• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first tripod

viking78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
www.youtube.com
Hi.

Im new with tripods, i have tested them few times, and i got this fever to get one of my own too.
So i bought Sirui N-2004 model.
http://www.sirui.eu/en/products/tripods/nx-series/
I had read quite lot of the Slik, but that was out of the local dealer.
Sirui can also hold 33lbs weight, when Slik is only 15,8lbs.
Also bought the ball head to it with Arca mount, which im going to modified, well not the head, but im going to mount quick mount rail to my chassis, and try to go with that, in th beginning though.
I did find out, that there are also few manufacturer, who do Arca M-lok mount, like MDT, RRS, and XLR.

What kind of advice you would give for rookie, when using tripod, how do get well inside with shooting tripod?

Thank you all ready:)

Biggest thing I see when teaching people how to shoot with tripod is they setup the tripod to tall. If you straight legging it while shooting your tripod legs can hop alot more, or you will have to put much more muscular tension in the system to tame it. There are a bunch of different tripod methods, different ones feel better for others. I would suggest doing a grouping drill at a further distance then 100, maybe 300. So you can see how much you move after recoil each time vs how well your able to shoot. Try a different position every 5 rounds or so after a bunch of dry firing and see what your results are.

Reactions: viking78
Thank you sir.
I am going to receive my tripod tomorrow, if mail man is on it´s time :)
A lot of dry fire and a lot of testing hopefully tomorrow.

If you are shooting targets extremely fast and transitioning, you can build your position stronger by putting two legs out front and the back leg towards you at more of an angle so you can put your body weight in it and the front legs cant lift off the ground. This will give you slightly more movement on target but your follow ups can be instant. Be careful though as this position can break tripods.

That´s true, i have watched this Frank video of tripod use for a dozen time, hi´s videos are just great, you can pick a lot of tips and teaching for these videos.

Depends on what type of shooter you are, and your needs. Packing your gear for hunts long distance, competition shooting on flat ranges, competition during field matches, Mli/LE.....

If your running 100% rifle on the tripod or if you want to use bino, spotter, or lrf on the ballhead.
How tall you are.

Off the top of my head in passing I wil tell people the 2 and 3 series tripods are the most popular in shooting. The 2 series for hunting, packing, field matches. Plenty strong enough for any individual shoulder fired rifle.
3 series is the most popular in PRS/NRL flat range matches, Mil/LE also tend to go with 3 series as well.

For the head the BH-55 with your choice of clamp of the Leveling base have been the most popular for the past 2 years. From the end of April until we make one better I imagine the Anvil-30 will take the cake, it is stronger then anything we have ever made and designed for shooting specifically. If you want to really stick with lightweight but still strong enough for rifles the Anvil-30 and BH-40LR are what I would suggest.

If you wanna talk specific to you give me a shout. Michael H 805-548-1534

Ok, tripod arrived.
I started do modification to the Arca Swiss quick mount plate, to get mounted to my rifle.:D
Now im going to try this to the rifle on, how does it hold.

Attachments

• tripod.jpg
    tripod.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 47
  • tripod2.jpg
    tripod2.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 48
  • tripod3.jpg
    tripod3.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 39
  • tripod4.jpg
    tripod4.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 44
This may seem weird, but it isn't about how well the tripod systems hold the rifle. Most will look great in our living rooms. What the real big deal is how it manages us WITH the shooter load, producing small enough groups to be effective in small targets, self-spotting and speed of follow-ups..all while being manageable and pack-able.

In the past there was only the option of adding skill and things like slings developed over thousands of rounds to get this done, or unrealistically heavy and ungodly expensive large format camera tripods. The skill set on the standard Manfrottos is also highly perishable.

Today, we are really lucky to have full length dovetails and restively affordable high end tripods like RRS. It is one of the very few things that you can buy your way in. It is up to us as shooters to deiced what is more valuable; time, barrel costs, ammo or a more spendy tripod.

You are right about that, and i think that it is good that there is this equipment for shooters like me.
My shoulder has been operated twice and intervertebral disc once.
Some thimes im not able to get even to prone position, and no way that i could hold ther rifle like i used to be in the past.
So i do benefit these tools a lot, and im able to take a shot from the position i like.
But you are so right about that, that you should and you must train the basics first, that do these things.
If you are not able to do basic shooting, there is a big hole in your skills.
Im using this tripod for hunting too, it just feel so stable to compare it to my Primos twin leged model.

I really liked the tripod in real action, it is very easy to get the good position to shoot with it and it´s very stable.
Just a short video, this kneeling position is not maybe the idealist position, but i did not wanted to sit on that matt, because is was wet.