• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My Latest Filework

liontribe

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
i was inspired by the amazing work done by some knife makers with just simple files. i decided to do a bit of file work myself. this was a 12" Nicholson mill bastard file last friday. i gave it a make-over, you might say. really a fun project.

liontribe

FileKnife002.jpg

FileKnife005.jpg

Re: My Latest Filework

Great work. Will you have it heat treated to make it less brittle? What finish did you use?

Excellently done. Friend of mine made a hunting for his dad as a metal shop project in high school. He had special permission.

I'd like to know how you wrapped the handle and how you shaped it. I'm intrigued. Dad's file drawer is full of dull files. lol

thanks for the good comments. i completely annealed the file to make it nice and soft. easier to grind and no worries about chipping or breaking. after i had it rough ground, i did the heat treat and temper. i do my final grinding and polishing carefully. don't want to get it hot at this point. the wrap is a modified version of the traditional japanese sword wrapping technique. mine has a more organic flow to it. i like the wrinkles and drape of this wrap. the finish is an acid etched pattern that i use quite a bit. i usually work with thick steel stock and this was was the opposite. i wanted to make it as sleek and slim as possible. this was an old file that a buddy of mine came across. we are guessing 50 years old or more. it was under the flooring of an old barn on his property. he dug it up when he was tearing the old building down.

liontribe

That thing looks great! Do you think you could PM me or fill me in on your annealing process Ive been wanting to do this for a while. Ive made a couple of blades from different scrap metal arounf the shop but havent tried a file yet. I have a couiple broken ones thatd make great little knives.