• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My homemade target stand (IPSC AR500 Steel target)

srv656s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
KC, MO
I got the target a while back and was trying to decide the best way to mount it for shooting. I'd been planning to hang it from the holes, but was concerned about a round breaking the chain or material I used to hang it. Also, all the ideas I had for a hanging system ended up with pretty elaborate and large designs. I came up with this design and thought it worked pretty well for 2 reasons. #1 is that most of the stand is behind the target and #2 is that I had all this scrap wood laying around in these exact sizes. I only had to make one cut to get this all together, so it was pretty easy.

IMG_7881.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

The whole thing is pretty small and fit in the back of my SUV without having to disassemble. I had 2 sides to it so when one of the hanging screws got shot off you could just spin it around and use the other side.

IMG_7888.jpg

IMG_7893.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

From shooting it, I noticed that the bullets explode when they hit the steel and end up digging a trench out in front of the target for about 5 yards in either direction and that splatter digs in to the legs holding the target.

You can really see the trench in this pic:
IMG_7914.jpg

We shot one side with handguns (9mm and .45). My brother in law was going for a headshot when he nailed the mounting screw. We shot the other side sighting in an AR15 at 100 yards and just some offhand shooting with my AK.
IMG_7903.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

Overall the stand worked pretty well. I'll put another piece of scrap on one side to replace the shot out screw. The legs got chewed up from the splatter but not bad enough to really weaken it yet.

Re: My homemade target stand (IPSC AR500 Steel target)

the wood wont last long. go all metal design

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wood wont last long. go all metal design </div></div>

I think it'd take a while to get eaten through completely. The design worked better than I expected, and was pretty much free for me since I had all the scrap wood laying around...

I think it'll work pretty well until I find something better.

As far as the chain breaking from impacts, I use 1/2 inch chain with 10 to 12 inches of slack between target and stand. These targets have stood up to 30/06 at 200gr at 100 yards without failure of the chains. Hope this helps. Also if you continue to use your wooden stands use bolts with washers set slightly loose will last longer. Rthur