• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My low budget Stevens 308 winter build for $800

2guard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
nashville, tn
I was wanting another 308 after building my 6.5cm and every place being out of the hornady match ammo for it, so I decided to build a low budget winter project. It took me about a month to find a nice action to start on, but I picked one up on savageshooters for $250 delivered. It included:
Stevens short action, bolt, barrel nut (with 473 bolt face)
Rifle Basix trigger
Stockade Recoil Lug
SSS or Stockade Tactical bolt handle (not sure which one)

I found a choate tactical stock on longrangehunting that was for the 4.275 short action blind mag that I offered the guy $140 shipped for and he took it. It was painted metallic dark green, and ugly, but it was solid and had everything with it (swivels, spacers, bipod boss). I stripped it down, sanded it, primed it, over and over. The rynite stuff is a PITA to prep and paint. I had a lot of trouble getting anything to adhere to it, and my brother finally gave me some specialty primer plastic that did the trick. So I painted it in a Nighthawk tactical camo pattern variation, and put some satin clear over top. Looks tons better than the metallic green crap that was on it when I got it.

I also picked up some great buys on gunbroker. I grabbed a warne 20moa base from a guy in georgia who had a $24.95 buy it now. I ended up with only $30 by the time it shipped to TN. I think these are around $90 new.
The second jewel was a Millett 4-16x50 TRS1 I picked up for $110 shipped. The guy actually had 2 of them listed for starting bids of $100 and I bid on both of them, but some one ran the other one up in the last few minutes and I wasnt near my computer. When I received the millett, it was the newer model with 1/4" clicks and was also sporting some TPS medium rings. Turned out to be a really good deal for $110. For the price, I figured I could put it on my 22lr trainer if I didn't like it.
Originally I had planned to put a take-off 308 barrel on the stevens action, but after being really lucky with the aforementioned deals, I decided to just go ahead and order a Mcgowen barrel. I shot Dan Wynne over at Mcgowen an email with the specs on what I wanted, and he sent a price back. I thought about a varmint contour, but went with a bull, 1" at muzzle, 18" stainless matte finish. Barrel is a 1/10 twist. Price was $260 plus shipping with a 4-6 week wait.
So that's where I'm at, waiting on the barrel, which should be here next week (I'm hoping). With everything mentioned above, I will have $800 in everything needed to shoot. This includes and aftermarket stock, trigger, and recoil lug, custom barrel, tactical bolt handle, and some decent low end glass and a nice base and rings. So if anyone out there is wondering if you can build a nice 308 for under $1000, here it is. I haven't mounted the millett yet, I have a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 on it I had laying around for pics. I will be posting some more pics when I get the barrel in, and after I shoot it.
oifw55.jpg

6h846s.jpg

Re: My low budget Stevens 308 winter build for $800

Awesome. I'm looking to do the same project next year, but the opposite caliber. I'm wanting to do a 6.5CM

I have a Stevens 200 long action build going. It was supposed to be a cheaper 30-06 build. But is quickly becoming my "blown out of budget build".
mike rock blank, timney trigger, manners t4, cdi bottom metal, egw rail, and several mags add up quick.

Thats cool,now i want to see it done!!,lol.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

Good Pick Up! I saw that action on savage shooters, great deal! I'm a lefty, otherwise I would have picked it up myself.

I've got a buddy who's looking to get into the long range game- I'll refer him to your thread.

Does your cost include chambering and threading the new barrel?

Mcgowen sells their savage barrels as a prefit, already chambered and threaded. You just tell them if its a large or small shank savage barrel, and then the caliber, twist, length, contour, material, and crown. They run specials on a regular basis. Right now a savage prefit in ss is $265 plus shipping. I paid $300 shipped for my 6.5creedmoor, but they had to rent a reamer because they weren't set up for the 6.5cm at the time. Reamer rental was $40, but they had a 15% off sale, so my total shipped was right at $300 on the creedmoor barrel. The 308 barrel was $260 plus shipping (last time s&h was right around $10).

