• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My kids are scared......

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    The unusually warm weather in the Northeast (Im not complaining Greta!) has a band of Coyotes active in the backyard.

They have been talking up a storm the last two nights.

Mom is driving my scaredy ass kids to school yesterday/today.

Daughter snapped this pic this morning.....

Image preview

Looks like a nice blonde.

Im not a hunter but the desire for shooting challenges really appeals to me on these guys.

The skyline of Boston is visible from my back porch.

I think even by Revolution times these guys had been eradicated in my area.

Im looking forward to the hand wringing to soon start from the people that walk their hand bag dogs in the 14 acres of conservation land behind my house.

I want them to know when it comes time to shooting these guys Im available. Illl even strangle one like they guy from just north of here in NH.

I just want a nice coyote rug for my daughters bedroom.

Vudoo + Suppressor. Head shot (may need meat scraps for bait to get close enough).

Tan the hide yourself.

oh yeah, put it in a trashbag with flea powder before cleaning. They are usually covered.....

Do this, unless you want to do all that “follow the rules” stuff like @1J04 with his destructive squirrels......
    while I am all for shooting and eating squirrels, his explanation of why do it that way made a lot of sense. I reckon you are in a similar boat.
    Plus, it feels good to do the right thing. And letting a coyote drive the libs crazy is probably a lot of fun!

The unusually warm weather in the Northeast (Im not complaining Greta!) has a band of Coyotes active in the backyard.

They have been talking up a storm the last two nights.

Mom is driving my scaredy ass kids to school yesterday/today.

Daughter snapped this pic this morning.....

Image preview

Looks like a nice blonde.

Im not a hunter but the desire for shooting challenges really appeals to me on these guys.

The skyline of Boston is visible from my back porch.

Im looking forward to the hand wringing to soon start from the people that walk their hand bag dogs in the 14 acres of conservation land behind my house.

I want them to know when it comes time to shooting these guys Im available. Illl even strangle one like they guy from just north of here in NH.

I just want a nice coyote rug for my daughters bedroom.
    From what I've gathered from your AO the 3 SSS are in order.
    I'd bet they'll want a live trap before ever considering a shooting.
    Shoot, shovel and shut up.

R

From what I've gathered from your AO the 3 SSS are in order.
    I'd bet they'll want a live trap before ever considering a shooting.
    Shoot, shovel and shut up.

R

Everyone around me is a "true believer" in all facets of the liberal religion.

Last time yotes were out and about guy across the street posited to me "Global warming" was the cause.

I kind of aggressively informed him the campaign over the last 40 years to destroy the hunting culture in MA has allowed the population to boom.

The final "bone" thrown to their population was the ending of "cruel traps" back in the 90s. This eliminated the ability of the old men that used to sell the pelts to do their thing and the population has recovered.

Nice thing about their return is that people are starting to think they need a gun for protection and people are hunting them.

I think through some quirk in the law coyotes are one of the few things hunted that you can actually shoot with a rifle most other hunting being limited to shot gun or bow/black powder season.

Even the most die hard liberal will shift their beliefs when they see a coyote flossing with the leash that used to hold their beloved lap dog.

Well, you could accidentally drop some chicken liver in Hansel and Gretel thing to a pile in another location. Thereby relocation of the problem. You will have to shorten the trailer to the bait a time or two dozen. But eventually they will go straight to the prize.

Or. Crossbow. Semi quiet and takes little movement. Movement is your enemy when it comes to close up coyotes.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Archery could be the answer.
    Pin them to the ground if so.
    If they show up in the backyard looking like a pin cushion
    they'll be hell to pay for the bow hunters.

R

Reactions: 1J04
    Question. Does someone have animals that they store feed for in a shed or something that is bringing in rats? Stop the yotes food source

My AO it would be an "I feared for my life" situation.

The invest would be as great, perhaps greater, than if it was a two legged predator.

My kids are in the yard pretty often. Ive told them to start thinking about what to do and have a plan if confronted - running is not a plan or a good option

I don't know if they listen to me but Ive told them unless the animal looks sick there is little danger. If it does look sick though, there is real danger and distance/shelter should be sought.

If Im around and there are any signs of sickness Ive got a plan and it pretty much gets played by "big sky country" rules.

Question. Does someone have animals that they store feed for in a shed or something that is bringing in rats? Stop the yotes food source

Nah,

We live in a liberal utopia.

"Hunters bad", "Oh aren't the rabbits cute", "Oh my fucking God the Coyotes got my baby".

