• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My grandfather gave me this the other day....

jaket13

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but a few weeks ago my grandfather handed me this rifle and told me to enjoy it.
It's pretty old, the rifle says 1894 Springfield Armory
I love how it shoots, but I was wondering if it would be worth anything?
here are some pics:
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Re: My grandfather gave me this the other day....

oh man I'm new to this so i don't know what provenance is... and yeah my Dad said it was modified so that probably messed everything up but I thought I'd still ask you guys
wait.. i looked it up.. provenance means where its from? I really don't know but I could ask my grandpap if that has any bearing on the rifle's worth

provenance sometimes adds value and worth to a wider range of collectors not Germain to the piece ....

It appears to be a .30-40 Krag-Jorgenson. Based on a Norwegian design originally chambered in 6.5x55 (I believe...) it was the predecessor to the M1903 and M1917.

Springfield Model 1892-99.

Although the stocks were manufactured in several configurations and it's hard to see from photos (Wiki's, not yours), it would appear that your rifle has been modified to a sporter configuration, and it looks to me to have been very nicely done, actually. If this is indeed the case, the rifle's primary value is as a shooter. The rifle was the first US adopted standard service rifle to employ smokeless powder. The action has been described by various reliable authorities as not being especially strong, so stick to either commercial ammunition or published handloads, hot loading is not recommended. If ammo is not readily available, look up Old Western Scrounger.

Greg

Ok, tour Grandpa gave it to you and told you to enjoy it. The next question is whats it worth... Nothing. Give it back to him.

I'd rather not give it back. I really enjoy shooting it. It's a nice change from the high powered rifles I usually shoot..
it'd be rude to give it back anyways. Me and my Dad were just curious if this was like a rare rifle or if their are a lot of them...

If you are truly interested in knowing what the dollar value is on the rifle, you could always try and contact the folks that do the Guns and Ammo television show and see if they could help you or contact Springfield Armory and they might be able to help you. The Guns and Ammo show always has a segment called "what's it worth" on each of their shows on old guns. That is for the dollar value. The reality is that if you truly enjoy shooting the rifle as you say, then the dollar value doesn't matter, enjoy shooting it. Hope that this helps.

It is indeed a .30/40 Krag Jorgenson rifle...sporterized.

The U.S. Gov't sold a lot of surplus rifles to civilians after WWI, and they became very popular to customize as they were inexpensive and made decent deer rifles. The action, while not particularly strong compared to a Mauser or .03 Springfield, is described as "slicker than greased snot" and the .30/40 round is about the same ballistically and in power as the .30-30 Winchester. Mine shoots VERY WELL.

It holds some historical significance as the first US mass issued bolt action military service rifle. The .30/40 Krag was also the first smokeless powder rifle cartridge mass issued to US troops. Most Krags saw use in the Spanish American war, some saw use with the Marines during the boxer rebellion and some rear echelon troops were issued them in the War to end all wars (and of course some sat in a rifle rack in warehouses).

Teddy Roosevelt personally bought the Rough Riders carbine versions of the .30/40 Krag and put them to use in the Spanish American War. Also gave birth to the statement "Civilize with a 'Krag" during the Marines occupation of Haiti and the Phillipines early in the 20th century.

Alas for the Krag, the round was significantly underpowered compared to the Mauser's 8mm round that the Spanish were using. The Mauser also had the innovation of a stripper clip slot, which made for a much quicker re-load and from the prone position. The Krag has a very unique magazine, but it is slower to reload and more akward from the prone.

To be honest, it's monetary value probably isn't that high. If it was in original "as issued" condition...maybe worth selling.

IMO...keep it as an interesting heirloom and pass it along to the next generation.

Nice Rifle.

IMHO dollar values are great for reporting to the insurance company (all of my stuff is insured).

The real value is that a man who loves you, gave you a rifle that he loved.

In the corner of my closet sits a M1 Garand that my Grandpa gave me. It's not worth a whole lot as Garands go, but it's priceless to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Rifle.

IMHO dollar values are great for reporting to the insurance company (all of my stuff is insured).

