• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My Leupold experience.

Daps!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
Lacey, WA
I called Leupold yesterday and explained that I wanted to purchase a scope through their military program. I spoke to Steven Digregorio of their tactical division and we discussed several different scopes and the available options. He was very thorough and knowledgable and quite user friendly. I explained that I have the Magpul Dynamics precision rifle course coming up next week and I was in a bit of a time crunch. He suggested that since they had my scope in stock and I lived close by that I take the trip down to Beaverton and pick it up direct, it would also save me a little money to do so. I asked when would be a good time and he replied that he would have the scope the next day. 24 hours from order to pick up, I'm all about it. So I stole the wifes car ( way better gas milage than my jeep) and drove down. I called Steven on the way down and confirmed my scope was there. He told me it was, and to just check in at the front desk and he would meet me there. So after I arrived at the factory I checked in with the receptionist ( who was smoking hot by the way) and the security desk gave me a visitors badge. Steven came out to meet me with my scope, I thanked him for being so helpful and we started talking about a variety of subjects Including the hide and the bashing that they've taken recently. He mentioned the "care package" that he sent to lowlight for T&E. I joked that all I ever get in my care packages is beef jerky and baby wipes. He then asked me if I wanted to see some of their newer optics. I was very suprised as I thought I would just be picking up my scope. He then took me back and showed me the HAMR, the CQBSS, and the PSR scope for the Army. I got to fondle and drool over them and we talked for a while about all of them it was a really cool experience. He even threw in some swag. I left feeling really impressed with both Steven and Leupold as a whole. The fact that I can drive down to their headquarters here in the USA and deal with American workers working at a family owned company means a lot to me. I was treated first class the entire time I was down there. I'm not a big shot or someone who is buying a crap ton of scopes or anything. I'm just another soldier but I was treated like a VIP. the fact that they offer such a great deal to the military members says a lot about their company as well. If you're in the military I highly encourage you to give Leupold a call, there is no way you are going to get a better optic for the price you will pay. Again in the grand scheme of things I don't buy a lot of scopes but after the way I was treated today someone is going to have to do something pretty stinking spectacular to get me to look elsewhere for my next optic.

Re: My Leupold experience.

Thats awsome! Looking at trying one with M5 knobs for my next optic the ProMotive deal is just too good to not use.

May have to take a 48hr and check out Loopy and Gerber in one trip down.

Glad to know that you had a good experience with Leupold. I have always found the people there to be nice and very helpful. I still think their product are over priced for what you get but I do respect the company for what they are.

it just puts my mind at ease knowing that there's a smoking hot receptionist.

so what did you think of the PSR?

Great story and thanks for your service. If you go down there again be sure to bring your camera.....smokin hot receptionist pics don't take themselves!
laugh.gif

Man, thank you for sharing your experience over there. I'm glad to hear about the work they are doing over there. I used to shoot Leupold scopes on my deer hunting rifle and LR rifle but moved away from them once I started shooting matches.

Reading many of the Forum comments, there seems to be much mixed feelings about Leupold as a whole in recent years. Personally, I feel that they are a better company than ever... in products, in quality and customer support. We deal with them on an almost daily basis and for any scope that I plan to keep for the rest of my life, it will have the Leupold name on it!

George P.

Sir, thank you for your service.

Your experience with Leupold is similar to mine>

My Tactical and F TR Rifles have Leupolds on them right now.

Several decades of Leupold use and very happy with the scopes and how they helped when ever I asked.

they are all thats on my rifles right now (i say that in a whisper round these parts)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it just puts my mind at ease knowing that there's a smoking hot receptionist.

so what did you think of the PSR? </div></div>
I'm no expert so take my reviews with a grain of salt, I'll leave the true reviewing to the pro's like Lowlight. I thought the PSR scope was awesome. It struck me as being built like a tank, very big and robust. It had nice turrets, good positive clicking and I like the second turn indicator. The reticle seemed really busy to me but that's just me. Now I only played with it for a little while but my initial impressions were very good and I thought it would have a nice home on my .300WM. Maybe next year...