Ive lived in same house for over 40 years.

When I was real young I remember on occasion flushing a pheasant.

About early 80s squirrels were the only wildlife.

Twenty years ago raptors started showing up in the skies. Never saw a hawk as a kid.

Fifteen years or so ago rabbits started coming around. I look out on the lawn now in the evening there will be 5-6 rabbits nibbling grass. At night I turn the back light on little white cotton tails are seen bouncing everywhere.

5-7 years ago turkeys became prevalent.

7-8 years ago we had a fox, than a fat ground hog moved in under the shed.

8 or so years ago neighbor had a deer on her front lawn.

4-5 years ago started hearing coyotes.

Last year a black bear was tranquilized walking through a neighborhood a mile away.

which brings us to today - yotes behind the house probably loving the rabbit buffet.

Could be worse.........people on the Cape decided that the Gray seals were worth saving. Now you are best to write a will before going in the water greater than waist deep.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    Spent some time in Massachusetts.... Isn't that where they hijacked airplanes using a box cutter? Did they ever outlaw box cutters?

Hobo

I use a FoxPro with a wounded rabbit call running. You can just download a sound and use a bluetooth speaker though. Like ringing the dinner bell. They are so thin skinned any rifle will work so whatever suppresses best you own. NVGs help.

Reactions: 1J04 and MarinePMI
    Excuse to get the blow dart gun you’ve always wanted.

I’ve lived in a situation like this. Was a suburban neighborhood backed up to a preserve. To avoid doing something I wasnt supposed to, I might exaggerate the frequency and boldness of the yotes visits to get animal control to do something about it.

Im digging the presence.

Maybe my wife will let me buy the kids his/her Randalls or allow me to issue out the KaBars.

Ive got my popcorn popping for the angst to come.

The grade school is about two blocks away and though my kids are no longer in there Im sure they have issued some sort of PSA.

and all the suppressor suggestions - no, no in MA.

Keep eating popcorn and let it be “someone” else’s problem.................until it’s not.

Too much potential downside in being proactive. Let them drag off a bunch of libs little fifi’s and watch the catterwolling start. Let the toll tenderize public sentiment for a while, otherwise known as letting them stew in their own juices.

If you ccw, walk out there, sit down with a sandwich, and let them take a bite out your ass. Then cap em or shove the Kbar through their skull.

Rabies shots dont hurt much. :ROFLMAO:

Tough situation you have. Here in Texas where I live coyotes are shoot on site. That said they're most active at night. When I had sheep I had 5 large guard dogs, 4 Great Pyrenees ad 1 Anatolian Pyrenees mix, they did their job and I didn't have to worry about the coyotes. I still have two of the dogs left after giving some away to help others who are raising sheep. Coyotes don't come around, but the dogs need to stay outside and work to keep that from happening.

Your liberal utopia may judge you leaving working dogs outside. Also, they need land to roam and mark their territory, they do not do well chained up or fenced in. Get a crossbow and shoot them when they come onto your property. I am not sure of your laws there, but I would hesitate to use a firearm with liberal neighbors around. They will probably report you to the police even if you're using a crossbow and protecting your own property.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: QuickNDirty
    You wouldn't happen to have a 300 BLK or one of the Whisper rounds around with a suppressor, would you?

Get a pair of donkeys for the back yard. Kids love donkeys. Yotes hate/fear donkeys. When neighbors complain, you can explain how having donkeys in your back yard is the "natural" solution to yotes with the side benefit of producing natural compost for the flower beds.

BTW, yotes are an invasive species in the east. I don't believe they were ever in the east until recently.

Tough situation you have. Here in Texas where I live coyotes are shoot on site. That said they're most active at night. When I had sheep I had 5 large guard dogs, 4 Great Pyrenees ad 1 Anatolian Pyrenees mix, they did their job and I didn't have to worry about the coyotes. I still have two of the dogs left after giving some away to help others who are raising sheep. Coyotes don't come around, but the dogs need to stay outside and work to keep that from happening.

Your liberal utopia may judge you leaving working dogs outside. Also, they need land to roam and mark their territory, they do not do well chained up of fenced in. Get a crossbow and shoot them when they come onto your property. I am not sure of your laws there, but I would hesitate to use a firearm with liberal neighbors around. They will probably report you to the police even if you're using a crossbow and protecting your own property.

A certain PD around here routinely employs officers with NV and suppressed rifles to keep them under control without the do-gooders getting all butthurt about the population management of coyotes.

