• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My "Hero" build

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2010
    NE Oklahoma
    To begin with let me tell you the purpose behind this build “Hero” by Larry McElroy of “Excorio Precision Arms”, Let me just premise this by saying that this in no way can explain or cover the complete story. Like so many parents they are partial to their children but this will be as honest as I can be. This build was done in tribute to my oldest son Ryan, to try and capture his jest for life, being the “best” and the protection and caring for others. He always was looking or going out of his way to seek goodness in others and helping out others without regards to his own situation. His goal in life was to try and be and live the best in everything he came upon, sure he struggled through things like most kids did but never lost sight of “his” given life’s purpose. Though parents can teach and guide he became a mentor to his younger brother in which Sean looked up to with the utmost respect (a hero).
    At the age of 9 while still in grade school he wrote a letter to the Marine Corp and expressed the desire to join since it would be yet another avenue to help out his country and fellow citizens and also be associated in his mind… “The Best” Of course the Corp told him to stay in school but Ryan never forgot and kept true to himself his commitment. He entered the Marine Corp Reserve in 1998 and after finishing his basic he tried out to become a Marine Corp sniper in which he failed the first time but made it on his second try. He continued his reserve duty and was pursuing becoming a fire fighter, again to help others.
    In February of 2003 he was called to active duty and sent to Iraq in 2004, where he served until 2005 when he sustained an injury sending him state side for rehab and several operations. During this time Ryan was constantly feeling that he had failed his brothers in the Corp, Larry called it “Churchill’s Black Dog” and I agree as we lost him on November 3rd 2005 and was called to pull the greatest duty for a Marine…‘To Guard the Gates of Heaven”. Looking back over Ryan’s short time with us as most parents do it’s with sadness and grief but most of all with the greatest admiration in what he believed in and worked so hard to accomplish in so short of time. He was just one of many men and women that we owe so much but yet they expected so little. I truly believe in such a thing as he will always be…. Cpl Ryan K. Sullivent… My Son…“My Hero”

Here are a few pics of the finished build, I’m sorry but believe me they can not do this piece of work its due justice. The spec’s of the build are: .260, Surgeon 591, Surgeon DBM, 24” Krieger 1.8 #10 MTU, McMillan A3-5 in desert camo, Jewell trigger set @ 2.5lb, Spuhr 20moa mount with an S&B 5-25X56 p4f, Metal is Cerakote FDE. though the test groups are only 3 shot groups it has put 5 shot groups of 1.25” @ 316yds and 2.5” @ 608.
    DSC00429.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

I contacted several builders before selecting Larry McElroy after all I had never done this before and because he just seem to get just how important this build was and the purpose behind it and that was very important, not just to build a rifle but to fulfill my dream, my commitment which became Larry’s. Over the last year and some Larry and I conversed via several phone calls and emails, pictures and such, things he normally didn’t do for a build! We both had some very long nights and some sleepless ones as well. It had become us… our purpose… in his words his “Magnum Opus” and I believe it, for that I will always be very grateful to this builder, this man, this person that I didn’t know from Adam and he me, but I can honestly say that without him it wouldn’t have happened…. No way.
    hero12.jpg

Thank you Larry McElroy, a true craftsman, person, and most of all... My Friend!
    In closing I hope I haven’t rambled too much but yet instead tried to relay its meaning. Thank you for reading and looking.
    Sully

Re: My "Hero" build

What an amazing build and even more so what an amazing son. Thank you greatly for sharing this awesome build and the story about this True American Hero.

Semper Fidelis

Thank you for the story, we can never and will never thank you enough for the sacrifices you have made. Its truly an honor to have men like yourself on the forum.

Thank you for sharing your sons story, and his service.

The sacrifices are so many and yet so personal at the same time. In a family, when a loved one serves, all are serving. To say thank you for your family's service to this nation is so inadequate to the magnitude of your loss. Everyday I think about what I saw these heroes like Ryan do over there and my heart is full. I am continually humbled by the selflessness of the Soldiers and Marines I tried to serve.

Not everyone in this country will understand the burdens your family has borne in its dedication. I hope that you may find some small comfort in accepting the grateful appreciation of those that do understand that everything we hold dear in this country has been built upon the shoulders of American Patriots like your son Ryan. God Bless you and your Family.

Thanks for sharing your sons story. If only the world had only more heroes like him.

Building a rifle is a great way to stay connected.

Thank you very much for sharing the story.
    It's a great honour for me that you chosed our mount for the build.
    Best Regards Håkan Spuhr

Ryan sounds like an exemplary human being and an outstanding Marine. I thank you for sharing his story and allowing us to honor his memory.

I thank you for sharing your story.YOUR SON IS GREAT HERO.And so are all of the other men and women that are over there.I was really blessed my son came home.

Thank you for sharing not only this amazing piece of machinery, but also your sons story. He is a true American hero, and you, and your family, are the people who must deal with the unfortunate circumstances that happened. I'm sure Ryan would have loved this rifle, its everything anyone could have ever wanted, and then it has a story that is second to none. Thank you, and thank you to all the current, former, and fallen soldiers for everything that these courageous men and women have done for us all.

Thank you for sharing your sons story! I think it's an excellent tribute to your son. He is a true hero!

Thanks for sharing the story of your son and from the bottom of my heart Semper Fi.

Amazing story... no better way to pay tribute and stay connected to your son forever. Thanks for sharing.

A few words should be changed but even at that it could not be said better:

"Dear Madam: I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Yours very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln."

Sir,
    Thank you so much for shairing you and your sons story with us. The rifle is a awsome way to honor your son, I am sure he would be proud! Ever look on Heaven’s scenes; They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines!

SEMPER FIDELIS

"If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heavens scenes,they will the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

Semper Fi my brother.

Amazing! Thank you for your story, sacrifice, and service you have paid to this country.