• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My letter to the DNR in AL

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
Hey guys, this is a letter I am sending to the DNR here to try and get suprressors legal to use for hunting. Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations as for stuff to include or omit? I have not sent this yet, it's just a rough draft per se.
Thanks.

Dear Gentlemen;

My name is Travis , and I am writing you in reference to a particular game law, more specifically :

"220-2-.02-.196ER Legal Arms, Ammunition, and Methods for Hunting
(1)
GENERAL PROHIBITIONS:
(e) It shall be unlawful to possess fully automatic firearms or silenced firearms while hunting any species of wildlife."

It is not so much the fully automatic firearms section I am concerned about, as I don't see why anyone would need to hunt game with any weapon of that type. My main concern is the prohibited use of suppressors, (commonly known as silencers) for hunting. I understand that not everyone in the state of Alabama has access to or can afford a suppressor, but for the ones that do, it is a great tool and not only is it beneficial for health/safety of the shooter, it can also be beneficial to the wildlife. I am interested on the reasons why suppressors are not allowed in conjunction with the proper caliber and ammunition for taking big game animals. I personally believe that the advantages of using suppressors on legal arms outweighs the disadvantages.

I know several other states allow the use of suppressors in the taking of game and non-game animals. My main argument is the fact that utilizing a suppressor can protect the shooter's hearing. Repeated use of a large caliber rifle, such as those commonly used to take big game animals, without using hearing protection or a suppressor can and does damage your hearing. So why not just wear ear muffs or some other type of hearing protection? Well, as you may know, sometimes you don't have the luxury of time like you do at the shooting range and split seconds count. Instead of having to fumble with ear muffs or ear plugs, if you have a suppressor attached to your firearm, you can safely, confidently and accurately make a clean, ethical shot on an animal.

Also, suppressors can be beneficial to the wildlife as well as other hunters/non-hunters in the area, since there is not a loud report which can startle the wildlife or cause them to panic, which is not beneficial to an animal physiologically. Also, if there are people in an area, such as a state park where hunting is allowed, the visitors/campers won't be as alarmed if there wasn't a large number of loud gunshots where they may be hiking or camping. Furthermore, youth hunters are sometimes afraid of the loud report of a rifle, as well as the recoil, which can cause them to flinch and make a poorly placed shot on an animal, either wounding it or causing it to go a great distance before finally expiring. It is my experience with suppressors, that not only do they reduce the noise and report of a rifle, but they also help in decreasing the felt recoil as well.

I am looking forward to your responses and for the reason why suppressors are not allowed for the use of hunting in Alabama. As long as they are legally owned and the owner has the proper paperwork, I so not see a problem with using a suppressor for hunting.

Thank your for your time and consideration in this matter, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

ME

Re: My letter to the DNR in AL

I'd change the silencer note (commonly known as silencers) to (incorrectly referred to as silencers, as there is nothing silent about them) or something like that.

Good Luck with it,
Breeze

Yea I am with Breeze, other than that it looks good!!

I wanted to put something about how there is the misconception of hollywood silencers making a firearm sound like a popcorn fart, but didnt want to come off as an ass. Alright, Ill make that correction and send it off. Thanks for the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As long as they are legally owned and the owner has the proper paperwork, I so not see a problem with using a suppressor for hunting.

</div></div>

In addition to what others noted, change so to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As long as they are legally owned and the owner has the proper paperwork, I so not see a problem with using a suppressor for hunting.

</div></div>

In addition to what others noted, change so to do.

</div></div>
Yeah I caught that when I was proofreading lol. Spell checker doesn't catch grammar I guess.

Omit this line,

It is not so much the fully automatic firearms section I am concerned about, as I don't see why anyone would need to hunt game with any weapon of that type

Since when do we have to "need" something. That phrase plays no part in your argument and has no relevance in this matter. Speculating on its validity does nothing for you. Reword it so you are specifically addressing silenced firearms. I am writing to you regarding said prohibitions above, specifically, the restriction of supressors on hunting firearms. Yada yada.

Also, you could strengthen your argument greatly in instances like. I know several other states allow supressorsblah blah. Name those states, provide examples. Some f and game employee isnt just going to take your word on it.

If you have to say what your main argument is, your not writing it clearly enough. You should never have to say "my main argument." Talk about reasons, use the word primarily but never say my main argument is, its weak.

Where you say it is my experience that supressors cut out noise/recoil, chop that out. State it as fact, because it is. Take as much of you out of the letter as you can, make it so its a logical argument not joe bloe things silencers are good and wants to hunt with them.

Dont take this negatively, I applaud what your doing, but you have to make it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd change the silencer note (commonly known as silencers) to (incorrectly referred to as silencers, as there is nothing silent about them) or something like that.

Good Luck with it,
Breeze </div></div>

The legal term is "silencer." Using another word just adds confusion when writing to a public official.

I like the letter but GOOD LUCK! I know multiple guys that sit on the Conservation Advisory Board and they could care less about this issue. We can't even manage our deer/seasons the right way, much less add a tool that could be beneficial...

I hope you get a response.

Make sure to send it to the Montgomery office and put it to the attention of Corky Pugh or Barnett Lawley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd change the silencer note (commonly known as silencers) to (incorrectly referred to as silencers, as there is nothing silent about them) or something like that.

Good Luck with it,
Breeze </div></div>

The legal term is "silencer." Using another word just adds confusion when writing to a public official.</div></div>

Yassir, you are correct. Sorry TLong, I boof'd that one. ATF-clearly calls them silencers.

Thanks for the responses guys. NightHunter, I got those two covered, plus some. I addressed it to Corky Pugh, Barnett Lawley, and each regional director over enforcement and over wildlife. Hopefully someone will get it.

Wow I have been pondering the same thing as what it would take to change the law about this. Our friends in Mississippi can hunt without rattling their brains out we should be able too.

Well let me know if I can help in any way.

H.D.

TLong

If you do not get a response, the CAB meetings are an open forum and you could go to one of them and pose the question so it is filed on the record as well.

Well, I got a response back today from Mr. Mark Rouleau, Assistant Chief Law Enforcement. Basically his response was if you want to bring it up at the CAB meeting Feb. 4th at 0900 at the Capitol. So, if anyone here wants to go and address this then, by all means please do. I cannot go that day due to work, but the CAB meets 3 times a year.

thats a good letter. I'm sure alabama will legalize them for hunting in about 20 years. thats usually the amount of time it takes them to catch up to everybody else.