• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Home made rotary tumbler for stainless media

sst04

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Milledgeville Ga
Decided to make a Home made rotary tumbler for stainless steel. My dad works on typewriters and has a nice selection of old parts.

The Motor and paper rollers are off IBM selectic models. The rollers already had bushings on them, the only thing I really had to do was cut one of the hand wheels off and install the gear.

The Motor is a 1/35hp 1625rpm, It has a clutch on it that will engage the drive gear once the motor gets some speed. Dad said these motors dont go bad, so we will see.

I tried it today with 500+ 40s&w brass just to add some weight to it and there was no difference, seems like it will have enough power to tumble the 5lbs of stainless, water and brass.

If I can not get the cooler lid to seal, Im going to go with a 9in piece of PVC pipe. I installed some paddles inside the cooler to move the media around.

I will end up making everything again so it will look nicer, but only after I see how it will do tumbling for a couple of hours.

So far I only have about 4 hours tied up in it and zero dollars.

Suggestions are welcome!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVkuDFBpKVA "></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVkuDFBpKVA " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: My Home made rotary tumbler for stainless media

I'm glad I came across this. I have been pondering making my own rotary tumbler as well. Now to tear apart a few old printers I refused to throw away and see if I can throw one together.

What's a Typewriter ? HA HA Nice !

Back in the 1960's I worked for IBM fixing typewriters. I think your dad is right about the Selectric motors. They loads they carried were probably several times what your rig will generate.

Greg

So, Dad was cool with the motor parts, right?
Was Mom cool with taking the cabinet door off so you could screw all the parts to it? LOL
Looks like a great project.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, Dad was cool with the motor parts, right?
Was Mom cool with taking the cabinet door off so you could screw all the parts to it? LOL
Looks like a great project.
SScott </div></div>

Nah, that was some old table that was thrown in the dumpster!

I have been known to dive in sometimes
laugh.gif

My wife has a fit everytime I bring something home.

I've been trying to convince the girlfriend that a rotary tumbler would be a good use for the treadmill............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been trying to convince the girlfriend that a rotary tumbler would be a good use for the treadmill............ </div></div>

You fucked up when you asked her. Good idea and just do it.

We have an on old rock tumbler tht my girls don't use anymore. Would something like that work with SS media. I know it would be small but I may give it a try.

Looks like a good working machine. I'm sure that you have spawned many other machines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a good working machine. I'm sure that you have spawned many other machines. </div></div>

X2

nice just what I have been thinking of doing.

tag, That looks great, be sure to keep us updated on how well it does.

now if you can just get the typewriter to ding when the brass is done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heydavemd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now if you can just get the typewriter to ding when the brass is done </div></div>

Funny, my wife said the same thing

I'd add a safety shield to cover the belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd add a safety shield to cover the belt. </div></div>

I am going to mold a piece of Lexan around the motor and a piece for the belt.

very interesting. I like seeing people come up with ingenious ways to save some money lol.