• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Latest M40 rendition

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
Just thought I would post a few pics of my latest project I did last week out of boredom. Have had a terminal mini boner for the M40's since the early 70's. Just because of their 'simplicity' in being an effective tool without all the bells, whistles, and chrome of most modern day rifles. Have had stocks, some barrel blanks and a couple of 6 digit receivers for many years but financial issues, health and other things have just kept me on different paths. Took a 40-X 22RF barreled receiver a bit over a year ago and made it up a bit. Haven't had the nerve to cut barrel to 24" as it shoots pretty descent as is. Have an XR with a 24" factory tube near identical to the Rem Varmint so may decide to redo it with that? Have plans of a rimfire, 223, 22-250?, 243, 260 and 308 for sure if I ever have the funds or live long enough! Don't know why I am doing it or what will happen to them in the future but can't seem to let it go.

Anyway here are a few pics of the 223 I did last week. Receiver is a 6 digit '64 model that was originally a 222mag and I almost made it that again but thought the 223 would be a bit more 'practical'. Killed over 100 fox with this receiver as a 222Mag and when they got mange in the mid 90's I redid it to a 223AI for a couple of reasons and shot probably close to 100 coyotes with it before putting that barrel on a stainless receiver. Barrel is a Border cut rifled 14 twist 6 groove. Bought it and an 8tw 6mm both of which were intended for a rail gun and were 1.375" diameter. Recontoured it on my Craftsman lathe to Rem Varmint contour before I rebuilt it years back. Cut at 24". Stock is aluminum pillar and glass bedded and stock finish is a 100% Tung Oil/mineral spirit mix. Need to figure out what type of metal finish I want to use and find money to pay for it yet. Haven't even broken the 'cherry' on it yet.
smile.gif
Not an 'exact' copy of the M40 I know. Don't know if I want to put 'correct' sling loops on it yet? Thought I would post a pic of what I have done so far with my 'obsession'
P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

Thanks,
Respectfully,
Dennis