• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My intro into the precision rifle world. FN A3G

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First off, a hello to all the members of the hide. I have been an observer of this website for about 3 years now and just recently decided to finally join.

Here is what I consider my first precision rifle. An FN SPR A3G
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

I bought this baby online back in the summer, brand new un-fired for $2100. You gotta love the internet. I had orginally only planned on getting the SPR A1, which at the time I could find new for about $1600. I have always wanted the A3G since I first learned about FN's bolt guns, but couldn't justify the $2600 asking price for it from every place I looked. The guy wanted $2300 for this one, but I was able to talk him down to $2100.

As for the rest of my setup. I'm in college, and work part time at Sports Authority. Since we are a Leupold dealer, I got to use the 3point5 program and order myself a scope and rings for 50% off MSRP. So I picked up a Leupold Mark 4 6.5X20 FFP scope with the TMR reticle and the new M5 turrets for $1062, and some Leupold Mark 4 steel rings for $82. The Harris bipod is the 6" to 9" swivel model with leg notches that I picked up off of Ebay brand new in the packaging for $50 with free shipping. No lie. I watched these for about a month trying to save myself $10 or $20 off of the normal $96 price. When I hopped on one day and found this one. It was one of those "if it seems to good to be true, then...." but I took a chance, and behold, brand new, sealed package, Harris S-BRM bipod for $50. Did I find some great deals or what!!

This rifle is a heavy beast, but that didn't stop me from taking it Antelope hunting in August!
IMG_0308.jpg

I dropped this guy with one shot at the amazing and impressive distance of 50 yards! lol. The whole reason I had been applying for an antelope tag for 3 years is because everyone says they are harder to hunt and you have to usually shoot from 350+ yards or they start running. But... when you find a good one staring at you from 50 yards away, what are you gonna do?

As far as target shooting, like the very top says, this is my first precision rifle, so I am also very new to precision shooting. My A3G came with a .38" test target, and they have a 1/2" guarantee, but I cant shoot that...yet. I seem to hover between 3/4" and 1.5" I dont blame the gun however. I will get 3 or 4 bullet holes touching, then get all nervous and excited about shooting a tight group and end up flinging the last shot or two away from the rest. I dont reload yet. And I realize that reloading is what I need to get every bit of accuracy out of my rifle. Being in college housing, reloading just isn't in the cards yet. I do however, have around 500 rounds of BVAC 168 grain A-max ammo I had been slowly buying over the last 4 years. You can see two boxes of it in the pic below.
IMG_0416.jpg

Even though I didn't have a .308, I knew I wanted one, so I would buy 2 or 3 boxes at each gun show, and just 2 years ago BVAC's match .308 ammo could be had at the local gun shows for $12-$14 a box. Its now up around $20 I think, which is right where Federal Gold Medal Match is at, so I have bought some of it recently, its just been too cold to go out and shoot and see if that sucks in my group sizes from the BVAC ammo.

Anyways, I am excited about my rifle, I am excited about learning to shoot long range, to shoot for precision, and I am excited to be a member of Snipers Hide! This site is a true treasure trove of information for me, and I will keep you guys updated on my progression with my FN A3G!!!

IMG_0257.jpg

Re: My intro into the precision rifle world. FN A3G

not much to progress with those rifles, they are pretty amazing right out of the box brother. good buy, i love my FN SPR. these barrels love the FGMM 168 if your going to practice groups or dot drills with factory ammo.

good buy bro, great price you got for it too. welcome to the Hide, welcome to LR shooting. enjoy your self, buy/load lots of ammo. and if you just starting, use every video you can find on here for your benefit, they will help cut out a lot of questions and growing pains.

Looks like you are on the right track. I might suggest the online training here, it is only $10 a month and it is sure to shrink those groups.

Great rifle. I'm in Utah as well and have a near new SPR with an A4 stock and bull barrel if one of your friends are interested. I'll make them a smoking deal.

Hit me up via pm and we can hopefully link up for some trigger time.

Nice rifle, I'd suggest transitioning to 175gr if you are going to stretch you legs in the future. I ran 168's for a long time until I had the opportunity to shoot much past 600. Wish I would have switched to 175's WAY sooner. Its hard to beat a good 308 and a 175SMK load....

Southwest Ammunition makes the best match 308 ammo at the best price. Until you start reloading, I'd suggest talking to Mike.

Great rifles!!

nice pics. nice rifle.
Have fun!

Sweet sunset photo.. +1 on the rig too.

You live in College Housing with a firearm? I'd be real careful on who sees & knows about your rifle and ammo. I'd hate for the "anti's" out there to throw a duck fit about your weapon on school property.

Beautiful setup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, I'd suggest transitioning to 175gr if you are going to stretch you legs in the future. I ran 168's for a long time until I had the opportunity to shoot much past 600. Wish I would have switched to 175's WAY sooner. Its hard to beat a good 308 and a 175SMK load....

