• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report My first time shooting beyond 100 yrds

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have a Savage 10fp with HS stock, bushnell 6500 2.5x16 mil dot scope.

I was shooting 8" metal targets at 200, 250 and then 375 yrds.

I had a 2" group at both 200 and then 250. I didnt shoot to good at the 375. I came home and saw i was using the wrong dope for that range.

I ended the day with a 30 round fast firing 100 yd group tha that measured 2".

I am happy for my first time at these ranges.

I was using my own reloads lapua brass, 168 smk, 44 gr varget and win primers.

Re: My first time shooting beyond 100 yrds

Congratulations, I have a feeling you're going to start burning up a lot more gunpowder in the coming months
smile.gif

I joined a 600y range and my ammo consumption went up about 50%...

So what was the point of a 30 round fast firing group.
I'm not trying to be a jackass, just asking.

i assume you are talking about this rifle and not it being your first time beyond 100? is that your military sig line? didn't you fire a weapon beyond 100yd in basic or qual etc? just curious

LOL. I ment out of the military. I have never shot a civillian weapon past 100 yrd for any type of accuracy reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what was the point of a 30 round fast firing group.
I'm not trying to be a jackass, just asking. </div></div>

I read that some barrels will lose accruacy when heated up. I wanted to get my rifle good and hot to see what would happen if anything.

Keep at it! Try to be as consistent as possible from shot to shot, e.g. arm position, cheek weld, trigger squeeze, hand loads, etc. It won't be long before you are looking for a range to place your targets further.

The longest ranges anywhere near me are 200 yards. I've shot plenty of 22LR to 200 with acceptable accuracy IE: hitting a 6" steel square with every shot using CCI SV ammo. I'm looking forward to pushing my single shot .223 out a lot further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10fp with HS stock, bushnell 6500 2.5x16 mil dot scope.

I had a 2" group at both 200 and then 250. I didnt shoot to good at the 375. I came home and saw i was using the wrong dope for that range.

I was using my own reloads lapua brass, 168 smk, 44 gr varget and win primers. </div></div>
i knew a sgt. rupert when i was in. used to call him "rupe dog" why you ask? cause he had "rupe dog" in gold on his teeth. that's not you is it?

Getting the barrel good and hot has a significant downside. It can accelerate throat erosion, which is the key factor on barrel expiration. Doing this repeatedly is a fairly certain way to send that barrel to an early retirement.

Did the experiment comfirm your expectations? I imagine it did. If so, good; now never try that again.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10fp with HS stock, bushnell 6500 2.5x16 mil dot scope.

I was using my own reloads lapua brass, 168 smk, 44 gr varget and win primers. </div></div>
i knew a sgt. rupert when i was in. used to call him "rupe dog" why you ask? cause he had "rupe dog" in gold on his teeth. that's not you is it? </div></div>

I am not that person you speak of
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting the barrel good and hot has a significant downside. It can accelerate throat erosion, which is the key factor on barrel expiration. Doing this repeatedly is a fairly certain way to send that barrel to an early retirement.

Did the experiment comfirm your expectations? I imagine it did. If so, good; now never try that again.

Greg </div></div>

My group stayed pretty good. I didnt know what you expect. I dont plan on doing that ever again, 30 rounds is almost $15.00 and it takes to much time to reload to be burning up ammo like that.