• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My GAP-10 Setup/ What scope to go with?

cain168

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
So I've finally made up my mind to go with a GAP-10 .308 cal, 20" Barrel, Flat Dark Earth, w/Magpul PRS Buttstock, Surefire muzzle flash, Noveske Switch Block, and an SSA-E 2 stage trigger. I might go with an Atlas Bipod, GG&G Bipod, or a Harris Bipod. But the bipod is the least of my concerns.It's the damn scope that I'm not sure of. I've searched high and low for the "perfect" scope. I'm willing to spend a cool $3700 for a scope which is a lot if you ask me. I'm not one who has a lot of money but damn it I want precision. I am a qualified sniper in the U.S. Army but unfortunately my MOS does not require me to do the snipers job.

I've been comparing all brands and models and the ones that stood out the most to me were the Nightforce BEAST, Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M2 3.5-10X40mm, and US Optics 10X fixed power. Now the next thing I can't make up my mind with is the damn reticle. In sniper school we used the old school mil-dot reticle and the tmr mil-hash marks. So I'm use to measuring the target in mils then converting it into MOA. But I hear that the sniper community is transitioning into the all new HORUS reticle. Which I think is cool and all because it saves the hassle for a follow up shot. I understand that the HORUS reticle is a "set it and forget it" type reticle. But to tell you the truth I enjoy dialing in for the shot. Plus, I'm only going to use this rifle for my own personal target shooting. Maybe join some shooting competitions in the near future.

Do you think I should transition into the HORUS reticle like everyone else? Should I go with a Nightforce BEAST?

I also use the Bushnell with the G2 reticle. It's a great setup for my GAP-10!

The ST-10 in FDE looks damn sexy on the GAP-10...

-nick--albums-gap-10-picture9959-caption.jpg

I just ordered the Vortex 4.5-27x56 gen 2 razor for mine. it wont ship till 7-10. Im hoping i made the right choice. I got a cool 15% off too!

Depends on what you are wanting it for. If you want to shoot the tightest groups I would go with a lot of magnification. I have a Nightforce F1 on my SR-25 and feel that it is plenty. If you really want to spend serious dough I would consider the Beast with a MOA reticle. Of course a S&B 5-25x56 w P4F reticle would be sweet as well.

YMMV,

Johnny

I'm going with a Vortext 2.5-10x32 PST. Has great glass, loaded with features (FFP, illum, SF), and gets me where I need to go for a heavy semi-auto. Best value optic for its class IMO. If I need more precision than what a 10x top end can offer, I have bolt guns topped with S&B 5-25.

I'm going with a Vortext 2.5-10x32 PST. Has great glass, loaded with features (FFP, illum, SF), and gets me where I need to go for a heavy semi-auto. Best value optic for its class IMO. If I need more precision than what a 10x top end can offer, I have bolt guns topped with S&B 5-25.

incredibly logical response here…

Hey bro, I have a S&B 5-25x PM 11 on mine with the MSR reticle and I love it. You don't have to go S&B in today's world to get really good glass, but I would go with with something with 20-27x on the top end. To be honest for the price the new 4.5-27x Vortex HD seems like a really badass scope, and you could spend the extra grand on some really good match ammo. The Gap-10 loves good quality ammo. FGMM or especially Asym 175gr. if you don't reload for it. The Gap-10 is as accurate as any shooter can be with good ammo.

If your budget is that high, treat yourself and get either the S&B 5-25 with MSR, or the NF Beast. I have the former on my GAP-10 6 Creed and it's fantastic. One thing about glass: your rifles will come and go, but your glass will be way harder to give up. My S&B will never leave my possession.

Something Like this!

Interesting, I ordered the exact same GAP-10!

As you can see I would recommend a NF F1 Army Mil-Spec!!

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 34
I also use the Bushnell with the G2 reticle. It's a great setup for my GAP-10!

I have on my SIG 716 the USO ST 10 with the MIL/MPR reticle EREK and ERGO. It's a great scope but fin myself wanting more magnification past 200 yards. On my OBR a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 with ZS and HST with the NP-R1 reticle. On my HK MR762 and POF P-308 I have the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X 50 scope. Great glass and tracks spot on. All are great scopes for the money. Since $$$ don't appear to be a problem my choice in oder of which I would choose first for the GAP 10.
1st NightForce 5.5-22X50 ZS and HST but with the MOAR reticule
2nd Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50.
3RD USO ST 10

Last edited:
I put a NF 3.5-15 NP-R1 on my GAP-10. I like this very basic NSX a lot, but I'm moving it over to a different rifle and getting a NF ATACR MOAR-T reticle for the GAP-10. My GAP-10 is consistently a .5"-.75" rifle with factory match ammo (and I'm half blind and a lousy shooter).

NF F1 3.5-15X with a Horus H58 or H59 is an ideal scope for a GAP10 in .308 or .260 Rem.
Mount it in an A.I.one piece scope mount and you have a bomb-proof ultra reliable do all set up.

I think a lot depends on what your usage will be. If you don't have extensive training pay for the online training here. I have an Atlas bipod and a Harris. The Harris is up for sale. My NF Beast with MOAR reticle shipped today. I hope the GAP-10 will ship this week. I chose the optic for flexibility. I can move it from gun to gun depending on the situation. If I made the gun a Tactical Rifle competition gun I would mount a Bushnell Tact Elite 3-21 with an H59 reticle. Hope this helps. (I initially ordered an h59 Beast and changed to the MOAR because I don't plan to own another optic this expensive. I wanted an optic that offered maximum flexability).

