• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My google fu is weak. ... what's the best way to ship a rifle back to it's owner?

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
Buddy moved to Fla and asked me to 'watch' his Rem 783. Wife sold pretty much everything he left behind so it was a good idea.

Now he wants it back. Since it's his, I'm not transferring ownership.

I *think* I can send it USPS and not get in trouble, but I'd rather ask and make sure. All the results that come up are assuming I'm selling a firearm to someone else, but nothing comes up about sending the owner back his rifle.

The 'Pit seemed to be the only place this question fit, so here y'all go

M

You're allowed to ship a rifle to yourself. For this, I'd have him log on to USPS and have him pay for a shipping label and send it to you to print and affix to the package.

But I am no a lawyer
Or Shippo. Saves me at least 50% every time I used them. A big thanks to th member who turned me on to that.

Since it's his rifle tell him to come get it or ask him how he wants it shipped. As mentioned usps is the only method right now because of fedex douchbaggery. You could send it fedex or ups just don't tell em what's in the box (heh). But if it gets lost good luck raising a stink. If you go usps insure the shit out of it but that costs. So yeah what's your buddy want to do and how much does he want to spring for shipping?

You mean they wont accept golf clubs? Per my thread of last week, it may be against their rules but its not illegal.

But good luck if you need to file a claim.

Your other suggestion of shippo is a good one.. same for pirateship. Good rates compared to street prices

Reactions: Maggot
Of you do ship it yourself , .be sure you take the barreled action out of the stock, that way it can go in a smaller box and not be so conspicuous, and less likely to get damaged, I shipped a high-end airgun through USPS once and didn't break it down and they managed to break the stock at the wrist, the guy I sent it to repaired it because he said dealing with the USPS insurance was a pita.

Usps priority insured. Ship on Monday to minimize chances of it tempting someone over the weekend.

Go to your post office and ask for one of those triangular documents tubes long enough for the rifle.

Go to page 4:

TLDR: You ship it to a FFL (who is willing to accept it from an individual) in Florida. Your friend picks it up from that FFL (and does a 4473 with NICS check even though it's already his gun). (Also in the "why, it's already his gun" category, this is still an interstate transfer between individuals so a FFL has to be involved downstream.)

Or, for what he will pay for the shipping and transfer, he can drive up and fetch it himself.

Last edited:
where in va and where in fla?
I'm S and W of Manassas and he's in Tampa-ish.

940ish miles @ 9mpg is '$lot$.'

I don't think I'll have to get a motel cause i can drive to Charlotte and stay with my little brother

Thought I could take the auto train down, but it's $285 for the ticket plus another $350ish for the truck. Grrr The idea appeals, but not the price

M

I'm S and W of Manassas and he's in Tampa-ish.

940ish miles @ 9mpg is '$lot$.'

I don't think I'll have to get a motel cause i can drive to Charlotte and stay with my little brother

Thought I could take the auto train down, but it's $285 for the ticket plus another $350ish for the truck. Grrr The idea appeals, but not the price

M
Rent a car that gets 30+MPG and have your friend pay for the fuel. That's probably about what shipping will cost anyway

Weird, I just sent 'precision measuring tools' via FedEx and USPS in the past week and had no issues.

UPS is still doable, but they suck in general so, ymmv

Reactions: kenny1773