• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My Necks Are Too Large?

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I recently started loading for my FN PBR in 308.

I bought 285 pieces of new Lapua brass, non-Palma, to start.

I loaded up charges of Varget ranging from 42g to 44.5g under a 178 BTHP by Hornady and hit the range.

Velocities were to be expected out of a twenty inch barrel, starting around 2445 and topping out at 2588. At none of the charge weights did I see cratered or flat primers, nor was there any heavy bolt lift.

I hit the reloading room for a bit this morning and tried to size the once fired cases.

I could not get the press to size a neck to save my life. (Note, I'm not neck sizing.) I'm FL sizing with an RCBS Comp FL Die Set, but couldn't even get a whole neck into the neck sizing portion of the die. I was able to get about 1/2 of a neck sized before I thought I was going to break something.

Pulling the case out of the die, I noticed a donut around the bottom half of the neck that didn't size.

The fired case necks measure about .346"

The portion of neck that I was able to size measures at .327"

So, I've got two questions about this.

1. Is .346" rather large for a fired 308 case? I was expecting something in the .340-.342" range.

2. Why the hell can't I size this brass?

Fired Brass.jpg
    Half Sized Neck.jpg
    Neck Donut.jpg

Galled die?
    Not properly lubed?
    If bushing die, probably need to reduce dia in two or more steps.

Assuming 15 tho necks that die is way oversizing.

Picture of die ,please

Edit : In 2nd picture I see where the neck was wiped with rag.........necks shouldn't be that dirty coming out of die........clean your die and if you're not cleaning case necks before resizing....do so. The suggestion of using imperial wax is spot on . Still would like to see pic. of die.......I have a hunch of what "might " be going on , but I'll keep quite until I can see a picture.

Last edited:
    I was using the Hornady One Shot sizing wax.

I've sized other 308 brass from another rifle without any issues using the same wax.

Give me a few and I'll get a pic of the die.

• Haha
    Reactions: jakelly
    The necks on my Lapau 308 brass sized in an RCBS die are .333. I would say you have a bad die. My fired hornday brass is .345. Not sure what chamber LRI cut.

You need to seat a bullet and see where your necks diameter is after that. I run large rifle lapua brass in my .308 and I am using a .334 bushing for ~.002 neck tension. I have a tight chamber on a custom barrel but I am just over .342 on a fired case. In my eyes, you're definitely sizing the neck down quite a bit and your chamber may be a bit on the large side, but I don't really suspect either of those are your issue.

The donut is going to be there if you didn't size it all the way so I wouldn't worry about that, hell, I have donuts even when I do full length size with a bushing die - just part of the deal. Take your die apart and clean it up, next I would try using some better lube, I am partial to the imperial lube and foam roller pad spray junk hasn't really gotten me anywhere but stuck. You weren't using one shot, were you?

Die pics. This die does use the expander ball, but I've removed it as I'll be using a mandrel after sizing.

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_180329848.jpg
      PXL_20210520_180329848.jpg
      242 KB · Views: 63
    • PXL_20210520_180353765.jpg
      PXL_20210520_180353765.jpg
      242.6 KB · Views: 53
    I bought the die used and even though I've never heard of "breaking in" a die, I'm sure there's plenty of rounds on it.

Loaded round was .338 and new brass is .335 for a neck tension of .003"

What you’re describing is a lack of lube in the die. Get some imperial and break the die in.

After seeing picture , my hunch didn't pan out . ...... was thinking expander ball might have been too high. Imma go with the suggestion that chamber in rifle is on the " large " side of spec........ along with a minimum size for the die....equals a sizing nightmare........But I'd try imperial wax ,if in your shoes and see if it helps..........bet it does

Edit: As I stated above in other post....clean your die , if you haven't

If you want to try something you probably have on-hand, mink oil.

I was using the Hornady One Shot sizing wax.
    That stuff is ok but it’s not a pimple on the ass of imperial lube.

Bushing dies hate big sizing steps and make sure expander(if your using it) is situated well below the neck area of die.

Get a lee collet for the necks it laughs at big sizing steps.

After seeing picture , my hunch didn't pan out . ...... was thinking expander ball might have been too high. Imma go with the suggestion that chamber in rifle is on the " large " side of spec........ along with a minimum size for the die....equals a sizing nightmare........But I'd try imperial wax ,if in your shoes and see if it helps..........bet it does

Edit: As I stated above in other post....clean your die , if you haven't
    This! I had this exact same issue with my Remington 5R. Chambers with large throats lead to brass that does not size well with neck sizing bushing.

I learned this after talking with Redding technicians. They advised not using bushing dies to step down more than 2 or 3 thousands at a time.

That stuff is ok but it’s not a pimple on the ass of imperial lube.

Bushing dies hate big sizing steps and make sure expander(if your using it) is situated well below the neck area of die.

Get a lee collet for the necks it laughs at big sizing steps.

I think his die is the non-bushing version

So clean the die to make sure you don’t have brass galling. If you don’t have imperial, use whatever lube on top of the hos. Lube the inside of the die. Run the case partially into the die, pull out, relube the case, go in deeper, pull out, relube, go in all the way. After 2-3 cases your die will be gtg.

So clean the die to make sure you don’t have brass galling. If you don’t have imperial, use whatever lube on top of the hos. Lube the inside of the die. Run the case partially into the die, pull out, relube the case, go in deeper, pull out, relube, go in all the way. After 2-3 cases your die will be gtg.
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

My RCBS die sizes necks down to .328”
    Mine probably does too, what I measured would have been what the expander ball made it. I wasn't thinking it all the way through.

I give most new dies a quick polish with some 600 grit.

Just noticed you have the mandrel removed- never mind. But, you are using the worst “lube” I’ve ever seen. Oughta change the name from One Shot to One Stuck.

Reactions: HK-93 and 918v
    How do you guys manage to screw up one shot??? I switched from imperial and will never ever go back go waxing cases by hand. Dreaded loading ammo because of it.

I've sprayed one shot directly into a bag of brass and shook it around and stood em up in a loading block and sprayed em. I haven't stuck one yet and I've done thousands.

Maybe because I clean my dies so ewhat regularly? Idk.

One Shot oughta come with a 25% off coupon for a stuck case removal set. One Shot is the PTG of case lubes, be patient, it’s coming...

How do you guys manage to screw up one shot??? I switched from imperial and will never ever go back go waxing cases by hand. Dreaded loading ammo because of it.

I've sprayed one shot directly into a bag of brass and shook it around and stood em up in a loading block and sprayed em. I haven't stuck one yet and I've done thousands.

Maybe because I clean my dies so ewhat regularly? Idk.
    It's not spray, it's wax, same as imperial in a little can that looks like chewing tobacco.

images.jpeg

Reactions: Mauser06
    Oh, well then it’s not an application issue like I thought. It’s a die issue. Put some on a q-tip and lube the inside of the die.

Learn something new every day. Didn't realize Hornady made a One Shot wax.

Sounds like the issue is corrected. Clean your dies every so often.