• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My New .22LR - 200 Yard Target

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
I didn't get to the range today so I decided to make a new
200 yard .22LR target. Nothing fancy, it has a 4" center, and
the rings are 1/2", making the target 7" dia. I can run these
targets off at home on my copier, and I wanted a heavy "cross
hair" in the center of my target for aiming purpose. It's on
an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I don't know about the rest of you
but I have trouble seeing hits in the black and prefer a white
background for .22LR shooting. Thought I'd share this with SH.

It's not perfect, but it'll do for now.
smile.gif

100_0374.jpg

Re: My New .22LR - 200 Yard Target

I would say that bull of 4" is about right. I was just out today shooting my steel swinger at 175m, the top is 4.5" and I was getting fairly regular hits as long as I read the mirage right downrange, and read the wind correct. I learned a LOT about reading the mirage through the scope today. Need more practice. Good thing it's only going to get hotter!

Branden

I should have mentioned that the cross-hair on the target is 3 inches, though I'm sure everyone could figure that out after looking at the target's 1/2" rings.

So far todays weather looks promising for an early morning trip to the Range, but there is a threat of rain in the forecast and the wind is suppose to be North at 14 mph,,, so we'll see how it plays out. We can't start shooting until 8:00 am at our local Range. I should be set up at 200 yards by then or a little after. Todays target will be much like the one above - only with no 1/2" rings, just a 4" heavy black cross-hair in the middle of the paper.

I did get out to the Range but conditions were bad. To dang windy for my taste. I did find out that I do not have enough adjustment in my scope to zero the cross-hairs in the center cross-hair of the target, so I settled for zeroing the scope cross-hairs on the target from 150 yards (the best I could do in the 10-14+ mph wind). Also learned not to spray adhesive target to cardboard anymore as taking off the targets you want to keep is not easy without getting some rips in the paper.

Here was my last 10 shots, I then packed it in. I'm close enough to a 150 yard zero that on the next decent day I can finish the job and decide then what to do about getting out to 200 yards. Shims or just use the Mil-Dots, or get a 20 MOA base??? I'm sure todays target is more representive of my piss-poor performance this morning then anything else. The wind was a handy crutch to lay some blame...
shocked.gif

I did chart the hits from 150 yards on a piece of scrap paper at the Range.
The group is 4 1/16" between shots #2 and #9
100_0375.jpg

Joe, I shoot my Anschutz 64 Silhouette with a 25 MOA MWERKS base. I have a MK4 10X on top. I have actually shot out to 400yds with plenty of elevation for that range. IMO I would get a 25-30MOA base for the .22LR and you could even get to 500?? Using the mildots most likely. I think your group is very respectable in 10-14mph wind.

Thanks Bjork. One thing we both know - we have no shortage of wind out here where we live.

Can I ask where you got your base from? Maybe I can find one for this Savage Mark II FVT?

I'd be happy with 200yds, but beyond that does sound inviting. Our local Range goes out to 300 and I would like to reach that some day.

MWerksLLC Jeff Madison, Makes mostly Anschutz stuff but I think he could make just about anything. HotRod9mm on this sit also makes rails for alot of rifles. MWERKS can make custom MOA to customer specs. Jeff is a great person to deal with.

We were laughing about the the ~13 MIL holdover required for 300Y with Wolf Match Target on Saturday. I'll have to get a angled base to get my M4 10x there.

For 305 yds I'm at 45 MOA shooting all sorts of cheap .22. The Wolf MT shoots extremely well in the Annie at 100yds. At 385-400, a paced distance, I shot a prairie dog after about 15 rds- 63MOA. An extremely lucky shot.

Thanks Bjork!
smile.gif

I think it would be a good investment, CubeWarrior.

I'm just now pushing the limits of .22LR and it's just as fun as my .308 with less $ out of my pocket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW makes a 20 MOA base for a Savage.

