• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My M40 Redfield accu range clones.

tokiwartooth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Hixson, Tennessee
Hey guys,
Haven't posted too much here, but I'm generally on m14tfl. Anyway, I've been experimenting for the last 3 months on duplication of the M40 Redfield accurange scope.
I've become very knowledgable of the nomenclature of these Redfields, including the AR TEL version. Anyway, I though I would post some of my Redfield accurange clones I've created through anodizing dye experimentation. I've done a few scopes for m14forum members.

Latest version. I've tried to duplicate the ultraviolet light affects on the OD green over time. This is the brassy color you see with most of the original scopes these days. This is using Caswell dyes.

In the lower eyepiece, I let the piece etch a bit longer in lye before anodizing, giving it a bit more distressed look.

Another experimental piece: Original OD Green finish on polished tube.

Customer scope. Mix of OD Green/Green on bead blasted finish.

OD Green on "roughed up" tube.

First experiments
Top: Black
Middle/Bottom: Using RIT clothing dyes. Poor quality color retention.

Cloning an AR TEL finish (Top original, bottom clone)

Metal prep.

Reactions: Cincylance
Hey guys,
Haven't posted too much here, but I'm generally on m14tfl. Anyway, I've been experimenting for the last 3 months on duplication of the M40 Redfield accurange scope.
I've become very knowledgable of the nomenclature of these Redfields, including the AR TEL version. Anyway, I though I would post some of my Redfield accurange clones I've created through anodizing dye experimentation. I've done a few scopes for m14forum members.

Latest version. I've tried to duplicate the ultraviolet light affects on the OD green over time. This is the brassy color you see with most of the original scopes these days. This is using Caswell dyes.

In the lower eyepiece, I let the piece etch a bit longer in lye before anodizing, giving it a bit more distressed look.

Another experimental piece: Original OD Green finish on polished tube.

Customer scope. Mix of OD Green/Green on bead blasted finish.

OD Green on "roughed up" tube.

First experiments
Top: Black
Middle/Bottom: Using RIT clothing dyes. Poor quality color retention.

Cloning an AR TEL finish (Top original, bottom clone)

Metal prep.

Just got new,grey dye working on ART II coloring now.

Tokiwartooth, nice work I just ask that you mark them in some way like Celtic rifles does, your black anodized Redfield listed on the M14 Forum looks almost a match to my original satin anodized accurange.

How much do you charge? And do you purge and nitro refill the scopes when your done? I'm doing an M40 clone and this is what I've been looking for.