• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My First...with pics! (update w/range report)

Scott2501

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks to input here, I just (mostly) finished putting together my first precision rifle. I have been into AR's in the past, and this is my first foray into the precision rifle world. I'm anxious to get her to the range this Saturday.

I have an AAC 762-SD suppressor that is pending at ATF, and I am still waiting on the AAC muzzle brake and an Eagle Stock Pack, but other than that, I'm ready to go.

Specs:
Remington 700 AAC-SD
NightForce 3.5-15x56 NPR1 ZS MOA
NightForce Base and Low Rings
B&C Stock
Atlas V8 Bipod
KRG Bolt Lift

Here are some pics. I'm glad to hear any input you have.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Update:</span></span>

So, I went to the range Saturday, and am totally pumped about this rifle! Granted, this is my first time shooting a precision rifle, and I am mostly used to the accuracy out of my AR's.

I didn't really get to stretch her legs, as I was shooting at 100 yards most of the time. <span style="font-weight: bold">In the picture below, the group on the left is the first three shots ever fired from this rifle. At 100 yards, no less.</span> I was pumped. My groups didn't stay that tight, but I thought that was pretty neat, even though it was only a 3-shot group.

Most of my 5 shot groups were right at an inch. I tried out the Practical Tactical target shooting at 1/2" dots and was able to hit the dot about a third of the time. I'm hoping to improve on that with practice.

Overall, I'd feel comfortable saying I could put a grouping within an inch at 100 yards, but I wouldn't call it less than MOA at this point. Maybe as I improve, I'll be able to change that assesment. We'll see...

Re: My First...with pics!

You jerk, I am so jealous. I have been shopping for six months now for the perfect .300, and haven't even done so much as purchase a damn stock for it. I want a Nightforce so bad I can taste it, but they are just so dang high dollar. If you don't mind, what did you give for it, and do you think you need a more powerful optic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10thMTNFSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You jerk, I am so jealous. I have been shopping for six months now for the perfect .300, and haven't even done so much as purchase a damn stock for it. I want a Nightforce so bad I can taste it, but they are just so dang high dollar. If you don't mind, what did you give for it, and do you think you need a more powerful optic? </div></div>

I got the optic new from an authorized dealer for $1,661, no tax, free shipping. It has the new hi speed, zero stop turrets.

As far as needing a more powerful optic, I hope not, since I just bought this one! I haven't been to the range with this one yet, but from the reading I have done, 15x should be sufficient on man size targets out to 1000 yards; however, I doubt I'll ever shoot that far. My local range maxes out at 250 yards, so I'm hoping the 15x will be good to go for that range.

But, now your comments are making me worried...

Looks great, that bi-pod rocks.

BTW, how do you like the "Bolt Lift", I am thinking of ordering one for my 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santee116</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great, that bi-pod rocks.

BTW, how do you like the "Bolt Lift", I am thinking of ordering one for my 700? </div></div>

So far, I like it. I wasn't sure about adding a polymer bolt knob. I didn't want it to look and feel "cheap." However, after getting it installed, I'm really glad I got it. It is a great way to try out an oversized knob without modifying the gun. I figured, the price is right, so why not give it a shot. I'm glad I did. I definately think it will be staying.

Very Nice, how do you like the bolt knob? Did you have to epoxy it? Been looking at that one vs. milling my bolt handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice, how do you like the bolt knob? Did you have to epoxy it? Been looking at that one vs. milling my bolt handle. </div></div>

I did not use epoxy. It comes with rubber washers that help hold it tight to the knob. It feels pretty sturdy. At this point, I don't see any reason to epoxy it, in case I want to remove it later. But if it starts to loosen up over time, I may go that route.

Your first bolt rifle, and you jumped right into the game with a NightForce! That's the way to start out right!

It looks good! never did like the Atlas Bipods dho..

But else from that its a solid package you got there
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha-foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks good! never did like the Atlas Bipods dho..

But else from that its a solid package you got there
smile.gif
</div></div>

What didn't you like about the Atlas bipods? What do you prefer?

I have previously used a LaRue/Harris combo, but thought I would try the Atlas on this rifle. Haven't really worked with it yet, so I'm anxious to try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your first bolt rifle, and you jumped right into the game with a NightForce! That's the way to start out right! </div></div>

I previously had a NightForce 1-4x24 on an AR, which actually got sold to fund this project. So, that helped take away some of the sting on the price. But, there was never any question in my mind about going with something else; just had to decide which model. Jay at Sport Optics was a big help with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like a rifle.
grin.gif
How does it shoot? </div></div>

Headed to the range for the first time Saturday. I guess I'll find out then. Like I said, I am new at this, so I'm not sure what to expect out of myself or the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott2501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What didn't you like about the Atlas bipods? What do you prefer?

I have previously used a LaRue/Harris combo, but thought I would try the Atlas on this rifle. Haven't really worked with it yet, so I'm anxious to try it out.</div></div>

well, the one i had felt to "flimsy". it hade wobble in wieard places. but might just have been mine.

I always stick with a good harris, field proven greatness ^_^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha-foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott2501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What didn't you like about the Atlas bipods? What do you prefer?

I have previously used a LaRue/Harris combo, but thought I would try the Atlas on this rifle. Haven't really worked with it yet, so I'm anxious to try it out.</div></div>

well, the one i had felt to "flimsy". it hade wobble in wieard places. but might just have been mine.

I always stick with a good harris, field proven greatness ^_^ </div></div>

Your Atlas pods were unsteady? They are ugly, but they are rock steady. Did you call Atlas about your problem?

Was not what I was hoping to see with a title of "my first"

that knob looks huge
love the set uphow do you like the bipod i was checking them out today on here.

Welcome to the addiction. You made some pretty sound decisions in gear selections.

Re: My First...with pics! (update w/range report)

Updated with range report in original post.

Re: My First...with pics! (update w/range report)

Nice job. How did your action fit in the B&C A2? I mentioned in another post right near this one but my bolt rubs the stock a little bit. Didn't know if you had the same issue.