• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My Lauer Shake 'N Spray Duracoat experience

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I saw this on Lauer's site and it was right in my wheelhouse. I don't trust myself to properly set up an airbrush nor do I want to mess with all the mechanics of it. The price was right so I gave it a go. I sprayed two handgun frames and some furniture for an LAR308.

It arrived today with all of the components for prepping and spraying. Included in the package (for those too lazy to go check their website) is:

1 can of aerosol cleaner/degreaser
1 piece of a steel wool looking material used for roughing up
1 bottle of Duracoat (can't remember the size but it says it will coat 1-2 rifles)
1 bottle of hardener
1 aerosol can for application
1 glass jar that holds the liquid and attaches to the aerosol can
1 plastic tube to draw liquid

The cleaner/degreaser worked very well. I had already cleaned everything with brake cleaner prior but figured I might as well use that too. It had an even and powerful spray that blasts dirt and junk off the metal and dried very evenly and quickly.

The pad they give you for roughing up the metal/plastic/wood works well but it's not meant to take abuse. After using it on a quad rail it was pretty chewed up but still did the job. It was also a little on the smaller side.

After that everything was ready to go. The instructions for setup are so easy a caveman could do it. Shake the Duracoat for 3 minutes and pour it in the glass jar. Add the hardener. Cap the jar and shake for another minute. Attach the tube to the bottom of the aerosol can and thread the jar filled with freshly mixed Duracoat. Spray. Simple.

The first coat went on a little thick. This is definitely where an airbrush offers a distinct advantage. I had 2 small runs that I had to clean up and re-spray. Once you get a feel for the can it becomes a little easier. Second, third and fourth coats went on without any drips/runs/etc. Just gotta be careful.

Another downside is that the can isn't mean to be turned more than 45*. Not only will it not spray, it will leak EVERYWHERE. I had read that in the literature but once I got goin it didn't even cross my mind until it was too late. I spent the second half of the process prying my fingers from the can (latex gloves FTW).

After the fourth coat I gave everything a once-over to make sure I didn't miss any and left it to dry.

This was my first experience with anything other than Krylon so I can't offer an expert opinion, however, I'm very happy with the way it went. It coated everything evenly and smoothly and looks better overall than Krylon. Time will tell if it holds up to any abuse. Gonna give it a few days before I move anything and probably won't assemble for about a week just to be safe.

I used Lauer's Magpul Flat Dark Earth. It went on a little light but as it dried it darkened up nicely. I used a set of their BUIS to compare color and it's spot on. Not sure if that will change as it cures.

So bottom line is if you want to experiment with Duracoat without investing in an airbrush I think this is a solid alternative. Plus you can't beat the price. $29.99 and they have an incredible selection of colors.

I'll take some photos once everything is ready to be handled and give an update on how it turns out. Just wanted to share my experience with this system.

Re: My Lauer Shake 'N Spray Duracoat experience

I have used the kit also.... couldn't be happier considering the price.