As everyone said great story enjoyed reading it. I myself just picked up my first mark 4(2.5-8x36mm) and I'm thoroughly impressed I love the little thing. Would love to have more of them to replace the 3-9 hunting scopes I have. Has me wanting more mark 4s on my rifles for sure. Wish they made a low profile mil turret instead of the big tall one though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they are all thats on my rifles right now (i say that in a whisper round these parts) </div></div>

LMFAO! I think LL is changing his mind about them since the push to catch up to manufatures like NF, USO, PH and S&B.

Can their custom shop swap turrets on the scope? I've had work done by them and it was fast and the quality was outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As everyone said great story enjoyed reading it. I myself just picked up my first mark 4(2.5-8x36mm) and I'm thoroughly impressed I love the little thing. Would love to have more of them to replace the 3-9 hunting scopes I have. Has me wanting more mark 4s on my rifles for sure. Wish they made a low profile mil turret instead of the big tall one though. </div></div>

Awesome story. I only have one Leupold but also have a redfield for a hunting rifle. I love their quality but hate their price. But I always say... You get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mwalex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can their custom shop swap turrets on the scope? I've had work done by them and it was fast and the quality was outstanding.

</div></div>

Well the only low profile turrets that i know they have are MOA marked and on the MOA scopes. I'm not sure. I imagine as they're progressing with basically their "new" line of mark 4s they come out with more stuff.

Thanks for the story and your service. I pickup one of the 6.5-20x50 FFP M5 2010 along with a couple of 4.5-16 targer M4 for a couple of cooper 223s.

Regards, John
Retired USAF

i sent them a ultra 16x a few weeks ago to have it cleaned and looked over. they cleaned some junk off the reticle and replaced some parts. considering that it was built in 1984, and i sure as hell wasn't the original owner, they fixed it for free. very nice to deal with. i have several other leupold scopes on different firearms, and am happy with them all....

Great story. Glad to hear Leupold looks after the military guys. I have never had any problem with any of my Leupolds, but just have been purchasing them of late, though for no particular reason. Some of their new offerings do have me intriqued, especially now that there are matching turrets and reticles. I may be looking harder at them on one of my next purchases.

Leupold service is top notch, I had an issue with my 6.5x20 M5 and they immediately sent me next day air a replacement scope when I was in a course.

I guess I've never had a higher end Leupold and maybe that's what my problem has been, but I've tried their hunting scopes and haven't had good luck. Now, their customer service has always been great, but that still doesn't fix their bad products. Out of 5 Leupold scopes I've had, 3 of them have had to go in for repair, and 2 of those have had to go in for repair twice. The other two that I had that didn't have to go in for repair I never even mounted. They are the only scope that I've ever had fail on me and I've used some pretty questionable optics. That just really turned me off from them. Not to mention I felt like the glass was on where near the quality of what other brands like Burris and Vortex were putting out, and yet the Leupolds were costing more.

The first one I had was just a cheap VX-I. The glass on this one was worse than a Simmons I've got. Not much, and in the daylight I couldn't see a difference but in low light there was a difference and the Simmons was better. However, the glass was good enough for what I wanted to use. Upon going to sight it in I found the friction adjustments sucked. They weren't accurate at all or anywhere near accurate. I sighted it in before hunting season and in the middle of hunting season when I went to shoot the gun, I noticed the inside looked like it was shaking every time I shot it. Not the crosshairs, but the actual picture. I took if off and sent it in for repair. I got it back over a month later, and mounted it back on the rifle and sighted it in. I then put the gun up and didn't bring it out again until hunting season the next year. When I got it out and went to shoot it to make sure it was still sighted in, to my surprise it wasn't. Upon further inspection it was shooting all over the place. It would group 2 or 3 shots together, then the next group would be way and I mean way off, and it did this all day long. It seemed to move greatly every couple of shots. This time I took it off and replaced it with a Burris Fullfield II. The clarity difference was immediately noticeable and the Burris was much clearer with more vibrant colors. It also blew the Leupold away in low light, yet was $30 cheaper and had a free Garmin eTrex GPS with it.

