• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Gap 338 w/ load work up

CanSniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Colorado, Pawnee Grass Land
GAP 338 Lapua, built on a Surgeon action
28" Bartlein Barrel
McMillan Stock
NightForce 5.5-22 MLR mil/mil

1Pic025.jpg

1Pic031.jpg

Initial load work up.
H1000
300 Berger OTM .001 jump
Lapua Brass
215M primer
Decided on 92grns. Although it did not look like it grouped well, at that point in the test test I was starting to experiance heavy mirage, so I think that was responsible for the vertical spread. ES and SD were deep in the single digits at 92.
1Pic036.jpg

Seating depth test
Pic041.jpg

Decided on .005 jump because as the throat wears it will still be in the sweet spot.

Re: My Gap 338 w/ load work up

Looked like u had a real winner at 91 & 91.5

Bad ass gun for sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked like u had a real winner at 91 & 91.5

Bad ass gun for sure </div></div>
91 and 91.5 grouped really nice, and tempted me but, as I worked up my velocity spread got tighter and tighter. Looking back at this I might try them @ 91-91.5 again. 92 shoots pretty good though, and holds together at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I ask why all the rings on the scope? </div></div> I knew some onee would ask, LOL. Just had a spare set and thought "what the hell kinda looks cool" and I seen it on one of Shawn Carlock's rifles. No paticular reason though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked like u had a real winner at 91 & 91.5

Bad ass gun for sure </div></div>
91 and 91.5 grouped really nice, and tempted me but, as I worked up my velocity spread got tighter and tighter. Looking back at this I might try them @ 91-91.5 again. 92 shoots pretty good though, and holds together at distance. </div></div>
Here is one @ 92 with out all the mirage messing things up.
Pic039.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What twist is barrel ?

What is your COAL with the OTM's ? single feeding I'd assume ? </div></div>OAL is about 3.9 single feed, I did not have good luck running the Bergers from the mag on 3 different rifles, had to run'em close to the lands.

The Barrel is a 10 twist

A gorilla couldn't beat the scope off that rail!

It's the samsonite scope ring technique. I like how it looks, nice rifle!

Maybe try 3 different loads at 500yds, 3-shot strings and see what you print? 91, 91.5 and 92 all look like winners, the 500yd distance would magnify things a bit more for you. Spread the groups out more for finer tuning if thats what you want to do.

What distance was the target at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What distance was the target at? </div></div>

It was at point blank! I have heard that GAP rifles dont shoot well!! Just kidding!!! Just kidding!!! Yes, I am jealous!!!! Nice, Nice, Nice Rifle!!!

Thanks guys, initial load work up was done at 100 meters. I think ill try to verify 500. I am sure the rifle is better than I am though, the lapua is little different to shoot than my 308. It definitely points out flaws in my technique.

You got to get that thing out to some distance. I can wait to see what that thing will do at 1000 yards. Thats a sweet gun.