• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My New AAC-SD

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I recently picked up a new 700 AAC-SD (20" 308) after being without a bolt action 308 for about a year. I have my Sako TRG42 338L but sometimes that is just a little much (and $ to feed)! I read LoneWolf's budget build deal and did a good amount of reading on others' experience with the AAC-SD's. I decided I would not even bother shooting it with the factory stock and ordered a Bell & Carlson M40. Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base and Seekins low rings for optics mounting; would have liked a Seekins base as well but could not find one in stock anywhere, oh well. For a scope the new Vortex Viper HS-T sounded about right. I don't ever use my illuminated reticles and the lower price over the PST was appealing. I also liked the look of the clean / simple reticle. I also added an AAC non-mount Blackout flash hider. Mainly to protect the crown and well, it looks cool! Ended up at just about $1,700 total in it which isn't horrible I guess...

The main reason I went with the AAC-SD over the SPS Tac is because of the 10" twist. Ideally I want to shoot 178 Amax and sometime I might even want to play with some heavier bullets as well. I found some 178s in stock local and picked those up, ordered up 100 new Lapua cases and had some CCI BR2s on hand (thankfully). I also had a partial can of Varget that I used to work up some initial loads. So, Lapua Brass, CCI BR2, Varget, 178 Amax @ 2.820" overall length. I loaded 10 each @ 42.0, 42.5, 43.0, 43.5, and 44.0 grains. I then shot one 5 shot group at 100 and one 5 shot group at 200 for each load. The wind was calm at 100 but did start to blow / gust a little, probably 3-5 MPH cross wind at 200. Here's how it turned out:

So I'm thinking my sweet spot is 43.0 grains of Varget (now if I can ever find some more Varget...). Also, the .520" group above the middle dot on the 100 yard target is 43.0 grains, but with a 175 Nosler BTHP instead of the Amax. I loaded up 20 of those just to zero and play with, in addition to the 50 for Amax development. The 100 yard 43.0 dot... the last shot that is a little high and opened the group up didn't feel great. I don't want to play the "called flyer" game, but I think that .800" group is not the best it can do with that load. And I was very pleased with the 200 yard 1.050" group! All that with the stock Xmark Pro trigger, which I must say is not really that bad. Though I may order up a Timney 510 after reading how people rave about the difference...

So, it just feels "right" to have a model 700 in 308 again, and am very happy that the somewhat budget minded build is performing nicely. VERY happy with the B&C stock as well as the Viper HS-T!

Agree, that is the spot. I use 43gr of rl15 to mimic fgmm. Will likely switch to varget once the market stabilizes again.

I still haven't put mine together. I just got the AI Bipod for the versapod bipod. I just got a nightforce scope too. I can't wait to shoot it. Only thing, I wish I had a different brake. I'm also going to paint the entire rifle and scope with duracote (sp). Can't wait to get it out there.

bottom rifle.

I have a similar setup and its my first bolt gun. Started the project early in the Summer. Stock 700 SD-AAC with SWFA 3-15x42 and PDC chassis. I picked up all hardware except for the gun from the classifieds here, with the total coming in at about $1900.

From my first go at load development w/ VV-N150 and 175 SMKs, I was seeing similar groups (averaging about .850" w/ 5 shot groups) with the factory stock shooting from a bench. The front of the stock was dremeled a bit to keep it free floated under tension.

I'm pretty sure the gun can still out shoot me and I switched to practicing prone with the new chassis.

Buying a custom gun is an expensive and confusing proposition for someone with 0 experience in this, so this route is a good way to get new shooters suitably equipped and well on there way.

I have a similar setup and its my first bolt gun. Started the project early in the Summer. Stock 700 SD-AAC with SWFA 3-15x42 and PDC chassis. I picked up all hardware except for the gun from the classifieds here, with the total coming in at about $1900.

From my first go at load development w/ VV-N150 and 175 SMKs, I was seeing similar groups (averaging about .850" w/ 5 shot groups) with the factory stock shooting from a bench. The front of the stock was dremeled a bit to keep it free floated under tension.

I'm pretty sure the gun can still out shoot me and I switched to practicing prone with the new chassis.

Buying a custom gun is an expensive and confusing proposition for someone with 0 experience in this, so this route is a good way to get new shooters suitably equipped and well on there way.

People make the idea of a custom gun confusing. Truth is, 95% of the accuracy is in the barrel if not more. I have used 700s and savages, and use savages now because by and large they do not need trueing. Outside of that, it's just ordering the parts you want and having a local smith put it all together if you do not want to do it your self. I use the money I save to buy the chassis which makes it even easier to work on. Not done with load development but I am under .4 Moa now and I know it is more capable and likely .25 when it is all said and done.