So the Leupold went back for repair one more time. This time I got it back in about 3 weeks and it works fine, and has for a couple of years. However, I did knock it over on the carpet once and it was several inches off. I've done much more than this with other similar priced optics and they have never moved. Once I dialed it back in, it did work fine though.

The next Leupold I got was another VX-I. A friend had one on his muzzle loader and hunted with it for a year. The next year he shot it to make sure it was still sighted in and it was. I was with him and confirmed it hit dead center, but about 1.5" high which is how he likes his sighted in. A couple of days later we were helping another buddy sight in his muzzle loader and my buddy pulled his out to show us all how well his shot. To his surprise the first shot didn't hit the target. So he shot again, also not on the target. He moved in closer and finally got it on paper and tried to dial it back in, but it was just moving huge amounts with each shot. Just like mine had been doing only his was moving every shot. He got fed up with it and sold it to me really really cheap not wanting to deal with it. I wouldn't have bought it but for practically nothing I figured why not. I sent it in for repair and got it fixed. I ended up not using it and selling it as what I'd planned to put it on didn't pan out. This one did come back from their repair in just a couple of weeks so this one was much faster than the last.

Then my 3rd one I had was a Leupold Vari X IIc 3-9x40. I bought this one used at a good price and it had a big piece of dirt or something in it. This wasn't so much of a problem as I knew it was 14 years old from the serial number. I wasn't too upset so I sent it into Leupold and they fixed it. It took over a month once again to get this thing back. When I got it back I looked at it outside quickly and it looked fine. I then mounted it on a rifle and went to shooting. It shot fine. When I got home I looked through it and once again dirt was on the inside of the scope. I actually couldn't tell if it was dirt or cracks in the coating on the internal lens. It almost looked like a coating was cracked or scratched. I also am not sure if this happened while I shot the 50 rounds or so and it knocked something loose, or if it was like this when I got it back and I didn't notice it. So it went back to Leupold once again and this time they fixed it and got it back out to me the same day it got there. I was a little bothered by this as I feel like this should have been fully taken care of the first time I sent it in for this issue instead of them doing a half assed job and sending it back only for me to have to waste time sending it in again.

Then the other two I bought were another Vari X IIc I got an incredible deal on. A guy offered to buy it from me before I had a gun to put it on so I sold it.

The next one was a Leupold VX-II. I'd heard that the VX-II's were much better in the glass quality department from the VX-I's and since the VX-I's were kind of lacking I wanted to give the VX-II a shot and see how it was. I got it and honestly it wasn't really all that much better. The click adjustments felt better than the friction adjustments, but they still kind of sucked, and the glass was honestly just a tad bit behind the Burris FFII. This time the glass was close, but the FFII still got the edge imo and the Leupold this time cost quite a bit more than the FFII. I ended up disappointed and just sold this off without ever mounting it. So I can't say if it worked or held up as I never used it or the Vari X II mentioned above that I sold.

I've also ran into several other people at the range and through friends, that have had issues with Leupold's from the VX-I through the VX-3 line. I've only met one person that has a few Leupolds and hasn't had issues with them, yet I've met several that have had issues in addition to myself.

So those have been my experiences. If they can't make a decent $300 optic when many other companies do, I'm hesitant to spend upwards of $1000 on one of their products, where there are other companies that are putting out exceptional products for similar prices. Not to mention all of the issues I keep reading about online.

So yes, I'd like to support an American company, and yes I do like their warranty and service, but I'm not willing to buy a sub par product and a premium price just because they are made in America. I truly hope the Mark 4 line is a lot better than their hunting scopes, but I'm just too afraid to drop that kind of cash on one to see.

