• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My latest truck modifications.....

Super Bee 950

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Austin Texas
www.bikesolutionsllc.com
I use my truck for business, so that means whenever I get a new one, I spend a few weeks making it into what I need. Not pictured are the 3 FM radios I have installed. One MotoTrbo FM radio that I am testing for work, One Kenwood 710 Ham Radio, and one Icom Dstar radio. Antenna mounting is tomorrows problem....

First thing was the Diamond Back 270 bed cover. It will hold 400 pounds on top, and its covered in Rhino Liner. This thing is great!
5560232070_cae198c4d7_z.jpg

5560232534_600444e24a_z.jpg

I got the cover to hide the 91 gallon fuel tank I have in the bed. Since I wanted everything under the cover, theat meant 3 evenings of plumbing, wiring, and mounting. The electrical box has a switch that allows me to cut power to the pump.
5551872076_882e223dcb_z.jpg

5551288839_ccfcb82064_z.jpg

Today was the GPS/Video upgrade. The GPS lockout crap just had to go, and while I was in there, why not integrate the FLIR into the NAV display ...
smile.gif

I learned how to take my truck a part on You Tube..
5559669461_f9052c2ffa_z.jpg

5559667443_5a015fb322_z.jpg

Re: My latest truck modifications.....

Sweet ride! Who did the Rhino Liner? I've been searching for someone to Rhino Line my rear bumper for a long time with no results.

John, I'll be in Austin for week next month. Thanks for letting me borrow your Bat Truck while I'm at DPS.

Swarick.
Its a 3/4 ton 4X4 crew cab with the 6.7 Cummins.

USG. I know of several places that will spray anything you bring them. Try Custom Truck Outfitters at 13000 North Highway 183.

CKA. You can use the truck if you bring it back full of fuel. That should only cost you around $450.00
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use my truck for business, so that means whenever I get a new one, I spend a few weeks making it into what I need. Not pictured are the 3 FM radios I have installed. One MotoTrbo FM radio that I am testing for work, One Kenwood 710 Ham Radio, and one Icom Dstar radio. Antenna mounting is tomorrows problem....

First thing was the Diamond Back 270 bed cover. It will hold 400 pounds on top, and its covered in Rhino Liner. This thing is great!
5560232070_cae198c4d7_z.jpg

5560232534_600444e24a_z.jpg

I got the cover to hide the 91 gallon fuel tank I have in the bed. Since I wanted everything under the cover, theat meant 3 evenings of plumbing, wiring, and mounting. The electrical box has a switch that allows me to cut power to the pump.
5551872076_882e223dcb_z.jpg

5551288839_ccfcb82064_z.jpg

Today was the GPS/Video upgrade. The GPS lockout crap just had to go, and while I was in there, why not integrate the FLIR into the NAV display ...
smile.gif

I learned how to take my truck a part on You Tube..
5559669461_f9052c2ffa_z.jpg

5559667443_5a015fb322_z.jpg

</div></div>

Nice write up. I have a 2005 MB E320 BluTec deisel. What would a Flir unit cost for that? thanks, Howard

Nice setup. Get four way flir and you have a rad pig and coyote hunting rig.

The unit I installed in the truck has 4 video inputs, so thats possible. Its designed to have the side cameras come on when you use the turn signals, and display that on the screen.

Here is a link to the unit I installed.
http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR550.htm

Goldie. FLIR automotive kits run around $3500.00 Its complete with the screen, wiring, camera etc... I mounted the camera to my grill guard.
5564378982_4c0c257b4b_z.jpg

I forgot the best thing I have done to the truck. I pull a trailer cross country, so I installed Timbren suspension bushings to help with the heavy tounge weight, and fuel load. These are rated for 6000 pounds, and bolt in place of the factory bump stops under the bed. If you have ever pulled a heavy trailer, you know it has a way of taking the truck for a ride at times. With these, it was like the trailer wasnt there. I will never tow again without these!
5564336998_9ccbfa3cb3_z.jpg

5564336542_d75ef7d107_z.jpg

Loaded down with the trailer and fuel, it still sits level. You have enough give in the bushings that the ride is still pretty good
5494766716_ddb7023fe8_z.jpg

Those trailer bushing are interesting. I wonder if they offer them for a SUV. I drive a 6.2L Chevy Tahoe and tow a pretty heavy enclosed trailer. What is the ride like without the trailer? I think the Tahoe has the assisted air suspension in the rear but its not doing much with 6,000 pounds of trailer and cargo.

KY.
Go to Etrailer.com to see if they make one for your vehicle. They are spaced so without the trailer, they are not touching the axle. That way you have the stock ride unloaded. I have about an inch of suspension travel before they make contact.

Oldsmobiler
Yes I did, Airbags cost a couple hundred bucks more. These are good enough....

I was just wondering since I've never seen those before. How do you like the setup? Does it bounce?

So if your cruising along with no trailer.... and the bump stops make contact. How does that feel as your going down the road?

I ask because I think these would really help out my Chevy Trailblazer. Its my company ride and I often tow an open trailer with my UTV, portable light plants for night work, tool trailers, and so on. Not getting really heavy but enough to sit the back end down to make the drive suck! its just a V6 but im trying to help it out as much as I can. The cold air intake is helping it.

KY.
The truck has a pretty stiff suspension from the factory, so I dont notice it much when it hits the bushings. I notice it more when it doesnt sag under a load. I usually run with 20-40 gallons of fuel in the aux tank, and 35 in the main tank, so its always touching the bushings, or close to it.

On a suspension with more "give" you might notice it more, but not on a truck. With the truck fully loaded, I can jump on the trailer tongue and the bushings still have some "give" like a heavy duty spring.

In your example, I would say it would feel like a heavy spring. Not harsh, but firm. With the suspension being as high as it is on my truck, I installed 1 inch spacers that came with the kit to bring it closer to the axle. You might not need these.

Cam
Thanks. Its still a work in progress. I have 3 antennas to mount somewhere....