Just worked up some loads myself of 165 nosler ballistics tip. Can't wait to get out tomorrow!
Heres my AAC-SD.
uploadfromtaptalk1377919732113.jpg

People make the idea of a custom gun confusing. Truth is, 95% of the accuracy is in the barrel if not more. I have used 700s and savages, and use savages now because by and large they do not need trueing. Outside of that, it's just ordering the parts you want and having a local smith put it all together if you do not want to do it your self.

A lot of the difficulty is in picking a cartridge for your application. There's a lot of options out there and it takes a lot of time/effort to really figure them all out and do the cost/benefit analysis.

Then some guys take it a step further and get reamers built for specific case/bullet combos. I can understand getting a barrel chambered and put on a trued action, but some of the other stuff I don't have my head wrapped around yet.

Have a chassis coming for mine. I am still working on load development for it. seems promising.

My New AAC-SD

Ya. I will stick with mag length unless the AICS mags is bigger than the factory internal.

Last edited:
In my AAC-sd I found imr4064 43.5gr with a 175smk or 178gr AMAX worked the best for me. Consistent 3/4-1 MOA with that loading. I used Lapua and hornandy match brass and FGM large rifle primers. COAL was 2.845 Long ass chamber in them 700's.

On another note original OP, have you been chrono your loads. Finding any blowback?

Last edited:
My AAC-SD shot about exactly the same groups when I had it in a B&C stock, it got a little better when I dropped it into a AICS AX chassis. It's a solid 3/4 MOA rifle with factory match ammo and when I get around to working up a handload I can probably get that reduced down a little bit more. Looks like you have a great set up going, good luck with it.

Nice shooting. I have the sps tactical. 1/12 twist. Shoots big holes with 42.9/43 grs or IMR 4064. Using 168gr AMAX. Seated 2.200 off OGive. Similar results with 2.180 OGive.

My New AAC-SD

In my AAC-sd I found imr4064 43.5gr with a 175smk or 178gr AMAX worked the best for me. Consistent 3/4-1 MOA with that loading. I used Lapua and hornandy match brass and FGM large rifle primers. COAL was 2.845 Long ass chamber in them 700's.

On another note original OP, have you been chrono your loads. Finding any blowback?

I used 43.5g 4064, 175 SMK in IMI brass and had ejector marks. Backed it off to 43.3, no more marks.

I also have the AAC-SD. I have and continue to enjoy practicing/learning with it. I have upgraded it over the course of time. I try to keep improving it to match my skill level. I use self discipline to improve a weak area in my skill level before I allow myself to upgrade to address the performance of the rifle. I have found this saves me frustration and money. I enjoy the learning much more by improving my skill set first rather than throwing money at technology to overcome my weak areas. Enjoy.

OP,
Great set up for your needs and awesome shooting. Looks like you have a very good load worked up.

DeadSilence,

Great plan to improve your shooting.

Regards, Paul

I also have the AAC-SD. I have and continue to enjoy practicing/learning with it. I have upgraded it over the course of time. I try to keep improving it to match my skill level. I use self discipline to improve a weak area in my skill level before I allow myself to upgrade to address the performance of the rifle. I have found this saves me frustration and money. I enjoy the learning much more by improving my skill set first rather than throwing money at technology to overcome my weak areas. Enjoy.

The problem I have with this philosophy is that it's hard to tell if your skill is getting better when your equipment is unpredictable. When practicing you have no idea if you're screwing up or if there is something funky with the rifle.

The problem I have with this philosophy is that it's hard to tell if your skill is getting better when your equipment is unpredictable. When practicing you have no idea if you're screwing up or if there is something funky with the rifle.

So question, how many times have you upgraded equipment but there just isn't a measurable improvement?
That means it is probably the shooter or you upgraded equipment that had no effect on the results.

I counted how many times I did that. So I came up with just under 70% of the time. I made a promise to myself that I would not make that mistake again.
Now I work on the skill part for way longer than I probably should, and then when I do finally upgrade equipment I am so much happier with the improvement shown and with my choice of upgrade because I have given myself time to research it to death before I pony up with the money for the upgrade. I used to just rush to a decision on the equipment and sometimes have to buy more than once. Now I spend less money and make smarter equipment choices and improve quicker because I am not allowing the equipment to be the crutch

OP, 43-43.5 is a good node with Varget in mine, IIRC I use 43.2 with Lapua brass and a couple tenths more for Winchester brass. There will be another node around 44.4-44.6 as well if you feel you need another 50-60 fps. Also if you can find AR-comp, 40.8 works well with Lapua brass.

**update on the AR-comp 40.8 load, 2497fps SD-12... I also ran a seating depth test with what I believe is smk's (midsouth 175 grain overruns) COAL favored was 2.825"
[MENTION=18367]AJBello[/MENTION]
2nd update, shot Wednesday, left is 40.8 AR-comp (used dope for 2500fps) and right is 43.2 Varget (used dope for 2550) both with 175's at 700y (center target is a impact from my 6xc...) of course I had to drop one in each for good measure but you get the idea.

007-1.jpg

Last edited: