• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My neighbor getting sued over dog bite.

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
Several weeks ago my neighbors house was broke into. They own a 4yr old Genman Sheperd that has full reign of the house and yard. That is to say it can go it and out anytime it wants with or without the owners being at home.

Anyway, someone broke into his house while he was away. His GS attacked the intruder and left several nice blood spills around the house. Police was called nothing taken, only some minor property damage and a broken window. I keep asking for the video footage but greg says the police took it for evidence. The would be thief was caught at the local hospital for severs dog bites to the right arm. Case solved right.

Yesterday he was notified that the robber is sueing him over the hospital bills, injuries and mental trama sustained at his residence for 1.5 mil. How the heck can this happen. Thank you southern Cali lyberals.

My prayers go out to Greg and I hope his home owners insurance will cover this.

Re: My neighbor getting sued over dog bite.

Good thing the theif didn't raid the fridge and get sick from the food he ate - check your local laws on that one, too.

I'd turn around and file a counter lawsuit for mental anguish for not feeling safe in my own home (due to the break in) and for my GS having Post Traumatic Stress disorder. I'd ask for the exact amount he was asking for.

People can sue for anything. Doesnt mean they will collect. Just turn it over to your homeowners insurance.

Looking up laws for the last couple of days in reguards to home ownership. The home/ land owner has no protection of rights if anyone gets injured on said property for any reason. Futher looking things up I read(not posting here cause I dont know if real or not) where a thief sued the L.A. Musem for falling through the skylight during an attempted robbery. Thief won over 2 mil. Another theif cut himself on the window breaking into a house. Severe enough he called 911 while at the residence got arrested and treated. Sued and won 800k. Family sues neighbors after their kid was survalence video taped climbing said neighbors fence and abusing neighbors dog and then was bitten from said dog. The family won 1mil on their own negligence for their kid. Woman sues a baby walker company after she negligently let her baby, in a baby walker, walk of second story balcony. She won 1.5 mil for her negligance. WTF is this comming to.

and who says stupidity or crime dont pay.

Sure is alot of drama there Smith. While you say you wont post the lawsuits because you are not sure they are true you infact did post them!

While I'm sure its great fun to blame all that is wrong with the great State of California on liberals, trying spelling that word the way God intended, fact is oddball lawsuits are filed in all 50 states, even the red ones.

I know, it is sad times we live through, sadder still because for every sad sack one can drag in here to rant about, some very conservative folks are suing for assinine reasons.

I'd go find a pet psychiatrist and get the German shepherd some meds. Claim that the dog is now depressed and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after this horrible ordeal.

Then counter sue the robber for f'ing-up the dog's quality of life, and the companionship you enjoyed.

Chances are a liberal juror will take the side of a suffering animal over a suffering human. They have to make the dog out to be the victim in this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People can sue for anything. Doesnt mean they will collect. Just turn it over to your homeowners insurance. </div></div>

Homeowner's liability insurance co will settle with the guy and the shitty part is you won't have any say in the matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People can sue for anything. Doesnt mean they will collect. Just turn it over to your homeowners insurance. </div></div>

Homeowner's liability insurance co will settle with the guy and the shitty part is you won't have any say in the matter. </div></div>

Then the insurance company will drop you. When you go to find new insurance, your rates will be higher because your dog bit someone.

Jamie

Find out where the thief lives, and turn the dog loose in his house. Then He can sue himself....if He lives.

I wonder if it has dawned on the burgler that the lawsuit is, in effect, a confession that he was trespassing as well as breaking and entering. Hopefully a judge will see it that way.

Maybe they should start punishing the lawyers that are willing to represent these idiontic lawsuits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if it has dawned on the burgler that the lawsuit is, in effect, a confession that he was trespassing as well as breaking and entering. Hopefully a judge will see it that way.

Maybe they should start punishing the lawyers that are willing to represent these idiontic lawsuits.</div></div>

All it would take is for a state to pass legislation that someone breaking the law has no claim to civil litigation against property owners.

That is crazy.But people can sue anybody for any reason.Just a waste of the courts time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maybe they should start punishing the lawyers that are willing to represent these idiontic lawsuits.</div></div>

All it would take is for a state to pass legislation that someone breaking the law has no claim to civil litigation against property owners. </div></div>

That's gonna happen in California when pigs can fly.

That's nuts! Too bad your dog didn't just eat him.

That's nuts! Too bad your dog didn't just eat him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yeticowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To bad the dog didn't just kill him. He can't sue if he's dead. </div></div>

Yeah but his 7 kids from 6 different mothers can...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People can sue for anything. Doesnt mean they will collect. Just turn it over to your homeowners insurance. </div></div>

Unfortunately there appears to be something of a precedent for these cases being found in favor of the 'victims' especially in California. I'd like to think that there is/are information/circumstances outside the public's realm that led to these types of decisions but my gut say there isn't...

Not my Dog, Gregs dog, My neighbor. I am picking up my New Puppy this week. Also if home owners insurance does pay out, then Greg would be Black Listed and insurance would be hard to get. Definatly expensive. But I agree with the post on here earlier.

" All it would take is for a state to pass legislation that someone breaking the law has no claim to civil litigation against property owners. "

Didn't I read that some state actualy did pass this in one of their home defense/gun laws this past month.

I have zero faith in our justice system, the law enforcement side works, the prison side does a good job of punishment but the middle part is aweful, discusting and worthless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have zero faith in our justice system, the law enforcement side works, the prison side does a good job of punishment but the middle part is aweful, discusting and worthless. </div></div>

I have to take exception with this statement. While there are many fine and upstanding officers there are also a large number of morons who are either dirty themselves or so stupid they fuck up even simple stuff and then have to alter the truth to get out of it. And the penal system is just as dirty.

Bad laws
Dirty cops
Dirty lawyers
Dirty judges
Lousy prisons

So the whole systemis fucked up.

Hope your buddies case works out.

Dang, did they change the 'If you are commiting a crime, anything that happens is your resposibility'? That used to be the part of any criminal act when I lived back home in Nor-Cal.

Freakin assclown deserves every single fang puncture, laceration, w/e he got anyway.
I would counter sue for say $3M for PTSD for the dog, Virus testing for the dog to insure he didn't catch anything from the blood of the criminal, and further retraining so the poor dog can get back to being a careful family dog after this challenging fight he got into when the bad man called him evil names and yelled at him

It does not matter what happpens, you can sue for anything, the argument will be if it is found frivulas. But the mention of a suit usually allows insurance companies payout. Greg did turn this over to the insurance company.