I honestly rarely dial with a bolt gun and never dial with a semi unless I'm shooting at one target only. This is where the G2 reticel, horus or just a numbered reticel is nice and fast. I prefer busnells G2 over the h58/59 and wished I could get the G2 in a S&B ultra short with a floating center dot. The new vortex razors are great in every way except they are heavy as hell which to me is a downer and a reason I wont buy one. To bad because next to my S&B's I honestly couldn't tell a whole lot of difference, at least not a 2k difference! a 3-15 Steiner would do well up there as well with a MSR reticel!

I Too Love the Bushnell with the G2 Ret but the 3.5-21x50 is a bit on the Heavy side. I went with the Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 with the G2 and it's been working Great with my DPMS Gen II Scout. It's lighter than just about all of the ones mentioned and doesn't break the Bank. I got mine for around $600 Shipped New!

I Too Love the Bushnell with the G2 Ret but the 3.5-21x50 is a bit on the Heavy side. I went with the Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 with the G2 and it's been working Great with my DPMS Gen II Scout. It's lighter than just about all of the ones mentioned and doesn't break the Bank. I got mine for around $600 Shipped New!

Heavy? I think it's perfect setup on the GAP, especially with the PRS. She is a little piggy, but I like 'em on the heavy side.

Lots of awesome choices with that budget and you couldn't go wrong with what has been mentioned. If I were in the market with that optics budget I would go with the Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 with that kick ass H59 reticle. Happy shopping bro!!

I'd go with an S&B 3-20 w/ an H2CMR. Great size for a gas gun and the reticle is awesome for wind holds. I run a NF 2.5-10x42 on my MWS and it's also a great scope if you're looking for a smaller package with less mag.

I've been shooting my new gap10 in 6mm Creedmoor with an XRS with the g2 reticle on it and it's an awesome reticle. I don't care for the turrets on the Bushnells but I don't need them due to the reticle. I had a Hensoldt ssg-p on it which was a loaner so when I went to the Bushnell it made me remember how picky the eye box was on it. I don't think the dmr has that issue but I may be wrong. Hell I stay on 14x or so the whole time anyways so the 30x is useless to me unless it's a dot drill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

+1 for the Leuy Mark 6 with H-59 or H58. Fantastic optic for the mid-$2k price. Outside of the S&B ultra short (at $1500 more) I don't think any other optic comes close to the MK6.

Unless you want something to actually track right :) Leopolds are horrible tracking optics. If you're holding they are great though.

Pretty good videos with a great way to test tracking. I've seen tons of other Leupold mark4,6 and even the 8 do the same thing and in some cases much worse. I've seen them put moa parts in a mil turret. Just not what I expected when I spend 2k+ on an optic. I'll stick to the s&b, hensoldt and this bushy and just use holds.

http://heelsandhandguns.com/2014/04/testing-leupold-nightforce-bushnell-vortex-scopes/

They should run that MK 6 test again using the same target they did on all of the others. It was much, much easier to see that the vertical and horizontal stadia were lined up evenly with the various reference points. To my eye, out of all four tests, the MK 6 one was the only one that looked dramatically off. Whether that was the target itself being canted, the mount or the rifle, who knows. It always throws a wrench in things when testing parameters aren't identical throughout the tests. Oh well. I'm good with my H58, it tracks perfectly throughout the entire adjustment range...

There is a video or pictures of how they mount the optic. It's mounted in a set of rings that are mounted on top of a section of an I-beam which has been drilled and tapped for 4 height adjustment legs/screws. I think the one with the barricade or target that had the cut outs looks off a little and it was on the gun. But even without that video everyone that I know that has them can never follow what applied ballistics says because the optic is all over the place, if they use the horus it's dead on. It's consistent however so with verified data you ok but I want it to read dead on 10mil when I dial 10mil. With the 6mm Creedmoor that takes me way past 1k yards (6.1mils to 1k) so 1/10th off will make a pretty big distance. I'm not trying to bash Leupold because the ate nice optics, they just can't seem to get it all right in the same optic and qa sucks. They should do a tracking test before it ever leaves the factory.

Last edited:
And I'm with you on the h58 tracking right. That's the onlu reason that XRS is on top of mine. That g2 reticle tracks just fine for me as well. :)

I really like my Bushnell 6x24 with the G2. If you ever get one and use it, you will never dial your come ups again. Like another poster said, rifles come and go, but this scope will be staying no matter what.

There is a video or pictures of how they mount the optic. It's mounted in a set of rings that are mounted on top of a section of an I-beam which has been drilled and tapped for 4 height adjustment legs/screws. I think the one with the barricade or target that had the cut outs looks off a little and it was on the gun. But even without that video everyone that I know that has them can never follow what applied ballistics says because the optic is all over the place, if they use the horus it's dead on. It's consistent however so with verified data you ok but I want it to read dead on 10mil when I dial 10mil. With the 6mm Creedmoor that takes me way past 1k yards (6.1mils to 1k) so 1/10th off will make a pretty big distance. I'm not trying to bash Leupold because the ate nice optics, they just can't seem to get it all right in the same optic and qa sucks. They should do a tracking test before it ever leaves the factory.

Gotcha, the vids were actually pretty good overall. Hopefully gave some people an idea of why tracking is important - especially at distance. Definitely not the first time I have heard of an MK 6 with TMR not tracking. It's kinda like the saying that suggests you should never by the first release of anything. No matter how good it's supposed to be. It's always the one with issues and the second and third versions are the ones that will have them worked out. In the MK 6's case those were the Horus reticles and the CMRs. I have a 4.5-30 bushy also. Good to see the G2 tracks. Mine has the Tremor and it is pretty close to the same at each reference point. Thanks for the vids!