• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My my....What a difference a properly mounted scope base makes.

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
I have a Savage Model 10 in .308Win. This rifle has always been a hunting rifle, as I have never been able to get it to shoot better than 1.5" groups at 100yds. A week or so ago, I was cleaning it and noticed an odd noise as I was moving from bench to safe....turns out the scope base was loose, but just barely. Further investigation showed that all 4 mounting screws were loose (again, just barely). Re-torqued with some blue loctite, and replaced the accu-trigger with a Timney. Today at the range, that same ol' factory ammo shot consistently around 3/4". Definitely should have checked those screws long ago, but glad to see this old rig shooting a little better.

I draw a line with a metallic sharpie across the screws on my scope bases. My one AR has a mount that the rear screw kept backing out even with extra torque. Replaced the screw and no problems since. That little gold line defiantly saved me some headache.

Reactions: jlorensen