• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My Kahr PM9 Review For Concealed Carry

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
Kahr PM9 Review
I Acquired a Kahr PM9 for concealed carry. First thing I have to say it is a much better improvement over the Ruger LC9 that I had. The reason I say it is a better improvement is because the trigger is smoother and shorter than the LC9, which really helped follow up shots. I didn’t have to concentrate as hard on the first shot as much either.

I put 150 rounds through the pistol. I had 5 failure to fires where the primer was hit, and the round did not go off. I contribute this to the ammo. I had a box of that cheap Tul-Ammo, and have learned that they occasionally have hard primers. The dents in the primers where deep. You can see the pics I posted here, http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...226#Post2875226
The Blazer, Federal, and Magtech +P ran fine. I have ordered some Federal HST for defense rounds, and I plan on testing them. I will post results and pictures when I do.

For such a small handgun it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. At 7 yards slow fire this gun will make one hole with all shots touching. I was able to keep everything in 5 inches at 25 yards shooting at a steady pace. Slow firing at 25 yards I averaged 3 inch groups. During rapid fire everything hit the target in vital areas of the chest (about a 12 inch spread). The reset on the trigger is a little longer than what I like, but not to bad considering this is such a small 9mm concealed carry piece.

I haven't shot a lot of double action only triggers, but this is the best one I have ever shot so far. This is a quality design, you can look inside the pistol and quickly tell it uses a John Browning design. Take down and cleaning is simple. No it doesn't have a safety like the LC9 I had, so you just have to use that safety between your ears, and keep your finger off the trigger. It came with a dot over bar sight, and I plan on adding 3 dot night sights. With an IWB holster you almost forget it is there, it conceals well. I prefer carrying it with the 6 round flush mag vs the 7 round with extension, as it is very controllable even without the extended mag.

Over all, so far I like it!

Re: My Kahr PM9 Review For Concealed Carry

Hey Silver, is that a new PM9?

I picked up a CW40 from kahr and hate it. I had it failure to feed 90 times in a row brand new. I sent it back and had it looked at and they said they polished the ramp and they did and shot 150 rounds and it had 3 ro 4 failure to feed and a couple failure to eject. I'm just not buying into this new polymer fade.

If you are going to depend on a kahr i'd make sure you put a few hundred more rounds down range. I'm going to the range soon to put another few hundred rounds in this gun and if it does not work it out then it's history. kahr does say it takes 200 rounds to break in. I don't know I think if I can find a kahr lover i'll let him/her take it and i'll buy another cz!

I also have a Kahr PM9. Shot hundreds of 9mm through it. No FTF or FTE. Runs great. Not an everyday shooter or plinker, but I can depend on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter 25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Silver, is that a new PM9?

I picked up a CW40 from kahr and hate it. I had it failure to feed 90 times in a row brand new. I sent it back and had it looked at and they said they polished the ramp and they did and shot 150 rounds and it had 3 ro 4 failure to feed and a couple failure to eject. I'm just not buying into this new polymer fade.

If you are going to depend on a kahr i'd make sure you put a few hundred more rounds down range. I'm going to the range soon to put another few hundred rounds in this gun and if it does not work it out then it's history. kahr does say it takes 200 rounds to break in. I don't know I think if I can find a kahr lover i'll let him/her take it and i'll buy another cz! </div></div>

Mine is a 2010 or 2011 model I think (the serial starts with ic86 so that indicates it was made at least after October 2010, though I purchased it used.

Kahr had some barrel recalls. Check this forum out. Kahr Serial Number History http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268364

Great pocket gun, and recoil is manageable. I like it when I can't conceal my TP9. For it's caliber and size, it's hard to find a better gun. "Thin is sexy".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great pocket gun, and recoil is manageable. I like it when I can't conceal my TP9. For it's caliber and size, it's hard to find a better gun. "Thin is sexy". </div></div>

I don't know about sexy, but thin sure does feel better. If I could get my custom Glock trigger feel and reset on a small thin gun like my PM9 it would be the perfect CCW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter 25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Silver, is that a new PM9?

If you are going to depend on a kahr i'd make sure you put a few hundred more rounds down range. I'm going to the range soon to put another few hundred rounds in this gun and if it does not work it out then it's history. kahr does say it takes 200 rounds to break in. I don't know I think if I can find a kahr lover i'll let him/her take it and i'll buy another cz! </div></div>

Sorry to hear it! I have a PM9 and have been absolutely tickled pink with it. It is incredibly easy to shoot well, handles +P and +P+ ammo great and almost seems to "magically" handle the recoil. I have never had any malfunction whatsoever with mine. I bought it used, but it looked damn near new. I've run about 500 rounds through it or so. It conceals well. I can't imagine a better trigger for a small CCW that is suitable for pocket carry. It is long and smooth, but not unreasonably heavy. However, you DO have to MEAN it for the gun to go off. It's a nice smooth, stack-free double action, what can I say?

Also, the velocity mine gets is outstanding! The 124gr Winchester PDX1 +P stuff goes 1190fps out of mine. That is approaching 400lbfts! And VERY controllable. I don't know how they did it.

My wife uses a PM9 for her CCW weapon.
No failures, but the magazine release button always gets depressed somehow in her purse. It's way to easy to push. Had a smith try and stiffen it up, but it didn't help much. THink it's time for a wheel gun for her.

I ran a PM9 off-duty for about a year before my agency changed policies and I was no longer allowed to carry it. The PM9 was a fantastic gun, but there were some weapon-specific quirks that, if you don't know about them, you'd think Kahr is junk.
The biggest issue is with cycling. The PM9 has a factory specified break-in period. All Kahrs do, in fact. For the PM9, Kahr recommends that you shoot at least 200rds out of the gun prior to carrying it or using it for practical purposes. In talking to people, I have seen that this number fluctuates between 150-300rds, depending on what ammo is shot. The more powerful the ammo, the easier the spring and gun breaks in. My PM9 had several stovepipe malfunctions in the first two range sessions. After that, it was golden. I shot about 200rds of practice American Eagle 115gr, then ran 50rds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. After that, the gun never malfunctioned again.

I currently carry my G27, but new policy made it possible for me to get another small pocket pistol. Getting a Kahr P380 this time.

I did a full polish job on my PM9- every trigger related part got a mirror polish- striker, sear, everything... also polished the feed ramp and breach face; smoothed and polished the extractor as well. Mine runs incredibly smooth and I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with it that was not caused by faulty ammunition. I have around 700rds through mine; had it about a year.

Worth noting- the PM9 is available with a manual safety and night sights, but I don't think these versions are as regularly stocked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a full polish job on my PM9- every trigger related part got a mirror polish- striker, sear, everything... also polished the feed ramp and breach face; smoothed and polished the extractor as well. Mine runs incredibly smooth and I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with it that was not caused by faulty ammunition. I have around 700rds through mine; had it about a year.

Worth noting- the PM9 is available with a manual safety and night sights, but I don't think these versions are as regularly stocked. </div></div>

In my opinion night sights should come standard on a carry gun.

I love mine have about fivehundred rounds down range and not one fail to feed carries like a dream and draws points and shoots great bang everytime