Southwest Ammunition makes the best match 308 ammo at the best price. Until you start reloading, I'd suggest talking to Mike.</div></div>

Thats the plan. Especially when I start reloading. I will probably focus on the 175 SMK and 155 Senars. I bought the 168's because that is all BVAC offered at the gun shows. It was also a really good price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You live in College Housing with a firearm? I'd be real careful on who sees & knows about your rifle and ammo. I'd hate for the "anti's" out there to throw a duck fit about your weapon on school property.

Beautiful setup! </div></div>

Its not school property. Its privately owned, just made for college students. This is a college town, and you have to remember this is also Utah, all of my roomates have guns, two of which have their Concealed Carry Permits. In fact between the 4 of us there are 14 guns in my house, lol.

Good to hear!!

I bought a used A3G thinking it's gonna be my 'be all' 308 LR rifle. But my high expectations got me a lemon... as always. the damn thing won't shoot less than 1.125 MOAs with any ammo. The funny thing is, the proof target had a 4-shot group exactly the same shape as mine and measured 1.25" ctc with 3 holes under .4".

Luckily, I got a good contact from FN and told me my serial number could be one from a bad batch of barrels. FN paid the shipping and now exactly 9 weeks later, it's back at my house. Looks like they replaced something according to their online service status log. I'll check my 'before photos' to see if they replaced the barrel.

I'll post the new proof target later tonight if there is one in the box. I'll post range report after i have a chance to shoot it. I can't wait!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Shot Mofo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a used A3G thinking it's gonna be my 'be all' 308 LR rifle. But my high expectations got me a lemon... as always. the damn thing won't shoot less than 1.125 MOAs with any ammo. The funny thing is, the proof target had a 4-shot group exactly the same shape as mine and measured 1.25" ctc with 3 holes under .4".

Luckily, I got a good contact from FN and told me my serial number could be one from a bad batch of barrels. FN paid the shipping and now exactly 9 weeks later, it's back at my house. Looks like they replaced something according to their online service status log. I'll check my 'before photos' to see if they replaced the barrel.

I'll post the new proof target later tonight if there is one in the box. I'll post range report after i have a chance to shoot it. I can't wait!! </div></div>

Thats strange. I have never seen a test target with 4 shots on it, and I have seen several dozen. Hopefully they fixed it. I to have been worried about getting a rifle with a bad barrel from back when they happened when the winchester plant closed. I am curious, what is your serial numbers range (I dont need the whole thing, just what group of a thousand it is in). Mine is 166***, which I have found several posts online from people that had barrel chrome flake issues and they where all in the 15,500 to 17,000 range. Mine has been 100% so far, with 500+ rounds thru it. And now that I am learning to shoot it better my groups are hovering right around the half inch mark with Federal Gold Medal Match. Here's hoping it stays that way.

And for the record, I love my FN SPR, and I really like FN as a company. No one reading this should hesitate to get an SPR, the bad "batches" where back in 06 when Winchester was closing and as far as I can tell was contained within a group of a couple hundred rifles. All the new manufactured SPR's are in the 30,000+ serial number range and 100% good to go.

50% off a Mark 4... looks like i'm getting a part time job at the sports authority

I love my FN SPR A3G.

Honestly I have never even looked to see if I have a "bad barrel" range. I am not even sure where the serial number is on my FN! HAHA!

Regards,
Greyson

nice rifle, thanks for sharing! So much for "speed goat" hunting, eh?

Very nice rig. Beautiful images especially the sunset picture. Enjoy the rifle and keep reading on how you can improve your skills. I know I have alot to learn! =)

draven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50% off a Mark 4... looks like i'm getting a part time job at the sports authority </div></div>

Yeah its a pretty sweet deal. I am gonna order myself another one in about a month

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50% off a Mark 4... looks like i'm getting a part time job at the sports authority </div></div>

Yeah its a pretty sweet deal. I am gonna order myself another one in about a month</div></div>

Make it 2! haha And bump for ur A3! as I love my A1

Nice pics, definitely on the right path, Good Luck, Good Shooting, and welcome to the hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0257.jpg
</div></div>

Nice write up! Fantastic rifle set-up! Isn't the 3point5 the bomb!? And absolutely LOVE that sunset photo! Are you a photo-journalist p/t? You "brag" well, keep it up!
smile.gif

-G45

I recently picked up an A1 that is number 155. This is my first LR rifle. It had 400 rounds through it when it arrived. I have put two boxes through it and this gun likes Black Hill better then FGMM. I don't know why but it does. The first trip out I nailed a .538 three shot group. When the new scope "just like yours but with the MOA turrets" came in. I shot it last Monday and put an eight shot group at 100yds to .745. I was going to stop at three then five then I did at 8. I was just having so much fun I couldn't stop. Love that FN!! Side note- my brother has number 62. He shot a three shot group at .238.

Love the picks and have as much fun as you can stand!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nice write up! Fantastic rifle set-up! Isn't the 3point5 the bomb!? And absolutely LOVE that sunset photo! Are you a photo-journalist p/t? You "brag" well, keep it up!
smile.gif

-G45 </div></div>

No, I have never done anything with photo journalism, I'm a finance student, I hope to become a stock broker. All the pictures where taken with my $150 Canon Powershot, nothing fancy.
blush.gif