to bind between the expander button and die. I've never seen anything like this happen with imperial. If anything, buildup of too much of any lube will cause hydraulic deformation of the case but I've never seen too much lube make one get stuck.
Unless it's an optical illusion, those threads look mashed.
Being careful with a hacksaw you can cut that case neck and it will be loose.

Anyone have a stuck case and you're thinking about tossing the die, send it to me. It takes longer to get the tools out than to remove the case.