I have go/no-go gages and the barrel nut and action wrench already from previous builds. They are a one time cost, unless you want to buy and recoup funds after installing the new barrel. I bought the barrel nut wrench and action wrench when they were on sale at midway (at different times) and have about $80 in both of them.

just an update on this project. I decided to sell the millett because I the glass in my vortex better, and the millett is an anchor. I also received my barrel around the first week of the year, but havent had time to update or install it, let alone go shoot (now even worse with the weather here). The no taper 18" barrel is 1" at the muzzle and looks great and total overall length is 38" and the total weight with optics and mounts is 11 lbs 14oz (no bipod). I've got some 168gr Black Hills and Federal GMM to run through it when I get out to our range again. I may have the barreled action cerakoted, but the ss barrel and black action is growing on me. I tried to pick up one the mcmillans that were on sale for the savage sa but I, probably like many others, was too late. I guess I'll shoot it in the choate for a while.
6ss9q0.jpg

vwva79.jpg

Bargain build. Love it! I will be able to invest more into builds once the kids are off to college. Right now it's "as cheap as I can get" it without sacrificing the detail things that make all the difference. Nice looking rig it's turned out to be. CD

Very nice. Looks alot like my rig. My Mcgowen 7mm-08 barrel is on the way so I'm hoping to have it mounted and shooting by the end of the month.

Another thumb up for a fellow bargain builder.

Good luck,
Merritt

2guard nice stick what did you end up priming your choate with i'm about to paint mine any info would be greatfull.

I really dig the paint job you threw at it... very nice indeed!!

DK

very nice! especially for the price! good job

nice build if i havent said so already. i know what you mean, mine is SS too. i didnt want to paint it but i did with a cheapy paint. it will spray off or wipe off with thinner. nice weight on it too. thats light. that was a score on that millett and it is an anchor, lol. ill upgrade eventually.

That paint job almost hides the choate stock. Might have to do something like that to mine!

Nice build, you have a great rifle for the cost of a medium priced factory rifle. I'll bet yours outshoots most of them. Guys, if you do end up painting this type of stock, go to your local auto body supply store and ask for PPG brand plastic adhesion promoter. It comes in a spray can. Wipe down with acetone or another degreaser, and do three coats with the PPG stuff before painting. I used to do car interiors and rifle stocks and this will make your paint stick really well.

thanks for all the kind words. I hope I can get out to shoot it before spring.
The primer I used was something similar to the adhesion promoter mentioned above by mnshortdraw, but was some off brand stuff my brother had given me. He had used it on a bumper I think, and had some left over. I only put two coats on the stock because it was all I had been given.

Finally got out to shoot this thing today. It was about 60 degrees here with winds swirling from 10-15mph on the range, and about 30% humidity. These are the first 30 rounds through the new barrel, with the first target being a 10 shot with boresight. The rest are five shot groups at 100. They are all shot with Federal GMM 168gr.The 200-400 range was not open today because they did not have enough RSOs working. On a cool note, the guy mext to me had a new fn scar 17s. Was a sweet rifle, but he was feeding it cheap ammo, which blew my mind. If you are going to spend $2500+ on a rifle, at least buy some decent ammo. Anyway, I thought these were pretty decent for the first day out with it. All of the 5 shot groups are under an inch, with the best one being just under 3/4". All are measured from edge to edge, and I DO NOT subtract for bullet diameter or anything. I suppose they would be a little smaller if I did and would ssound better on forums, huh?
2jfkrc8.jpg

sdmvrs.jpg

25z11s1.jpg

Congrats from a fellow Stevens custom builder. You did a fine job and that is GREAT accuracy out of factory ammo. You should be proud.

Good Luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All are measured from edge to edge, and I DO NOT subtract for bullet diameter or anything. I suppose they would be a little smaller if I did and would ssound better on forums, huh?
</div></div>

It's not about sounding better, but there is typically a correct way to measure things. I'm pretty sure c/c is an accepted way to measure and describe groups.

Nice rifle. That's a pretty cool paint job.

I would like to know how you like that votex scope. I am thinking about buying one for a long range hunting rig I am building. I just cant afford nf on everything. I was thinking about buying one with that reticle that has the different holds in it. Is it repeatable? How is the glass? Do you have anything else to compare to?

the vortex has been great. I have a few of the vipers in 6.5-20x44 and 6.5-20x50. they have held zero on the 308, 6.5cm, and a 300wsm I have had them on and the clicks are nice and positive and tracking seems to be dead on. I wish I had of picked up a few more when they were being cleared out ar cameraland. I'm going to order a PST before the summer is here, waiting right now to make sure all the bugs have been worked out of them.

Nice rig.. I've got a few myself and really like them. Looks like you can save some money and go down to the 2" targets since you are just wasting all that real estate on the 6" ones :)