BTW, yotes are an invasive species in the east. I don't believe they were ever in the east until recently.

I grew up in the NE and recall when they made a comeback in the early 90s where I was. At the time we were told they had been eradicated a long time before but came back. I know we had a boom bust cycle of rabbit/fox populations following eachother up/down in a 10ish year cycle. Always wondered if the yotes would end up on it too.

Anybody used a .17 or .22 springer air rifle on them? I have a Ruger that has like a 1200 fps punch. Should work for a heaad shot, no?

Reactions: MarinePMI
    You could also get yourselves some new pet dogs, a nice little group of 3 to 4 of them that like killing.

Reactions: 308pirate
    air rifles may be able to help you it may say rifle in the name but its not classified as a gun they are pretty quiet way quieter than a real gun and well in my neighborhood not illegal to shoot and will kill a deer let alone a little dog . traps come in a lot of different shapes and sizes and a lot of them would be pretty hard to prove who put them there . An air compressor a metal tube and something for a dart ten penny nail make a neat blow gun , good luck how ever you deal with that pesky problem if prisioners in jail can get creative in making weapons you with a hard wear store or available wallmat should make be able to come up with something creative .

Last edited:
    Anybody used a .17 or .22 springer air rifle on them? I have a Ruger that has like a 1200 fps punch. Should work for a heaad shot, no?

Doubtful. I got a groundhog with a Diana 52 in .22(pellet) - headshot, a bit lucky . 'yotes are pretty coy and aren't likely to hang around if they see something suspicious. A.22lr from back in the room wouldn't arouse suspicion (especially when windows are closed in the winter), but a non-fatal miss might cause it to flail around - arousing suspicion.

You need to ask yourself why you stay in a state that doesn't allow cans. (rhetorical)

A Dr. Pepper bottle wrapped in painters tape could work, theoretically. BTW, I heard this from a friend that heard it from somebody who's uncle's ex-wife met once...

You guys are too invested in the kill.

As long as my family isn't threatened by Wile E. Im looking forward to the entertainment.

We have one of those busy body neighborhood message boards. I think I just shredded the link to join it the other day.

I need to get on there and see what kind of angst this is causing.

I heard that chunks of sponge soaked in bacon grease does wonders for them. Just a rumor i heard though

Coyotes and origins.

The spread of Coyotes from their original Southwestern range is believed to be a consequence of deforestation by humans.

Greg

...And PS, "You'll shoot your window out, Kid...!"

• Haha
    Reactions: Jscb1b
    Coyotes and origins.

The spread of Coyotes from their original Southwestern range is believed to be a consequence of deforestation by humans.

Greg

There are more forests in the northeast right now by at least 1000 percent.

You cant walk a patch of wood out this way tha doesn't have stone walls representing the fact they were once fields.

Only other time I saw coyotes was 29 Palms. You would go out at night to piss on the side of the hut and reflective eyes would be looking at your junk.

Didn't see many trees in 29 Palms.

Not a tree anywhere in sight...

See the source image

Well you could steal a play from the leftists.

Instead of a fake hate crime, send your kids away for a few days and get a bait dog. Wait for the Coyotes to kill it or take a few bites, then do a tear filled interview on the news, saying "my dad was a hunter, he would have known what to do" and "I'm just glad my kids were visiting their grandmother".

If 4-5 people did that, the local government couldn't just sit on their hands.

Well you could steal a play from the leftists.

Instead of a fake hate crime, send your kids away for a few days and get a bait dog. Wait for the Coyotes to kill it or take a few bites, then do a tear filled interview on the news, saying "my dad was a hunter, he would have known what to do" and "I'm just glad my kids were visiting their grandmother".

If 4-5 people did that, the local government couldn't just sit on their hands.

I fear the local govt doing "something" more than I fear coyotes.

Matter of fact I don't fear the coyotes.

Last time we had one behind the house I ran after it to freak my kids out. It was gone quicker than Democrat dignity.

Ive visualized in my mind picking up one of those 80 pound balls of fury, keeping my hands around its neck and kneeling on its rib cage to turn its lungs into jelly.......

or Id just pull out a .38 or .45 whichever I happen to carry and take reasonable action against a threat.

but right now Im going to enjoy Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    It's not so much that coyotes in the NE had been eradicated by the late 1700s, as it is that the range of the coyote was restricted to the Southwest and Plains until agricultural practices (and elimination of other large predators) allowed them to expand their range.

"The Dingo (coyote) ate my baby" could be heard from the liberal soccer mommy as she ran frantically down the street.