• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my german shepard snapped at me today

hiddenmongoose

crazysection
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ireland
My 3 year old shepard snapped twice at me today, and Im looking for some advice from guys that have shepards or experience with large breed dogs.
Firstly some background on my dog.Marley is a large pure bred neutered male shepard who is almost 4 years old and who up til today has never as much as growled at me.My wife and i got him as a 12 week old pup.He has a fantastic temperment and we have 2 cats who snuggle up and sleep on top of him.we also have another 1 year old Leonberger (st.bernard ,newfoundland cross).our house sits on a 1 acre site in the country that is fenced off completely and the dogs have free roam around this 24/7.
What happened today is as follows, i was in my kitchen and i noticed out the window that marley had a slight limp so i let him into the house to have a look at it, he went through the kitchen into our sitting room and up onto the couch, i was laughing at him cuddled up on the couch as we dont allow him in there but he loves to try sneak in ,i was talking softly to him and i felt his front paw, nothing wrong with that paw so i examined his other paw which he gave willingly, I must have hurt him and he lunged and snapped at me.this i understand was because i must have hurt him , although iv examined small injurys such as cuts and thorns before without incident.What happened next is what worried me, I deceided to bring him outside and when i called him to get off the couch he wouldnt move.I hadnt got cross with him or shouted at him but in a firm voice i called him to get out.When he wouldnt budge i went to put my hand on his collar to lift him off the couch ,as i placed my hand on his collar i seen his gums lift to bear his teeth slightly and the whites of his eyes showed ,these being major indicators i quickly pulled back my hand at which point he lunged and snapped at me.
This i admit startled me and i shouted at him and he went outside.I left him for a few minutes then went out to him.he knew he had done wrong and he came over to me with his head low and giving me the paw.he was very cuddly and giving that whole 'i know i did something wrong' attitude.I petted and talked softly to him then went back inside.
After this i started to thinking what would cause this.obviously i must have hurt his paw and that first lunge was a knee jerk reaction, but even so its strange.for him to disobey then lunge again is worrying me.
I now realise that he may be stressed, we just got married and returned from honeymoon last week, prior to the wedding we were very busy and did not spend as much time as we usually do with the dogs. so for the last 6 weeks or so they have not got as much attention as usual.Marley has also gone off his food , not eating as much since we returned from honeymoon.
Sorry for such a long post but those of you with dogs know how much they mean to you and this is worrying me.below is a pic of marley.am i dealing with a stressed out dog? and if so what do i do. any advice on this would be great
euoljk.jpg

Re: my german shepard snapped at me today

to be honest if I were you I'd post over on here:

http://leerburg.com/webboard/forum.php

Has he returned to his normal self? Don't ever pull your hand away fast from a dog or run ect. All kinds of things could be going on but since your a member here I'd also ask about getting into a bite sport with the dog
smile.gif

Great looking dog you've got there. I suspect the stress and the injury prompted the snapping like you said but that's unacceptable, especially if you have kids. I had a king doberman for years that was an awesome dog with no problems up until he attack style soft bit me on the forearm twice over the course of a week and that was the end of that dog. Now maybe there's a way to fix that and some more experienced dog owners will no doubt chime in with a fix to that behavior but if you don't have time for your dog anymore, you probably can't do whatever is required to fix it.

Just my take on it.

Sounds to me both instances are related to pain, the second being related to knowing pain was coming. I have 3 German Shephards now. My 3 yr old male hase elbow problems and gets very testy when it rains. I'd take him to the vet and see what's going on with his hips and elbows. Unfortunately, pure bred large bred dogs tend to have these issues.

Do you have children at home?

I would get him to a vet and checked out. Injured animals do not behave normal and he might be in more pain than you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Sasquatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get him to a vet and checked out. Injured animals do not behave normal and he might be in more pain than you think. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly, take him to the Vet.

Separation anxiety for some dogs is a serious problem, it might be a factor in Marley's aggressive behavior as well, but injury is probably a more likely cause. I had a similar situation with one of my dogs who we boarded for a few weeks, and the dog took a week plus before he was back to normal. Some dogs you just cannot board, it's too much for them to handle. I hope your situation works out as well, best of luck, he's a good looking boy you've got there.

