• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My GAP's first kill....

Huntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2005
Texas
After another frustrating year of not drawing any tags in New Mexico, I picked up a late season cow tag for my son and I. Awesome hunt and lots of elk resulted in a full freezer for the family!

My GAP Non-Typical in 308 was awesome! 155gr Scenar and it was lights out for my cow shot offhand on a steep uphill shot as the elk were gettin' the heck out of Dodge! My elk was quartering away which is why the entry (pictured) looks far back.
Elkhunt13002_zps579a0bd4.jpg

My son made a great shot on his elk that was headed back to the timber- 1 shot from his Rem. 708 with 140gr Accubond dropped her on the spot.
Elkhunt13009_zpsf69fe6bb.jpg

Spent a few hours today shooting at the Whittington Center and headed home tomorrow. Hope eveyrone has a Happy New Year!

Re: My GAP's first kill....

Congrats! Looks like you'll be eating good for a while
wink.gif

Holy crap.
And I worry about getting a 150lb deer into the bed of my truck!

How much meat does an elk like that yield?

Amazing the size of those animals. Good kill.

Nice! My Gladius claimed its first victim this year too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZO6Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much meat does an elk like that yield?

Amazing the size of those animals. Good kill. </div></div>

Just stocked the freezer with 530lbs of packaged elk. My elk netted 286lbs of packaged meat, and my sons netted 244lbs of packaged meat. It's gonna be a tasty winter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!! 155 scenar.....laffin' Damn match bullets! </div></div>

People use those for hunting ! ???

Wow, go figure

Congrats! Nice Cow. Gotta try some of those 155's. Nice to hear they did the job.

2 cows ought to keep a family fed for a little while. Nice shooting from both of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!! 155 scenar.....laffin' Damn match bullets! </div></div>

People use those for hunting ! ???

Wow, go figure </div></div>
LOL, irresponsible I tell ya!
laugh.gif

Nice work OP, Elk hunting is my favorite, and great eating there.