• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My last AR15 build ...700 yards with a 5.56

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Just wanted the Hides opinion on my build list choices for a high precision upper to reach out to 700y with regularity. Mostly small diameter steel and paper for starters. Probably use it for long range varmint if possible. Been bouncing around the thought of a semi auto 308 for a while , but before I venture in that direction I want to see how far the 223/5.56 can be pushed providing I'm on my game.

That being said, I'm open to suggestions on what parts you think will do it. Would rather build one than spend the extra coin on Noveske or JP -- I have several of Johns products , just want this to be all me.

Considering the following :

WOA 20" SDM SS Wylde in 1/7 White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) Barrel | 1 in 7 Twist

Mega MKM Extended Rifle Length keymod upper https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4035

JP Full Mass BCG JP Rifles

Surefire MB556K SureFire MB556K Muzzle Brake / Suppressor Adapter

Going to be using an A2 Buffer assembly in a Magpul PRS . The trigger is an SSA-E. The scope will eventually be a NF BEAST when the MIL/MIL units become available.

As for ammo -- factory Black Hills 77 or 69 5.56 depending on what she prefers.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

TP...

It will be heavy, that is for sure. My build with a WOA 18" SPR barrel weighs 10 lbs. 13 oz. and my stock and optic (MOE, Leupold MK 6 3-18, and ADM Recon mount) are all lighter than what you will be running.

I got this from Palmetto State Armory on sale for $550:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-20-chf-cl-5-56-1-7-ssk-15-upper-without-bcg-or-ch.html OR
PSA SS15G2 CHF 20" 5.56mm 1:7 Rifle Length A2 Profile - Without BCG or Charging Handle
(stainless steel OOS)
PSA SS15G2 SS CHF 20'' 5.56mm 1:7 Rifle Length Heavy Profile - Without BCG or Charging Handle

I put it on a PSA lower with Geiselle SSA-E trigger, VLTOR A5 buffer and spring kit / EMOD stock, PSA BCG ($90) -- soon to be replaced with a WMD NiB BCG, Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mil-dot scope with Trijicon 1-piece mount.

It is crazy accurate and I plink 600 yard steel all day long with cheap 55 grain factory. With 77 grain reloads it is scary accurate, and is why I am selling my LWRC M6A2, my MEGA Monolithic / WOA build, and even thinking about selling my Noveske Afghan.

The rifle is VERY light for what it is. PSA stuff is HIGH QUALITY and CHEAP! In my experience anyway :)

Last edited:
You don't need a muzzle break for 5.56 or .223. Unless you're competing at the top echelons of 3-Gun....even then, just practice reloading your shotgun....

You don't need a muzzle break for 5.56 or .223. Unless you're competing at the top echelons of 3-Gun....even then, just practice reloading your shotgun....
Hey thanks for the replies .... As far as weight is concerned, I plan on using this for prone and off the bench. So weight is not an issue. This is definitely NOT for 3 Gun. I have a dedicated shooter for that. Also agree that a muzzle break for this bitch may not be necessary.

TP....

Last edited:
I have a very similar build to what you are planning. I used a Rainier Arms Ultramatch 20" SDM fluted SS 223 wylde barrel in a Vltor VIS-3, Rainier match BCG, and a regular old A2 flash hider. I have yet to shoot it at any long range, so I can't report on accuracy. I can tell you that it's not that heavy (for a heavy profile 20"). There is almost no felt recoil, even with just the A2 flash hider. I also plan to target shoot around 600-700yds with this rifle, hopefully I'll be able to get it out there next month. I'll be using 75gn Hornadys to start with.