• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new AAC-SD, she's a shooter!

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
Finally got around to putting together a precision rig for some long distance shooting. I've had the bolt fluted, added a new bolt knob, EGW HD 20 MOA base, Burris XTR 30mm rings, bipod, and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope. Still waiting on an HS Precision stock, an AAC Cyclone suppressor, and I still need to swap out the stock trigger for a Timney I picked up.

RifleandScope2-1.jpg

I shot it for groups the other day to get a baseline, before I drop it in a new stock and swap the trigger, and this was my first group after getting it zeroed. Definitely happy with it so far.

1stAACGroup.jpg

Re: My new AAC-SD, she's a shooter!

nice boomstick and shooting

Thanks guys. I think with a lighter trigger pull I'll be able to keep the groups pretty small. And oddly enough, that flier was my first shot, not my last.

Federal Gold Medal Match in 175gr. I've got the equipment to reload, just haven't set it up yet.

Ok another noob question. What does the fluting do for the rifle?

Oh and nice rifle. I love mine!!! Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who did your bolt fluting?</div></div>
Chad Dixon over at LongRifles, Inc. did it during his groupbuy. Turned out really nice, I'm glad I did it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What height XTR ring's? </div></div>
Low, IIRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok another noob question. What does the fluting do for the rifle?</div></div>
Makes it look good, lol. Other than that, some people say it may help under extreme circumstances, like if there's mud or sand in the action, the flutes give that stuff somewhere to go instead of just jamming it up.

Spiral fluting like you see above is cosmetic. In extreme conditions it can actually cause problems. If you take a look at the bolt on an AI, you will see that it is only fluted where it makes contact inside the action. The part visible with the bolt closed is left solid in order to keep from pulling dirt IN to the action.

I was curious about the spiral fluting because my wife loves the way it looks and I may have it done to her rifle just for grins. She doesn't really care about the reliability aspect of it, and probably won't ever have to shoot her rifle while covered in mud.

Thanks for the info? As always I'm constantly doing research for mine and was wondering what "gains" I could make with fluting.

Cool rifle. I like mine. The bolt fluting looks really good.

Nice rig. I plan on buying a AAC-SD as soon as I can sell one of my ARs.