• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Ignorance

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
I'm about to load some .223 for the first time. Did some online shopping for some bullets and every one seems to be selling .224 bullets. Is this ok to load to shoot in a Model 70 chambered for .223? Also, my barrel is a 1 in 9 twist 26". What weight would you guys recommend?

Re: My Ignorance

yes. .224" bullets are what you want. probably something in the 50-60 grain range (i'm assuming the Win 70 has a 1-12 twist)

223 is the name of the cartridge. It is a 22 caliber. These (almost?) all measure 0.224" diameter of the projectile (bullet). And yes, you will want to shoot bullets between 40-60gr.

JohnGFoster got it right. All modern, .22 caliber, centerfire cartridges use 0.224" diameter bullets. This includes .223 Rem, .222 Rem, .222 Rem Magnum, .22-250, .220 Swift, etc. They can all use the same bullets, but case size and shape differ.

Skep_tic1, I 'm compelled to ask you what reloading manual are you using to get your reloading data from. I'm pretty sure most of them would give you that type of information.

If you don't have a manual I reccommend you to get one before you buy ANYTHING else. If you have one Read it. If you did, Read it again...twice.

For what it's worth there ARE some .223 diameter bullets, they are used for "older" normally smaller cartridges like .22 Hornet. There are how-ever some 22 Hornet rifles that have bores made for .224 diameter bullets.
Why? My understanding of it is that it was a common practice to have suitable rimfire rifles converted to centerfire and the rimfire barrels rechambered. The rimfire barrels use .223 diameter bullets.

.223 Diameter bullets are normally not very common off the shelf, usually just mail order.(IME)
Which is just fine because as was mentioned you want .224 40-60 grain. I've had good luck with 60 grainers but mostly run 55's.

.223 Rem cartridges are designed to be used with .224" diameter bullets.

.223" diameter bullets are designed to be used with the .22 Hornet, the first versions of which were simply rechambered .22LR rimfires, whose bores are sized to employ .223" diameter cast lead bullets. .223 diameter bullets are not intended to be used in any other certerfire application I am aware of.

It would appear that said ignorance, although understandable, needs to be remedied well before you actually lay hands on any handloading equipment. Questions of this fundamental importance indicate that you really do need to find both a good source of written information and someone with some experience to personally help guide you through the initial stages of reloading, for safety sake at the very least.

Don't take this as a criticism, it's the same advice I'd give to anyone in your position, and how pretty much all of us got started ourselves.

Greg

Thanks for the info. Never loaded any .223 before. Yes, I should have referred to my book before I layed it out there like that. Sorry.... Ok, the dude I got the rifle from was wrong this thing actually has a 1 in 9 twist. What grain bullets have you had good luck loading with this twist. Thanks for all the constructive critisicm.

That changes <span style="font-size: 17pt">everything !</span>

Kidding, though you really need a at least three good manuals.

The 1:9" twist is pretty generally thought to be about the most versatile barrel twist for this cartridge. Thus you can usually shoot the light bullets well and get up to 75 grain bullets to shoot very well depending on the quality of your rifle, type of bullet, shooting ability and quality of your handloads.

This too is usually well covered in various manuals. Get the Lyman, the Lee and the Hodgdon manuals as they are pretty exhaustive and you'll enjoy them as well.

How far are you shooting, and what venue?
I have tried 69gr Sierra's in my 1in9 twist 20 inch AR. I couldn't get the same accuracy with them that I did with the lighter bullets.
I would still recommend staying with the 50 to 60 grain to start with, you can always try the heavier ones later.

I have roughly a <8.5 twist 223 that shoots the 75 gr Amax like a house on FIRE....and have heard from a number of other shooters that my twist is the absolute slowest for the 75's....Ive talked to a few people that have attempted to shoot the 75's in a 1-9 twist with very little luck...just my .02

My Rem 700 LTR shoots both 69 and 77 SMKs out of it's 20'' 1 in 9 barrel sub moa - 1/2 moa when I do my bit. Works out to at least 600 yards.

40's will probobly be just fine. The 69 and up may be fine also, but as this is a new venture for the OP, I think he would be best served trying the 50 or 55's.
Once you get a feel for what you are doing then go and try the heavies. If they work good, that's great, but if they don't you really don't need to be fighting with them or getting discouraged right off the bat.

Best all around fun load that shoots little bug holes.

LC Case
24.5 gr Varget (basically full case)
55 gr bullet of choice (I have used several non FMJs)

Shoots 1/4-1/2 minute.