+1 on the above comments. It is likely a combination of injury/pain/fear response, as well as multiple changes in his routine/environment/etc. over the course of the last few months.

Get him to the Vet ASAP and get him checked out. What appears to be a "minor" injury/limp could be symptomatic of something much worse that needs to be corrected/addressed to resolve or minimize his pain and correct his fear/pain response problem. Until you know what's going on a little better, you need to be cautious of your and your wife's interactions with him and be careful to keep in away from children altogether for the time being.

Thanks to those who responded, to answer a few questions,
No kids in the home yet.I still have plenty of time for the pets just those few weeks prior to the wedding were prob the busiest me and the wife have ever been, i was finishing a sniper course and was away sunday til friday evenings and the wife was extremely busy finalising the wedding .
I rang the guy who i board my dogs with while on holidays(he also does dog obedience) and he too said it may be pain related and there may be more to it that what just appears to be a sore paw.

Sounds like a good start. Get the fellow checked out. Wish you the best. I can't stand to see one of my dogs hurting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to those who responded, to answer a few questions,
No kids in the home yet.I still have plenty of time for the pets just those few weeks prior to the wedding were prob the busiest me and the wife have ever been, i was finishing a sniper course and was away sunday til friday evenings and the wife was extremely busy finalising the wedding .
I rang the guy who i board my dogs with while on holidays(he also does dog obedience) and he too said it may be pain related and there may be more to it that what just appears to be a sore paw. </div></div>

Hopefully it all works out!

Although the internet is not best for dog training advise, it does sound like reaction to pain. I suggest getting him to the vet first, to see if there is any injury to the paw/leg.

My second suggestion, never let your dog "win" a battle. You set yourself up for failure. In your dog's eyes he now knows he can challenge your authority and "win". Re-training with a professional familiar with the GSD is in order.

I have raised and trained GSD's for over 20 years. Good luck with him, it really doesn't sound like something that can't be corrected.

I could be completely wrong, being I haven't seen the dog, just going by what you describe.

cheers toebuster, Originally when he was a pup we brought him to a trainer and went through obediance classes. I know what you mean about 'letting him win' I was taken aback today when it happened and it happened so quick i wasnt sure how to react.if he had just growled i probably would have been much more assertive with him but i actually thought he would full on attack today if i went that route.hard to know what to do in that brief few moments.Im going to bring him to the vet and get him checked over.Il see where we go from there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Sasquatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get him to a vet and checked out. Injured animals do not behave normal and he might be in more pain than you think. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly, take him to the Vet.

Separation anxiety for some dogs is a serious problem, it might be a factor in Marley's aggressive behavior as well, but injury is probably a more likely cause. I had a similar situation with one of my dogs who we boarded for a few weeks, and the dog took a week plus before he was back to normal. Some dogs you just cannot board, it's too much for them to handle. I hope your situation works out as well, best of luck, he's a good looking boy you've got there. </div></div>

Agreed.

Dogs are amazingly stoic and endure pain that only the toughest people can endure.

My previous GSD, Dax was frightened by lightning strikes and one day the combination of a thunderstorm and a strange limp had her in the corner of my office, acting very atypically. I went to check her out and she bit me.

She got a smack to the head for this: Not exactly Cesar Milan's remedy but I don't care. At the time our girls were much younger and there was no way I was going to allow a biting 100 pound GSD anywhere near them.

Turns out she had an injured leg and the combo of the lighting strikes and my touching her leg brought out the worst in her. She was a great dog and only one other time did she make a sign of aggression toward my youngest girl. Again, she was disciplined.

You are the boss of your dog, regardlessof breed. It doesn't typically take more than consistent training and bearing to control them but occasionally, their instinct will rear it's head and that is when you have to prevent them from forgetting who the lead dog is.

Great looking dog there and Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My second suggestion, never let your dog "win" a battle. You set yourself up for failure. In your dog's eyes he now knows he can challenge your authority and "win". Re-training with a professional familiar with the GSD is in order.
</div></div>

This is what I came here to post. You need to create a negative stimuli/reaction to his negative action immediately after.

