• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new .260 build finished and RANGE REPORT!!

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
I am getting ready to build a new rifle in .260. This will be my next range toy and will sit along side my .308 Savage FCP-10 McMillian. The barrel and action wrench and some of the parts are ordered and the rest will be soon. The new build will be as follows:
.260 rem 26" stainless CBI w/ 11 degree crown 1-8 from NSS
New SS recoil lug.
If you are wondering about the CBI barrels I have copied info below:
<span style="color: #FF0000">Northland Shooters Supply is officially announcing the launch of their sales with Criterion Barrels. Criterion Barrels, the button rifling division of Krieger Barrels, has assigned NSS as their retail outlet for the purchase of the Criterion Button Rifled Barrels. All of NSS initial stocking inventory will be a Stainless (Hand Lapped) Match Grade Savage Pre-Fit. </span>
Accurized .473 bolt face from Scott at Savage Gunsmithing
New Model 10 Centerfeed with accu-trigger action (rifle purchased for action and the New sporter barrel is for sale)
Will soon be ordering from Jeff a Choate A-5 inletted with CDI bottom metal. I am still open to suggestions on the stock and bottom metal if any of you have any first hand expierence with Savage builds.
EGW 20 MOA rail
As soon as my parts and tools arrive I will keep you posted on the build. I must add that Jim at NSS has been most helpful with my questions regarding my build and has put me in touch with some fine people in the industry to help me in the areas he has not be able to assist me with.

Re: My new .260 build

How hard has it been to get in touch with Jim at NSS? It has been 3-4 days since I sent him a PM and email and no replies. Im looking to build a 7-08 and was interested in these CDI barrels. Do you feel they will be on the same field as the benchmark, mcgowen, or other button riffled barrels?

I have only tried him by phone but I have reached him each time I have called. I know he was out for awhile and since he has been back has been flooded with emails and has not got them all ansewerd yet.
I have only researched these barrels and I have only expierence with Hart barrels so I cant tell you firsthand what to expect but I am hoping for precision results with the CDI.

What has me interested in the CDI is just the plain fact that they are built by krieger personnel in the same building as Krieger only thing is the cut riffling compared to the button of CDI. I want to give them a shot, mostly because NSS may have what I want in stock with less wait time compared to a built benchmark. But I just wonder if the benchmark or mcgowen is worth the wait over the CDI.

Sounds like a nice build you've got going there.Only thing I would change is the barrel....you do know that button rifling does not last as long and is not as precise as cut rifling? It is more of an "OEM" type process.Put up pics of the build when done and good luck!

Picked up dies, brass, and 140 Amaxs today. No parts here yet but hopefully anyday now I can start the build. I am having trouble finding 6.5 Bergers in my area are you guys having the same problem?

I have always gotten through to Jim. Sometimes I've left a message and if he hasn't called me back in 24 hrs, I call him again and he usually answers. I have two Criterion barrels on order. I don't think they are handlapped, I think they are honed. $345 shipped for a Savage pre-fit, SS, threaded barrel (+70), on a credit card (+3%) and five weeks instead of 16. I'm gonna give them a try. $0.02

Criterion article:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/krieger_criterion_tour.htm

Honing article:
http://www.sunnen.com/graphics/assets/documents/82424a8bbe67.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubicon-unlmtd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">midway has Bergers 140 amax have been hard for me to find! </div></div>

AMAXs are Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....you do know that button rifling does not last as long and is not as precise as cut rifling? It is more of an "OEM" type process. </div></div>

Tell that to: Hart, Lilja, Pac Nor, Shilen, and Lothar.

I think its CBI
smile.gif

Criterion Barrel Incorparated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .260 shoots lights out with 140gr A-Max pushed by 42.0grs of H4350 </div></div>

What kind of velocity are you getting?

Everything for the build is on order less the optics and mounts.Waiting on the brown truck to start bringing boxes soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think its CBI
smile.gif

Criterion Barrel Incorparated. </div></div>
I had bottom metal on my brain I reckon, ordered it today!

When did you order your barrel? I ordered a in-stock Shilen from him on the 26th. He did tell me it would be sometime towards the middle of this week before it shipped because of SHOT SHOW orders. Just trying to get an idea on how far behind he is. Keep us posted on the progress and your thoughts on the Criterion (almost went for one myself).