They will also make a acustom one to whatever you want(costs more though)

http://egw-guns.com/store/

</div></div>

I just ran across this site, Shiraz. It would seem I could get a 20MOA base right reasonable. It also appears my Ejection Port measures 1 5/8" on my Mark II FVT so it is the same as the 93, making it a newer reciever version according to EGW.

I think I'll start with one of those as the price is reasonable.

Bjork, I'd be happy with 200 yards, but I to want to push it out to 300. I do get a kick out of people at the Range when they see/hear you hitting metal at 150 to 175 yards out with a .22LR... It kind of confusses them at first, then they get interested.

.22LR is good long range sport IMHO!
smile.gif

If you'd like another option to the ramp. I have Burris Signature rimfire rings with +20 rear -20 front offsets. The closest I can zero is about 50 yds. I have around 60+ MOA up adjustment available. This is on a Barska 6-24x42

Joe, they get excited when your hitting steel at 300yds and always ask if I'm shooting a .17. The Barrets were out on Saturday making a hell of noise as compared to the .22. I felt a little out gunned. But when they see you dialing 4+ turns on the elevation they will come talk to you. Some of those guys are so arrogant.

Thanks fr3db3ar, I put an order in to EGW about two hours ago I guess it was. I got one of them 20MOA Tactical Picatinny Mounts coming. Hope it gets here before Saturday as I have the weekend off. (That is if Jury Duty this coming Friday doesn't interfer with the weekend...)

For you guys that use these MOA bases with a Mil-Dot scope, at what range do you normally zero your cross-hairs, before proceeding to use the Mil-Dots?

50 yds for me and dial for everything else.

50 yards for my zero.
I'm running a SuperSniper so I dial for everything untill I run out of 'up'
The diff between 25 and 50 yards is really small.

I do use mildots for wind hold-offs and target distance determination.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info!
smile.gif

Nice shooting, I've had the opportunity at shoot claybirds at 230 yds. took about 30 shots by the time I busted all three. I ran out of elevation on my cheap red head scope. I am going to switch scopes to a Nikon Monarch with bdc reticle hopefull that will give me the elevation required and will be using remington eley instead of remington golden bullets. Hopefully this will be better.

EGW emailed me and said the 20 MOA base was shipped/mailed today, so I think it's looking good that I'll get it before the weekend and be able to put it to use by Saturday.

I like the idea of clays at 200 yards, sounds like lots of fun. I'll be giving that a try once I get zeroed. I think those Remington Golden Bullets are high velocity aren't they? Subsonic bullets just may be the ticket for those clays. Are the Remington Eley subsonic by chance?

I've got about 1300 Eley Sport (1085 fps) on hand. They smell like lilacs, but they shoot pretty darn well. I'm going to buy some Wolf MT as I've read good stuff about this ammo and believe it rates a try.

Good luck with the new Remington Eley and let us know how it works.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How solid are the Burris Signature compared to Warne, etc? </div></div>
Ive been using a set on my ar15 with a 8-32x signature scope and it is always on target and Ive swapped out nserts many times with predictable results on target.
I use a sharpy to mark the offsets in relationship to the rings so I can swap out offsets for close range and long range.
I love them and can't imagine why they wouldn't be perfect for a rimfire.
I'm not sure how they would hold up on heavy recoiling rifles but I have been using a set for a long time with very consistent results on target from 100-800yrds.

For my 597 i'm kind of interested in making an adjustable hinge and clamp type base so I can do rapid and extreme changes in range and elevation needed for longer ranges with a 22lr.
I cant imagine it being to difficult.Time consuming yes,,But I think I could do a pretty sweet setup fairly easy.
Maybe I'm dreaming?
grin.gif

I think the only subsonic Remingtons are CB's and the Subsonics.

Remington/Eley are all subsonic. 1085fps

Try CCI Standard Velocity or Green Tags also. May be the ticket with your rifle.

Dang, I was hoping my EGW 20MOA Base would show up today, but it didn't. Well, guess I'll work with the old Lakefield bolt action single shot with 3-9x32 Bushnell scope in the morning. It needs a little Range time now and again also.
smile.gif