My grandfather raised hunting dogs his entire life. His last dog was a rott and it nipped at him. He slugged it good right in the chops and never had a problem again. Now this might be a little much, especially when considering vet costs to fix dog teeth, but you can't let them establish ANY dominance over you. A loud yell or a belt across the butt may do. Get big and mean.

If it continues to attack you might just finish it there(out of necessity), or consider putting it down. It's like a man who beats his wife. Once they cross through that dog, it's easier to do it again. Liability

First, I own a land shark.

As far a letting him win, you did not lose either. He reacted like a dog does. Remember at the heart of this animal is a dog that probably has some background in biting. (genetically) A dog hurt can not be expected to HP to it and be the super obedient dog. How do you react when you are sick or injured? Bet you snap at people with words. My dog has to win sometimes. Difference between taking over alpha role and a bad day. Just .02 from a guy with the never lose attitude. Ok for a loss depending on circumstance. I let my win when it is better for him and I win nothing.

Was she part of his life prior to marriage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, I own a land shark.

As far a letting him win, you did not lose either. He reacted like a dog does. Remember at the heart of this animal is a dog that probably has some background in biting. (genetically) A dog hurt can not be expected to HP to it and be the super obedient dog. How do you react when you are sick or injured? Bet you snap at people with words. My dog has to win sometimes. Difference between taking over alpha role and a bad day. Just .02 from a guy with the never lose attitude. Ok for a loss depending on circumstance. I let my win when it is better for him and I win nothing.

Was she part of his life prior to marriage? </div></div>

To clarify:

My never let your dog win comment, pertains only in what the dog might perceive as a fight, taking over a leadership role, issues with dominance, etc.

In (Sch) training, in the bitework portion, the dog ALWAYS wins over the decoy. He is conditioned through training, that he will ALWAYS win. From a young dog, through adulthood, as more and more pressure/stress is applied.

In tugwork/ball/toy etc. he wins most of the time as well.

Just wanted to explain what I meant.

Deputy Dawg, I suspect we are talking about the same thing.

Yes my wife was part of his life since we got him as a pup, we have been living together before we ever got him.Marley is very obedient for her and follows her everywhere when she is outside, always at her side and very affectionate,just like he is to me.
Im holding my hands up to say he hasnt been getting the attention he should the last while as stated earlier ,that combined with an injury may just explain it.Im bringing him to the vet and will see how that works out.Il also be upping my game as to the attention he is getting.I dont want to be making excuses for a dog but i dont want to blame him when there may be more to it either.Me and the wife have agreed on this route and also have made the tough decision that if any more aggression is shown he will have to go. thoughts of this breaks my heart but i dont want to be foolish with a large dog either.
Thanks again for all the replies

I have had several very calm breed hunting dogs who would snap if hurt and you try to mess with them. More of a "please don't touch that" than a eat you aggressive bite attempt. I see it as perfectly normal in some dogs. I have had others that let me stitch them with no issues....they are all different. I don't see it as a problem in a pain/hurt situation. We have a Australian shepard that is the epitome of a great child dog. Carry him to the vet and he needs a muzzle. Stress or pain can change a dog. If I am snapped at in a regular instance I handle it very differently but a growl or non aggressive snap say with a hurt paw or leg is what I see as OK.....they have to ask you to leave the area alone somehow. I know people that will gladly take help when hurt and others that do not want to be messed with.

I have a big Shiloh Shepherd (Avatar) and have raised him as a pup. He is a big dog and I am not a big guy so the trainer always told me to ensure that he always knows that I am always in command of his life. I had my wife, also not a big person, take him to obedience training so he knew that she was second in his life and then the kids and then him. He knows where he is in the pack and he is OK with that. Your dog was reacting to pain and that is understandable. Dogs, just like humans, don't turn off their emotions on a dime. He was protecting himself from more pain and telling you to stop and live me alone. Now, that said, you now need to remind him that he is not in charge and he is to NEVER challenge you ever again for dominance.

