• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My GA Precision Build Finish

Tex1970

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
Seattle, Washington . USA
Gentlemen I am wondering who owns GA Precision built rifles, and if so are you happy with the Cerakote Finish?? If so how long have you had yours and how is the finish holding up? If not what other form of finish would you recommend, and where do you send to get it done. These may be dumb questions, but honest. I have never owned a rifle with this finish and am curious. I am about to invest some serious money and am interested in making it a great rifle. Thanks for any help
smile.gif

Tex

Re: My GA Precision Build Finish

I have a GAP rifle finished in Tan CeraKote. It seems to be a very durable finish. Bore solvents have had no effect on the finish near the muzzle, and I have not scuffed it or worn it off. The finish was applied about two years ago. CeraKote will be my choice for any future builds.
James

GAP uses "H" series Cerakote. It's a spray on and bake finish. When surface prep is done correctly, H series cerakote is very durable. They will coat your whole bolt and the cerakote makes for a good smooth surface for bolt cycling, but you will most likely experience some wear on the surface of the bolt body from cycling the bolt.

I've owned several rifles cerakoted by GAP and all have been pretty much perfect. You will be very happy with Cerakote especially if you go with GAP. It's not cheap, but well worth it!

I think my GAP rifle's barrel is teflon coated, not sure. Good stuff though, no issues with flaking or solvents.

Oh, and George Gardner owns GAP. He is a member here.

PM A10xrifle and ask him about it; that's George.

You could also ask williamroscoe, as I've seen some excellent examples of finished (and finished) rifles come from his shop as well.

When done right, and heat-cured, Cerakote it's a good durable finish available in all kinds of colors. I have a few Cerakote jobs that were done at GAP. True, the bolt finish will wear a bit, but it wears-in, that's all. One rifle exhibited a circular spot the size of a dime where the finish came off just forward of the receiver on the barrel. It enlarged itself, then stopped. I'm guessing this was probably due to a heat treating problem or a prep issue in that area. Shit happens, and the rifle shoots so well I don't care if it's got a blemish or two. It can be fixed, but I can't be bothered to fix it.

GAP is already doing my next rifle. You won't be disappointed with the quality of their work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM A10xrifle and ask him about it; that's George.
</div></div>

George can answer all you questions and get you fixed up.

I have four Cerakoted rifles, two done by GAP. Very happy with the both the finish and durability of the product...

My AR'smith uses Norrel's Moly Resin, also a baked on finish. I've found it to be at least on par with Cerakote...

I have about 7500 rounds through my MP5 that I built, it is finished in Cerakote, and all of the finish is still on the weapon. In the future all of my firearms will be Cerakoted.

Some of the original GAP rifles were finished in KG. It is a great product too but over time it will gloss up from from wear.

Thanks gentlemen for all the good feed back. I haven't contacted any reps about the process or product, because I haven't seen a salesman in my life that will not try to sell their product no matter how good or bad it is. That's why I like advice or feed back from real users. Again Thanks for the heads up feedback.
Tex

I think Roscoe is using KG Gunkote, it is also a bake on finish and is very strong if done right.