• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My GS contribution for the day. Light speed wood stock finishing...

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Wood is cool. Intimidating at first, then you realize eventually just how forgiving it is. I had a cheek piece install to do and finishing them has always been a chore. Whiskering the grain, sealing it, then days of filling the pores.

Blech. That shit takes too long.

I figured something out yesterday and its pretty bad ass. I wetted my hands slightly with some Permalyn and rubbed on the features that were naked. When my hands started to "cook" the solvents out the stuff got sticky. I threw the stock in the oven set at 120 for about 15 minutes. Took it out and it was almost hard again. A very light tack.

So, rubbed another coat on. This time it stiffened up really fast. I buffed with a bare hand for a little more, then back in the oven. Another 20-30 go by and it's again, almost there. So, another coat doing the same thing. This time I really saw the color come out and the depth in the finish was darn near perfect. One more time.

From there I just let it hang over night.

It's gorgeous. I've got a few hangers on the edges to sand off (I use 3,000 grit wetted with water) and then call it a day.

Never done it like that before, pretty cool.

C.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Wood is cool. Intimidating at first, then you realize eventually just how forgiving it is. I had a cheek piece install to do and finishing them has always been a chore. Whiskering the grain, sealing it, then days of filling the pores.

Blech. That shit takes too long.

I figured something out yesterday and its pretty bad ass. I wetted my hands slightly with some Permalyn and rubbed on the features that were naked. When my hands started to "cook" the solvents out the stuff got sticky. I threw the stock in the oven set at 120 for about 15 minutes. Took it out and it was almost hard again. A very light tack.

So, rubbed another coat on. This time it stiffened up really fast. I buffed with a bare hand for a little more, then back in the oven. Another 20-30 go by and it's again, almost there. So, another coat doing the same thing. This time I really saw the color come out and the depth in the finish was darn near perfect. One more time.

From there I just let it hang over night.

It's gorgeous. I've got a few hangers on the edges to sand off (I use 3,000 grit wetted with water) and then call it a day.

Never done it like that before, pretty cool.

C.
    Pic(s) ?

PICS

1542651493798.png

1542651512798.png

1542651531300.png

1542651544478.png

1542651557763.png

Looks awesome.

I really wanted to put a couple ULTACH in my Blaser shotgun, but the stock weight system doesn't allow for it. The carbon fiber is an excellent touch! I'm going to have to look into the Permalyn. Cutting into this stock terrifies me, I'm going to practice with my fixture and some pine a few times before the Blaser goes under the blade.