Outstanding service.... I have close close to a dozen Leupold optics. Their products have always stood up to the environment. From hot summer days, to below zero days in the tree stands to those cold rainy days in the tree in November. Never once have they failed me. I also have some higher end Nikon and Zeiss and my Leupold always have outperformed!
Glad to hear of the experience you had!

Awesome info on the military discount at leupold! Already made it to the site to register! Prices look good!

14 year old optic...They fixed it for free...What are you bitchin about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 year old optic...They fixed it for free...What are you bitchin about? </div></div>That it took them a month and they didn't really fix it so that I had to send it back a second time.

That being said, I couldn't be too upset about that one. I was a little more upset about the brand new one failing 6 months after I got it, and another 9 months after I got it back from being repaired. That one bothered me the most, but then the second VX-I failing to hold zero after not much use didn't instill confidence in their product for me either.

While they have good service and will fix their products, I prefer not having to use the customer service and have the product not fail on me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowr1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 year old optic...They fixed it for free...What are you bitchin about? </div></div>That it took them a month and they didn't really fix it so that I had to send it back a second time.

That being said, I couldn't be too upset about that one. I was a little more upset about the brand new one failing 6 months after I got it, and another 9 months after I got it back from being repaired. That one bothered me the most, but then the second VX-I failing to hold zero after not much use didn't instill confidence in their product for me either.

While they have good service and will fix their products, I prefer not having to use the customer service and have the product not fail on me. </div></div>

Since your having so many problems with leupold. Why do you keep buying them. And with your scope not holding zero.... did you ever stop to think that your rifle might need a bedding job? I've had wandering zero's on factory rifles all the time because they don't fit the stock right. And I've spent $3,000+ on an optic and had to send them back to be repaired. Shit happens.

Leupold was and will always be my first love, I mean they popped my long range cherry. My experience is mostly with mark 4s that the military uses but I have seen them take a lot of abuse from multiple deployments and training and not have a problem yet. I own three mark 4 scopes personally and we have eight on sniper rifles in our arms room. All of them still work like new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowr1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 year old optic...They fixed it for free...What are you bitchin about? </div></div>That it took them a month and they didn't really fix it so that I had to send it back a second time.

While they have good service and will fix their products, I prefer not having to use the customer service and have the product not fail on me. </div></div>

Since your having so many problems with leupold. Why do you keep buying them. And with your scope not holding zero.... did you ever stop to think that your rifle might need a bedding job? I've had wandering zero's on factory rifles all the time because they don't fit the stock right. And I've spent $3,000+ on an optic and had to send them back to be repaired. Shit happens. </div></div>Well, why I keep buying this has been various reasons. However, I only own one at the moment. One of them came on a gun that I really wanted. I ended up selling the scope. 2 of them I bought because I got such incredible deals that I couldn't pass them up. The VX-II I bought, I bought to see if it was much better than the VX-I and older Vari X II like everyone had told me it was. Turns out it wasn't.

That being said, I'd still buy one if I got a great deal on it, but that's the only reason.

As for the rifle, that's not the case. The ones that have failed have all been on different guns. Both of them went from shooting well to shooting all over the place, and when replaced with a different scope was put on top, they went back to shooting well.

I'm not saying you don't get a lemon now and then, but I just don't think the Leupolds as far as hunting scopes are that great of scopes as like I said, that's the experience I've had with them. I just find it funny I've used everything from $30 scopes on up, and the only one I've ever had fail has been a Leupold, and I've had 3 of them give me issues. If a Simmons can hold up on a hunting rifle, I don't see why a Leupold can't for 10x the price.

However, like I said, I've never used Leupolds tactical scopes. They may be great for all I know, but after reading of so many people having issues, coupled with my experience with the ones I've had, I'm not to eager to try them to see. There are much better scopes out there in a similar or less price range like the SWFA SS scopes, and a few others.