• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My little Savage A17 project...

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
Got the custom stock from Boyd's yesterday, only took about 2 weeks from time of order to my doorstep. Changed out the cheap plastic charging handle for a metal one, threw the Harris on there, a rail and the NF scope from my big gun which I don't shoot much anymore. Bedded the tang and recoil lug with a bedding kit from Midway. Shoots great so far from the roof of the Ranger, will get to see this weekend from a real bench what it can do.

I love this little cartridge btw, my first one, what a blast to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    717.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 59
I'd like to see if the 17wsm holds tight at 200 yards.
It'd be nice to see the ammunition chronograph numbers for more than 5 shots.
Being a Winchester rimfire product, I'm not real optimistic about the results.
I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I'd like to see if the 17wsm holds tight at 200 yards.
It'd be nice to see the ammunition chronograph numbers for more than 5 shots.
Being a Winchester rimfire product, I'm not real optimistic about the results.
I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
This is a 17 HMR, different cartridge than the WSM. I’m hoping to see how it does this weekend if I can find some time to get to the range. Need a calm day for these little guys to see what they’re really doing, even at 100 yards that little 17 grain bullet gets pushed around!

Ooops, I have to learn to read and pay attention to the details a bit better.
Y'er right, the CCI A17 is a bit faster 17 hmr cartridge.
I sent fifty at 200 yards to see how they'd hold at that distance, not bad.
The 17 ballistic tips are less affected by wind than the 22lr or the 22wmr.
Higher muzzle velocity and smaller cross section means less time and surface area for wind or gravity to shift the trajectory.

Link to target and chrony data

Last edited:
Ooops, I have to learn to read and pay attention to the details a bit better.
Y'er right, the CCI A17 is a bit faster 17 hmr cartridge.
I sent fifty at 200 yards to see how they'd hold at that distance, not bad.
The 17 ballistic tips are less affected by wind than the 22lr or the 22wmr.
Higher muzzle velocity and smaller cross section means less time and surface area for wind or gravity to shift the trajectory.

Link to target and chrony data
No worries, I was surprised by what it could do so far. I shot some 10 shot groups off the top of my utv at 100 yards and it would generally keep them inside an inch or so, with 2-3 fliers here and there. I want to see what it will do when I can get it to a good solid concrete bench and really take some time to make every shot count. It seems much more fun (and effective) than my .22 rifles so far. We will see how that lasts after the honeymoon phase!