Dogs live in packs and that is what they understand and he can challenge you for dominance which can never happen. I have had numerous "conversations" with my dog. That is when we go outside and I remind him who is in charge. I am never afraid to take him outside and jerk a knot in him to re-direct his behavior. I don't normally beat my dog but if he needs it I give it to him. That is how dogs correct behavior in a pack.He comes up to me later and tells me he is sorry. Big Shepherd dogs need lots of training to ensure they know their role in the pack.

To make you feel better a snapping is a far cry from attack. I am sure you know this but if he wanted to hurt you he could have. it takes a split second for a dog of that size to cause damage to a human.

Maybe it took him four years to realize it was you who cut his balls off.

I'd find him another home...maybe with the military or police K-9 Corps. I have repaired too many children's faces (as well as they could be repaired) to EVER have a dog around family or neighbors with children, that ever acted aggressively. A bite to the face and eye region from a "pet" that size will leave a child literally scarred for life...mentally and physically.

I was attacked by an Irish Setter when I was 6. 4" scar on my head and 2" scar beside my right eye 37 yrs later.....a wad of stitches and lucky he didn't get my eye. If anything it made me more in tune with reading a dog and understanding the importance of being the alpha of all the dogs I have had. I am sure it can mentally scar but I never had any of that and dogs are a big part of my life as hunters and family companions. I guess the biggest problem here is none of us were there and it's impossible to class it as aggression or a pain repsonse from behind a keyboard. Main thing is if you are uncomfortable there is the potential for problems because dogs read us unbelievably well. If that is the case find him another home.

What you're describing isn't just related to large dogs, it's pretty much all animals, including us. He's in a lot of pain. Think about when at dr. or dentist and they give you one of the "does THIS hurt" pokes. What's the first flash of a reaction we have? Animals go on first impulse. We have an ability to see the complete picture of the situation, not just the pain, and can temper our response.

I saw an episode in which Cesar Millan punched a dog that was about to bite him. Dogs will never be as intelligent as people. They need to know their place. This isnt only for the safety of your family, but for the dogs own mental health. The never let your dog win comments are spot on. They must know that lashing out you is never acceptable, and always results in pain for them. Its what they understand, and how they handle it in packs.

I love dogs, and my attitude is not cruel, it is loving. Your dog must submit to you at all times. If you confuse him as to his place, he is hardwired to figure it out for himself, which means challenges toward you or your family members. If the dog acts out, its important to figure out why, but its much more important to not reward the bad behavior by coddling him. Imo striking the dog at the very instant of a physical challenge is appropriate, and for other offenses, shunning the dog for a time will hurt his feelings enough to get the job done.

Shepards are very smart, and very smart dogs require alot of attention. If they dont get it they act out. Smart dogs are only for people willing to give them the time they need. They go somewhat insane from the boredom and anxiety. They are also powerful dogs, and you dont want them to think that they can start imposing their will on you.

If I were to guess from across the internet, I think the problem is more related to the recent neglect of the dogs needs, and that the pain was just the catalyst

If I were dealing with this issue, I would get him checked at the vet to care for any injury.

Then I would manufacture a situation where he has the ability to do something right for you. Its important that no bad behavior have occured leading up to this, as confusion is the worst thing. Dogs want to please the boss, and when he does, go a little overboard with the praise, and sit with him awhile. Thereafter spend more positive time with moving foward and see if his happiness/attitude improves.

I had a pitbull who was my best buddy. When he got sick I knew something was wrong with him because he would lay his head in my lap and literally take me by the shirt and bring me to his bed. It was his way of telling me it was his time to go. I laid with him for 12 hours trying to get him strong enough to make it to a vet specialist across town. We did get him there but he was so delirious on pain he could not even focus. He snapped at the doctor when he began feeling on his sides. Doc said it was normal and not to worry.

Get your buddy to the vet ASAP. Have his paw and leg checked out.

Canine's understand two basic dominance behaviors. For females, it is over the shoulders. For males, well, it's the good ol dry hump, yeah,I OWN YOU, not the other way around, as wellas over the shoulders UNTIL they understand they are the submissive omega in the family. Alpha is dad, beta mom, and kids are between beta and omega to a dog, but the dog must, MUST, know they are the omega to everyone.

