• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My JP Valkyrie Shipped!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Was teaching class this past weekend, but got the Call that my Valkyrie Shipped from JP

Super psyched to shoot this rifle,

JPValkyrie.jpg

Excellent!! I'm just a tad jealous since I so far only have a barrel on order and that's not even shipped yet. What trigger is that on that JP build?

Excellent!! I'm just a tad jealous since I so far only have a barrel on order and that's not even shipped yet. What trigger is that on that JP build?

sorry to hi-jack the thread. what barrel did you get?

my bison armory 24" 1:6.5 should be here next week-ish. I just sent Ben my bolt to check the headspace and then it should be sent out. It's the last piece of the puzzle I'm waiting for!

22" JP Barrel they are 1-7 I believe

The Trigger is the Tom Fuller designed Roller Trigger JP Uses, I like them, not everyone else does. The trigger shoe rolls to index the finger.
    I had never heard of that trigger. I think that I would have to try it out first to see if it worked for me.

sorry to hi-jack the thread. what barrel did you get?...
    22" 1:6.7 Rock Creek +2 with head-spaced bolt by Craddock Precision.

Reactions: Olen_4504
    nice, congrats. and please some range reports with factory ammo for us one or two non-reloaders here...

Reactions: Jeffd
    Very nice. I just love JP rifles. I still remember the first one I saw at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun a long time ago. John Paul was in squad ahead of us and I can remember standing waiting for that squad to finish up, starring at John's rifle.

Anyway I got a NIB SCR-11 that I have had for 3 or 4 years. I've given a lot of thought to re barreling that rifle to 224V and putting it to some use.

I'll be watching for updates as to how your rifle performs.

Reactions: Jeffd
    That paint is sexy. Will you be trying the Hornady ammo when it comes out? Curious if it actually stabilizes in a 1:7 like Hornady claims, you're at pretty high altitude so chances are probably good it will regardless.

So JP has resolved whatever concern they had about the first barrels? My son shot Brian Ws gun for a day at a class and loved it. Can’t wait to hear more.

Congratulations! That is a sweet rifle and you're making me more antsy to get mine. Damn, that is almost identical to my rifle except I've got a 6.5 CM coming in. I gotta say, there's some conspiracy going on where Frank gets his experimental new valkyrie rifle before I get my established 6.5CM back. He must have used that time machine Hitler used to get to Argentina or whatever the hell Frank was talking about in episode 60.

Reactions: PBWalsh and Jeffd
    Am I seeing one of their thermal dissipators under the handguard? Always wondered how well they worked.

Looks great. With the scope, I have to put the eyepiece forward, flush with the rear of the receiver in order to get a usable eye relief. Curious, how are you getting it done with the scope so far back?

When you write out what the JP has feature wise it doesn't seem that different. Adjustable gas and a brake are nothing special. A propriety BCG isn't that uncommon. Cryo barrel is a common cool kid feature. Heat dissipator, not unheard of. But all of those put together- and then tuned right- are more than the sum of the parts.

Most people shoot standard derivative ARs, but when you shoot a tuned JP AR, you can really tell the difference. That's what you get when you have a company run by shooters and works with shooters like Brian Whalen.

Silly stupid smooth.

Can't wait to try a roller trigger.

Reactions: stwcattle
    Looks great. With the scope, I have to put the eyepiece forward, flush with the rear of the receiver in order to get a usable eye relief. Curious, how are you getting it done with the scope so far back?

It's a picture don't look too much into it yet, as I have not shot it.

Plus I am short, my LOP is short too which is why I am using a Gen 2 and not a Gen 3 stock

Getting me pumped for my 224 Valkyrie SCR-11 as well. Mine has a 20" light contour barrel with the UBR stock. Talking with JP, the 90gr Federal loads are shooting much tighter at elevation, so we'll see how it shoots at 6800 feet. Real interested in trying the Hornady 88gr ELD offering as well.

Plus I am short, my LOP is short too which is why I am using a Gen 2 and not a Gen 3 stock
    Ah I see. Yes I was wondering about the PRS as well. Love the side charger

I'm short too. And I have 2 of the gen3's.

The 1st one I got came on my MSR10 and that worked out because the receiver is quite a bit shorter than a regular full size 10. I use none of the adjustments!

The 2nd one I got from a buddy who couldn't use it on his full size 10 because it was to long and he kept his gen2.

This one will go on one of my ar15's
    If I build one into a Valkyrie? Maybe just stick with an A2?

Getting me pumped for my 224 Valkyrie SCR-11 as well. Mine has a 20" light contour barrel with the UBR stock. Talking with JP, the 90gr Federal loads are shooting much tighter at elevation, so we'll see how it shoots at 6800 feet. Real interested in trying the Hornady 88gr ELD offering as well.

Contemplating a 224V barrel for my SCR-11.. Could you expand on choosing the lite contour barrel? Curious your thoughts and any accuracy info JP may have given you.

Ah I see. Yes I was wondering about the PRS as well. Love the side charger

I set the stock length on the magpul PRS such that I get a good cheek placent on the adjustable check piece before mounting the scope. This usually puts the eyepiece an inch or more to the rear of the end of the receiver, but not quite as far as in Frank's pic. My experience has been that eye boxes on high mag scopes are too short to mount as you suggest, and keep my face on the cheek piece...