In the corner of my closet sits a M1 Garand that my Grandpa gave me. It's not worth a whole lot as Garands go, but it's priceless to me. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly! I'm not trying to say you don't appreciate it because it sounds like you really do but, If what its worth is really more important than who gave it to you, why he gave it to you then I'm sure you will eventually get the answer you are looking for. You really can't put a dollar amount on the fact that your Grandad wanted you to have it and to me that would make it priceless. Now days things like what he gave to you is more rare than the firearm. The gun is certainly vintage and probably has some monetary value but Grandpa's are vintage too and don't stay around forever. Enjoy the rifle like he told you and you better take him with you when you shoot it. Have someone take your picture with the both of you and the rifle, frame the the pic and put the rifle on a nice wood rack and put the picture next to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Rifle.

In the corner of my closet sits a M1 Garand that my Grandpa gave me. It's not worth a whole lot as Garands go, but it's priceless to me. </div></div>

I'm with you on this. My grandfather gave me an old Winchester .22 single shot before he passed. It's one of my favorites and I still shoot it quite a bit. I'll have that gun forever.

In the collector world it might be worth a couple hundred bucks. In your world it should be priceless. If your Grandfather is still around I'd be prying the stories of it's exploits out of him. Then I'd make some new ones with my children.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alas for the Krag, the round was significantly underpowered compared to the Mauser's 8mm round that the Spanish were using. The Mauser also had the innovation of a stripper clip slot, which made for a much quicker re-load and from the prone position. The Krag has a very unique magazine, but it is slower to reload and more akward from the prone.
</div></div>

Spanish were using 7x57mm ammo in their Mauser rifles.

It all depends upon the situation. You said you enjoy shooting it, so if thats the case it worth as much as you say it is. If your grandpa was like mine (a drunken A-hole) it would be worth what ever someone was willing to give for it. I have a couple firearms that were given to me as my first ever rifle and shotgun. They are priceless as i would never sell those. Those firearms have meaning to my life though. When i am gone and my girls get them, i dont care if they keep them as they will really have no meaning to them. They can keep all my plastic trophies to remember how much i enjoyed these sports. If deep down your wanting to sell the rifle so that you can purchase another more modern rifle, that will have meaning in your life, then do it. If your gran-folks are still alive i would ask before i did it though. If not sell the old shooter and buy something for you and your son. That old guns looks pretty cool and i am sure it only shoots so so. Ammo will be hard to come by, unless you reload for it, and brass may be hard to get anyway. I wouldnt know. I have a feeling your wondering what you could get out of it, and to me thats ok. Keep one thing in mind firearms are material things, Material things are not the route to fulfillment or happiness. Its really up to you to decide whats the right thing to do with the old gun. My good Grandpa was a train lover. He was also an electrical engineer. he built and played with model trains. He died several years ago and all the train stuff was packed into boxes up in the attic at my grandma's house. When i was 23 years old i decided it would take a look at all the trains my grandpa built. I didnt have any intention of playing with them as it just doesnt interest me. In one of the boxes up there was a journal. inside the journal was a letter grandpa left for me. It said that he wanted me to do what i wanted with the trains, and if i didnt like trains to just sell them and purchase what i did enjoy. I decided i would sell the trains. I got quite a hunk of cash out of those old trains. I purchased a few over unders and some other things. I did however keep the best engine and tender. It sits on my mantel above the fireplace. One mans happiness isn't necessarily another's. Memories are way more valuable than material items. Enjoy your life as you only get one, just dont ever forget the ones you love or loved. This is the way i see life. Live happy and be kind, but dont ever forget!! Lee

Although the Springfield Armory closed in 1968...the folks who run the National Historic Site http://www.nps.gov/spar/ may be able to assist you in researching the history of your Krag...

Jake-The Krag looks to be in fine shape.Ammo,brass is still available,also dies for reloading,most listed loads will be on the mild side to be safe.The round is close to 30/30 performence.Value-rifle given by a grandfather who is alive=priceless.Enjoy it.I have a stock carbine that came from the Mass.NG I,ve had for 40 years-pleasure to carry deer hunting-just keep the single bolt lug greased.barry

thanks so much for all the information and opinion guys! it really helped!