Injuries, doggy treats, food, will always receive a slight lunge and aggravated growl/bark if not approched the right way. If Bulleit needs attention, a trade for a small cookie or chewy for the injured paw is always easy to deal with. If it's minor, simple Ibuprofin in a bit of meat if offered twice a day. If he is affected more than minor, well, that damn dog has better medical insurance than the rest of the family and he goes to the Doc.

Part of raising, socializing, and training any dog is to associate place in family with positive reinforcement. Of course as a pup, Bulleit thought he was beta to teh boys until I said,"OWN that dog like he tries to own you"...that made for some freakin A comical shit!

I agree with ToeBuster...Never let a dog win a fight!

I'm with everyone else, get him to the vet and have him checked out. Hopefully it is just because he is in pain and this don't happen again. I would probably keep him away from kids until you figure out what is going on just to be on the safe side.

I am no dog expert by any means, but Ive owned a couple GS's and I recently adopted an alaskan malmute/wolf hybrid. It was after adopting this dog, that I learned a lot more about how capable some dogs are at reading a human.

I wont echo what others have said, I will just add my point that I have learned through my experience.

I need to be extremely dominant and confident around my hybrid dog. If I am not, he will within the day, start challenging my position. You said (understandably) that you reacted with apprehension when your dog bared its teeth at you. I am sure that your dog will have noticed that you were afraid of it. The only recommendation that I can make, is that when your dog (should it ever happen again) shows signs of aggression towards you, it has to be met with greater aggression, or at least a complete sense of control and fearlessness. If you live with a dog you are afraid of, it is in my opinion that you get rid of that animal. I do not agree with hitting animals as a form of discipline, but there are times when dogs have to be met on equal terms, and an animal showing you that it is willing to bite you, needs to be educated at the exact moment it happens.

I really hope that it is a one time incident and that your dog goes back to being its normal self. But I have seen through my own trial and error, that a dog can be re-trained from worse behaviour patterns than what yours has exhibited. So if you have patience, I would not be too worried.

Dogs that attack humans once will do it again. Yours hasn't..., yet...

Have the animal evaluated by a professional vet. If he's in pain, have him treated effectively. Don't bring that animal back into your home with issues related to pain and defensive responses'

If he can't be treated effectively; ask the vet whether it's their opinion to have him put down, or find another home. Take the advice and move on. It's kinder for him and safer for you.

There are other dogs.

Greg

I saw that you stated that he has freedom to run, assumably on a large piece of property. I would like to state something that I did not see from other posters. You say that your dog was injured and showed aggression that it had never done before. I do not know laws in Ireland but here we have to have certain vaccines done on our animals such as rabies vaccine and others that we do just for thier health. Just stating outside the box..... have your pet checked by your vet for bite marks from another animal. We had a GSD when I was young that received rabies from some type of animal despite having all the required vaccines. To my memory, i believe, it took a week or longer to start showing symtoms but by the time the vet realized what it was it was too late. Our beloved GSD became a violent,110lb killing machine. I said all that for just this point, for your safety and his well being please run some tests just to be sure. We now have 5 Boxers and 1 American Bulldog and they all know the pecking order. My AB is the most loving non aggressive 90lb lump that is out there but that being said, you can trim his nails with my dremel tool and he will fall asleep while he gets his pedicure but show him nail clippers and he will show his pretty smile and growl at you. Go figure.....got to love em! Good luck and hope all goes well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If it's minor, simple Ibuprofin in a bit of meat if offered twice a day. </div></div>

Dont do that.

Something to work out as a couple best knowing each other, Marley, history, and recent events. Prior to Marley, do you have breed experience? My dog, a dog, her dog.

I raised a big male, uncut Chocolate Lab. Only raising my voice would stop him in his tracks and hurt his feelings when he did wrong. He once got hit by a car. The neighbors came and told me instantly. I scooped him up, put him in the bed of the truck and agressively bandaged his rear leg since it was bleeding. Took him to the vet with zero agressiveness toward me or the vet. He knew I was dad and would never cause him harm.