I set the stock length on the magpul PRS such that I get a good cheek placent on the adjustable check piece before mounting the scope. This usually puts the eyepiece an inch or more to the rear of the end of the receiver, but not quite as far as in Frank's pic. My experience has been that eye boxes on high mag scopes are too short to mount as you suggest, and keep my face on the cheek piece...
    The scope I am using now on an AR platform is the Sig Tango 6 3-18x44. This particular one has a pretty far eye relief compared to everything else I have. I actually have to get even a little further back with this one. But in my experience, the right spot for me has always been eyepiece at the aft receiver with pretty much anything.

Will you be running the 75gr Ae stuff you mentioned on the podcast? That stuff is cheaper than .223 match stuff at my lgs. Would be cool if it shot.

I have a feeling that we are soon to have definitive info on the 224V's viability. This not to discount all the posts we have been reading, but Frank does have a ton of pertinent reviewing experience, and has also waited for much of the initial sorting of equipment and ammo to be accomplished. Going with JP may have been the key move for the win.

Watching this all while trying hard not to soak the rug with envious drool...

Greg

I'm hoping Frank tests some form of 80grain bullets. They still take advantage of the shorter case but can be run at higher velocities than the 88/90s.

I've seen claims of 2950 but I'd be happy with 2850 out of a 22" barrel.

I'm hoping Frank tests some form of 80grain bullets. They still take advantage of the shorter case but can be run at higher velocities than the 88/90s.

I've seen claims of 2950 but I'd be happy with 2850 out of a 22" barrel.

I have a 24" JP and am getting 2900fps out of the 80 ELDs with reloader 15

Anybody shooting the American Eagle 75s? Real world velocity? It's 7.99 at a store by me. Insane.

24", 9.5 twist (edit, that would be 7.5twist...)
    224.jpg

Last edited:
    I've had a JP barrel on order since December. Getting a little impatient when places like Craddock and CLE offering barrels with premium blanks for the same price as JP and their wilson blank.

I'm sure they will be more accurate but my draw to the JP is the lighter weight and thermal dissappator, which I already have a spare of.

Just got my Bartlien 24 in 6.5T barrel in today. What free float handgards would you guys suggest.

Wow. That SD, with American Eagle.

Yeah this new lot I have is pretty damn good, the previous lot was about 50-60fps 20fps SD which is still on the good side IMO for factory blasting ammo. Both lots are sub 3/4 minute in my gun too. Only shot it to 500 yards but a few people who have shot it out to 1K+ have been getting a .400-.410 G1 BC.

Not sure which Valkyrie thread I should post this in but this one seems decent since it's talking about JP. This is an email I just got:

Dear JP Customer,

If you are receiving this email, it means you currently have a .224 Valkyrie barrel, upper assembly or rifle on order with us. We’re writing to provide you an update on our work with the .224. We’re also requesting your response regarding how to proceed with your order.

Since our initial production run, we’ve spent months testing every path conceivable with this round. We’ve learned quite a bit with one major observation. After thousands of dollars in R&D and countless man-hours, we’ve narrowed down the source of the accuracy issues to the available factory 90gr. and 95gr. Sierra Match King bullets. These bullets simply will not shoot with consistency across a production run of barrels.

In our testing, we’ve worked with some of the brightest minds in the industry, tweaking every variable of the equation through trial and error:

· Barrel length

· Chamber geometry

· Bullet jump

· Rifling twist rate and configuration

· Load development through a wide array of hand-loaded recipes

In the end, we produced a number of barrels that shot the 90gr. SMK well. However, we did not achieve enough consistency to qualify for a production solution that lives up to JP Supermatch™ standards.

With all that said, we must stress that many other match bullets in the same weight class did perform to our standard. This is still an exciting new cartridge with major potential, and there are many viable uses and loads for the .224 Valkyrie that we discovered. We hope you’ll take a look at the newly updated version of our Loading Document where we run down our findings and recommendations. We also have more informative media planned for the near future on this subject.

At this point, production has begun on a second run of barrels, available some time in late July/early August. Not all orders will be able to be filled on the first run of barrels, but we have a second run coming in immediately after the first and expected by October. Our focus is quality first and making sure we only ship the absolute best product to our customers. These new barrels will closely mirror our initial batch of production barrels with the SAMMI chamber:

· The 22” medium contour remains unchanged. This is an XL gas port position barrel, compatible with our .750 XL Thermal Dissipator and our .875 JPGS-10 gas block.

· The 20” medium contour is being phased out as it was ultimately redundant with the 22” medium.

· The 20” light contour is changing from an XL gas port to a rifle port. This was done to further reduce barrel weight. It will be compatible with our .650 Long Thermal Dissipator.

At this point, we want to finalize your order in whatever way you see fit. Let us know which of the following options you’d prefer:

1. Fill my order with the next available barrel of the length/contour originally ordered.

2. Change my order to either the 22” medium or 20” light.

3. Cancel my order.

Please respond to this email at your earliest opportunity, and as always, we’re happy to answer any questions you have.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I really wanted the JP barrel because I have a thermal dissappator for it already and like the lighter weight. But if people are getting fantastic results with craddock and CLE for the same price it's hard to pass up.

So do I go for accuracy and ability to shoot factory ammo? Or weight savings? I'm leaning towards the former.