I made the order about two weeks ago, I talked to Jim today and it is suppose to be shipping Monday. I will post my progress when parts arrive.

I received my barrel,SS lug, and tools from NSS today. Hopefully my stock and CDI bottom metal will arrive tomorrow and I can start putting it all together.

11acxkw.jpg

UPS dropped off my barrel yesterday along with the SS Lug, action and barrel wrench from NSS.
Mailman has brought from Midway by EGW 20 MOA rail and Go-gauge and I got nice package from Jeff at CDI containing my Choate and bottom metal.
Today I took out the ejector from the bolt,cleaned the barrel then stepped back and drooled wishing I had my action back from the engraver so I could put this thing together.
Still waiting for my accurized bolt face to arrive but that won't stop me from assembling the rifle, I will just install it later and reconfirm headspacing when it arrives.
As far as dealing with all the suppliers, Jim Briggs at NSS has been super to deal with and his shipment was received in a reasonable time frame well packaged. Jeff at CDI is an outstanding guy as well, and his product and reputation speak for themselves. Scott at Savage Gunsmithing is waiting on his shipment from Savage with the .473 boltface I need and communication has been reasonable so far.
Optics should arrive from a fellow hide member next week and brass,bullets, and components are as always sitting on the bench ready for some load development. Berger 140 BTs and 140 Amaxs are the first ones I am going to try on top of H4350.
I hope to get some 6.5 lead flying next week.

I finally put her together this evening and I hope to have a range report by the weekend. Glass will soon be arriving from a fellow Hide member.
This rifle began as a package model 10 I bought for the action. I sold the barrel and stock and ordered the parts to build this rifle exactly like I wished. After hours of research I built this one myself and is my first do-it-myself rig. Savage is a simple action to build on and if I can do it any responsible person can do the same, certainly not rocket science. The only problem I had was the front bottom metal bolt had to be shortened to not interfere with the cycling of the bolt. About an hour and check and re-check of headspace and ready for the range.
.260 rem
Savage 10
CBI Kreiger 1-8" 11 degree crown 26" Stainless Match Heavy
Accu-trigger 3.5 Lbs.
CDI bottom metal five round mag.
Heavy SS lug
Choate A-5 w/front rail
Harris notched bipod
Soon I will be adding a new bolt knob and the new accurized bolthead.
2ymy4jc.jpg

2mm92dk.jpg

2w7q00o.jpg

Nice job.
Just put my son's new .308 Savage 11 in the same Choate stock a couple of weeks ago. It is a heavy mutha- but that's a good thing for a target stick. Nice, solid feel to it and I really like the palm swell.

Let us know how it shoots...

ms1wth.jpg

6o0jyp.jpg

I finally got to shoot my rifle today. I went out to my range with three loads five of each total fifteen rounds.The intent today was to give her a test drive and break in the new CBI barrel and I had no intention of critiquing various loads and groups. This is the first firing of the rifle since building it last night . I was extremely surprised to see what she turned in! Barrel was swabbed after each shot and first two rounds fired where off paper I made corrections and salvaged a three shot group with Varget and 140 Amax's. Group two IMR 4350 and 140 Amax's same point of aim slightly high right and tight. My mistake on third five shot string was not to change my point of aim or correct my dials and this string with 140 Berger Match BT's and H4350 grouped in with my second string of IMR 4350 for a ten shot group. I am extremly happy with my build and it is proving to be a sub-moa gun.Also worthy to note that this was shot with a El-cheapo Bushnell 3-10x40 package scope which came with the rifle I bought for a donor action with thick tree trunk like duplex hairs, stuck it on just to shoot the rifle. My new glass should be here soon and then I will give the new build a good range run! Glare is bad in the pics but that is a dime almost covering the ten shots from the second two loads.
100 yards off Bipod
56 degrees, sunny, wind 5-7 mph.

Man I can't wait for my Mcgowen tube to come in so I can put my .260 together. Should be any time now.....

Very nice build, you should be proud and happy with how she's grouping.

Good Luck,
Merritt