Flip side is that I got him a female Blue Heeler and had her spade. Blue/ Red heelers are know to be a big dog in a medium sized dog's body. Very territorial,and known to be one man dogs as well as protectors of families.

She was his dog when I was on duty at the fire station. She took a long time to bond with me. One day I was simply pulling a burr (little ball of thorny material) out of her hair and she snapped at me, but didn't connect. I open handed slapped her right across the face, then squeezed her muzzle very tight and held it to the ground and told her "no, bad dog". Never a problem again. She's been injured a time or two over the seven years I've had her and when I touch something that hurts. She'll just touch her nose to my hand to tell me it hurts.

I wouldn't give up on your beautiful dog just yet. I would do as the other men have said and make a trip to the vet, but I would also reestablish the dominance in the relationship. If ever there is another snap at you or your wife it would earn a closed fist punch to the jaw or between the eyes. I'm not a dog abuser by a damn sight, but I won't let them abuse me either.

Something else to consider that my last Border collie taught me.

When sleeping, he would let me pet him, but eventually he would softly growl as if to say "please leave me alone". He never snapped, or bit, just softly growled.

Then it occurred to me that I expected him to learn my language by knowing commands like "come, sit, stay" and so on. Dogs have a different way of communicating with other dogs, and with humans. I began to think that perhaps I should become more sensitive to "dog language" so that I could understand what he was trying to communicate to me.

So I started paying lots more attention not only to vocalizations, but body language, eye and ear position, and other very subtle ways dogs communicate. It just seemed to make more sense that if I really did care about the dog, I should learn about his ways of communication just like I want him to learn mine.

It worked out really well. He (Buster) was a wonderful dog for 14.5 years, and he taught me at least as much as I taught him. It got to the point where I could tell a great deal about what he was thinking just from paying attention to his physical clues, as well as his vocalizations. Border Collies really do think alot. More than some humans it seems.

I agree with some of the above posts...a right cross should fix your problem real quick. Regardless of an injury, large dogs (especially males) need to know their place, or problems will occur. It is black & white for them. Not to be overly harsh...but if you are uncomfortable with that, then you probably don't need to own a large dog.

IMO he tested you. The minute he showed agression, injured or not, it needed to be nipped in the bud. He showed aggresion twice than got loved on afterwards? Sounds like he's played you like a fiddle

You do not understand dogs or packs.

Doesnt matter why he snapped at you. Doesnt matter if hes hurt, or is feeling neglected. Not ever can you let a dog, especially a dangerous breed, act that way towards his pack. Aggression from him means his world ends right there and then.

The fact that he did it more than once means there are problems now in your pack that you dont seem aware of. Anytime you go into a situation where acts of agression or a bite can occur, you need to be prepared to issue a correction immediately. This means grooming, feeding, or anytime he is within 5 feet of you. Because while you may not be thinking it will happen, he is certainly considering if he can do it and get away with it. Now that he was successful, he is considering it in every interaction he has.

There is a GSD sleeping feet from me. Have a 160lb Dane in the other room. If either even so much as suspects the other got away with something they will be doing it too. Its all about capitalizing on perceived weakness.

And a gsd doesnt have to bite you to cause damage. A near miss with an open mouth and those canines will slice you open like a boars tusk.

Just an update, we brought marley to the vet and had 9 x-rays taken.he was diagnosed with Elbow dysplasia.We are now looking at surgery and possible injections for the rest of his life.he has since let me feel his leg with no bother, I must have really hurt him that first day.(although his response was still unacceptable)
I have also got in contact with a very well respected dog trainer who actually breeds and specialises in german shepards.we will be attending obedience classes just like when he was a puppy again to enforce who is the boss in his mind.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread

Sorry to hear. You can send the x-rays of his elbows and hips to the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) for an official grading before you decide on what course of action. Check the site out below, there's some very useful info on their site. FYI make sure the x-rays are properly positioned.
It will also be a very good idea to keep him as lean as possible, the less weight his joints have to support the better. Swimming is also an excellent conditioner with no impact on the joints.

http://www.offa.org/

Good Luck with him.