• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My idea to fix AICS badger bolt cutout nastyness!

BigJilm!

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Kansas
Here is my first prototype of a replacement "bolt cutout" for the AICS stock with a Badger M-2008 action. Feel free to copy for your own use. Anyone wanting to manufacture can shoot me a PM.
smile.gif

AICSbolt002.jpg

AICSbolt001.jpg

Brass is all I had laying around, aluminum would be better. Piece will be attached with two allen screws after milling away the AICS piece.

Enjoy!

BigJilm!

Re: My idea to fix AICS badger bolt cutout nastyness!

Jilm- You are a ROCKSTAR! I was wondering what I was going to do about that ugliness. Thank you.

Looks great, but how will you attach it? Please post a pic once you finish the project.

EDIT: dohhh, I didnt see the text under the pics.

Finished the metalwork. Test fire and paint are next!
cool.gif

BigJilm!

AICSbolt004.jpg

AICSbolt005.jpg

Wow, looks great! well done!

Trim the AL frame, and then just get an AI skin?

(I've a spare set.... anyone?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trim the AL frame, and then just get an AI skin?

(I've a spare set.... anyone?) </div></div>

I thought about that but I think the AI bolt handle is back a bit farther.

Can anyone with a AICS and AI take a look?

BigJilm!

Hmmmm... doesn't look heavy duty enough for me(grinning).

Looks like you did an excellent job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm... doesn't look heavy duty enough for me(grinning).

Looks like you did an excellent job. </div></div>

Yea I thought about tungsten carbide but the batteries in my laser cutter were dead.
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the positive comments. This is my first rifle build and with the help of a buddy it is turning out really nice!

BigJilm!

That's sweet. Looks like you need to hit it with some brass black.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJilm!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trim the AL frame, and then just get an AI skin?

BigJilm! </div></div>

Take a look at this pic, top is AI, bottom is AICS. The AI one, is right about the same location as the Badger.

IMG_0212-vi.jpg

I just bought a set of AI skins also and was going to cut them for my AICS but i may keep them stock for a while. I would like to see those skins mounted

Man, it looks close!

If anyone wants to send me a free set of skins I'll check to see if they fit!
grin.gif

BigJilm!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03bulletstopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a set of AI skins also and was going to cut them for my AICS but i may keep them stock for a while. I would like to see those skins mounted </div></div>

IMG_0341-vi.jpg

You can't even tell.... this black skin started out as an AI skin....

Well done! Also this would look good with a Surgeon action too, the straight surgeon bolt handle just never looked right in an AICS to me.

That does look REALLY good. I've got a Badger/AICS build in my future.

Thanks for the positive comments. Here is the finished piece with Duracoat. I'm really happy the way it turned out!

L1020214.jpg

BigJilm!

I too want to see aw skins on an aics with the cutout milled off.

I also had wondered if the AW skins would fit an Aics with a Badger action .<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJilm!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trim the AL frame, and then just get an AI skin?

BigJilm! </div></div>

Take a look at this pic, top is AI, bottom is AICS. The AI one, is right about the same location as the Badger.

IMG_0212-vi.jpg
</div></div>

That looks really slick with that piece bolted in there.
smile.gif

Very cool!

Looks good. I have been doing this for a while, but I have attached the block a little differently so you cannot see the hardware.

Mark

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg